Dragon tactics for weaklings

essexfuzz

I have definitely geared my character towards being the cowardly sneaky stab you in the back and run away type. Because of this I am having a lot of difficulty fighting dragons now. I think I have only killed maybe 4 so far. The two I am running into now are a frost dragon near Windhelm and a blood dragon near a swamp. They both destroy me before I can get even 1/4 of their health down.

Anyone with a build similar to mine (light armor, low health, 1handed swords and daggers) have any useful insight for me?

Well if you don't have archery (and you probably don't otherwise you'd mention it) I say shoot it with staffs; although I heard that a fireball staff will do more damage as your destruction improves. But you don't have a choice. Why didn't you increase your archery? I mean it should've been obvious that you need some ranged skill why did you let your character get to level 30 and still no ranged? If you haven't invested perks in light armor then you are even more screwed. If it lands it will do a lot of damage. But with perks you have a choice at fighting it when it lands. And with dual wield (plus perks for dual wielding) you actually may have a chance

Well if you don't have archery (and you probably don't otherwise you'd mention it) I say shoot it with staffs; although I heard that a fireball staff will do more damage as your destruction improves. But you don't have a choice. Why didn't you increase your archery? I mean it should've been obvious that you need some ranged skill why did you let your character get to level 30 and still no ranged? If you haven't invested perks in light armor then you are even more screwed. If it lands it will do a lot of damage. But with perks you have a choice at fighting it when it lands. And with dual wield (plus perks for dual wielding) you actually may have a chance

A didn't invest in archery nor in destruction with my assassin, and did just fine.

One thing that helps a lot for any build is to have life leeching weapons ( Absorb health) .

Now since you're playing an assassin type character , you might wanna consider joining the Dark Brotherhood, once you've completed a few quests for them , you will get Shadowmere . That horse has an incredibly high health regen and can tank any dragons without any problems. I've never seen him die . So get yourself a bow and let your horse do the tanking for you.

That's not realy how i like to roll but you did mention you were playing a cowardly character lol. This is my advice to him hehe.

hope this helps

Krawll

Ive found that high elemental resistances and magic resistance makes dragons quite trivial. My primary character is heavy armor sword/shield however, but i take almost no damage from dragons breath attacks now cause my resists are so high. Level is 31 as well. Theres a great mask that ups all resist but I cant recall the name or where i got it lol.. Think its called Otar or something similar. (NM your light armor i think its heavy)

I was actually checking out Deadly Dragons just now cause the fights have lost challenge.

Edited by Smelgafeld

Assuming that you are using the thief stone (percentage increase to all rogue-like skills) it would be in your best interest to raise alchemy. Buy or look up the recipe for paralysis poison (don't want to spoil it for you) it can net you a nice profit, raise your alchemy, and get you access to other poisons, resistance potions and health potions that will assist you with just about anything. I think alchemy is a rogues best friend, as it can get them just about any other thing. Putting perks into the first step of the alchemy tree will increase the effectiveness of your potions as well.

When fighting them pesky dragons, I suggest you coat your bow with a poison on every shot (there's a poison of weakness to poison too), drink a potion of resistance to fire/cold (whichever type the dragon is), and drink a health potion each time your health drops below 1/4th (as the first tier of healing potions only restore about 21 to 22 hp to begin with, and you have 100 hp without leveling it).

If you haven't leveled your BOW, I'd suggest you start with a bit of wildlife and bandit hunting (most holds will have a "go here and kill these bandits" quest) before going to the dragon mounds. Also it is pretty easy to run away from a dragon, oddly enough.

tl;dr :

alchemy and bows = dead dragons.

Davy Crocket + bowie knife = dead adventurers.

I don't know why I didn't mention it but i do have a decent archery, but only invested enough points in it to zoom in. I also only have 1 or 2 in 1 handed because i read 1 handed bonuses don't apply to daggers for some reason. my light armor is at about ~45 I think? I have a few perks in that tree too. I managed to take down a frost dragon last night but only because it landed in an imperial fort. I have also gotten the invitation to the dark brotherhood but haven't gone to their sanctuary yet