Mod permission for abandoned mods?

tomomi1922

I understand we need to get consent from mod authors to reuse mods' resources. But what about mods that are abandoned for years? What are customs for these mods? From restoring the mod to working state, to just simply borrowing a small texture from it, to just doing a retexture? It's not like we try to weasel out, but some of these authors are no longer active and do not answer PM. And it is always easier and more efficient to build upon than reinvent the wheel from scratch (where appropriate), right?

Should I just give a mention and a link back to the old mod page? Not like the original author will be around to object either.

Also, I notice a handful of female CBBE skin has this dirty (raider) skin texture with EXACT dirt parttern (and this stupid bandage to the right of the belly). They don't seem to give credit nor refer to the original artist either. What is up there? I noticed this way early on because I was looking hard for a different dirty pattern for my player character, tone it down in Photoshop (overlay dirty skin with % of alpha on top of clean skin), and use the sweaty spec from SSS skin (if you must know) for me to have a hardy female Indiana Jones like character. I ended up creating my own dirt pattern via Photoshop with the limitation that I cannot cross the texture seams (for lack of a 3d model painter software) but fortunately it looks good enough because dirt is light (she still takes shower when she gets home to Settlement).

Terms of Service: " Absolutely no copyrighted work is to be used without permission of the original creator."

If you do not have permission from the original mod author, you cannot upload the mod. There are no exceptions.

There's basically no such thing as an abandoned mod. Whether the author is still maintaining it or not, it's still his.

Now, if before he left he put in a note saying it was available for anyone to use, then you're okay using it. Otherwise, the best you can do is recreate the mod using your own meshes, textures, etc.

or, if it is a pre dlc overhaul, making a patch to make it compatible with the dlc.

Even this is not allowed? I have one of this overhaul mod that I really liked way back in 2015ish. It is about weapon damage, and other settings, added 2-3 perks, etc.... For this one I would need to fix up so it works with current version (especially the perks) and adapt to all DLCs. I have been thinking about re-creating such a mod. The only thing that is original about the mod is the idea.

One of the bigger mod I have been working on is the Seasons mod. It is designed to work along with Seasons Lanscape overhaul. All Vanilla assets + as many custom outfits (and weapons) will receive a re-texture appropriate for the Seasons. Currently I am working on Winter. All camo outfits will turn snow camo (or plain white). Cilivian outfits will have lots of snow flakes on shoulders. Weapons will also have snow camo, white skin, or snow flakes. But I have way too many authors not responding to my PM for retexture permission. Elinoira doesn't even accept PM. Without this, my mod will not be uploaded.

But I am also asking to get the general vibe on this, on what is considered good or bad practice. Because, trust me, the world is not as black and white and not every law can be simply described into ONE single sentence.

If the mod description / ReadMe doesn't give permission and you can't get written permission from the creator, you don't modify or use the asset in your own uploaded mods. Simple as that.

Edited by Reneer

If a mod has open permissions, or if the author is contacted and grants it, you can upload it.

If permission is not given, or no permissions are stated and the mod author is no longer modding/on Nexusmods/unable to be contacted (or doesn't respond) then it's off limits as far as reuploading it. You're free to work on it & use it in private, but sharing any mod/assets whatsoever that belong to another mod author and that you don't have consent to share are a complete no no, and generally frowned upon. Plus you'll earn yourself a ban.

I'm not referring to the op, but I've noticed an increase in the mistaken belief that if a mod is no longer recieving updates, that it must mean that it's abandoned.

I never meant to imply that assets from the original mod be re-uploaded by someone other than the creator of the original mod.

but what about a patch that doesn't include assets, just makes the original mod compatible with DLC?

If a mod has open permissions, or if the author is contacted and grants it, you can upload it.

If permission is not given, or no permissions are stated and the mod author is no longer modding/on Nexusmods/unable to be contacted (or doesn't respond) then it's off limits as far as reuploading it. You're free to work on it & use it in private, but sharing any mod/assets whatsoever that belong to another mod author and that you don't have consent to share are a complete no no, and generally frowned upon. Plus you'll earn yourself a ban.

I'm not referring to the op, but I've noticed an increase in the mistaken belief that if a mod is no longer recieving updates, that it must mean that it's abandoned.

Now everyone is stuck into this "borrowing resources". What about retexture? Or adding support for DLC ... etc... Everyone is in love with this mod, for example. But it is obviously abandoned: can be seen by the amount of bug report and lack of author's response. We can build a patch for the mod can't we? And if it is a retexture .... technically we are not "taking" any resources, but adding more to it.

If you're retexturing a vanilla mesh, there's no issue, but if you want to retexture a custom mesh, you need permission from whoever made the mesh. Custom meshes are a lot of work, and retexturing a custom mesh without permission is not permitted.

However, if you know how to make meshes, you could make your own just like it. Just be prepared to be able to show it's your own work.