How to "limit" Specular maps?

Sader325

I guess it is hard to tell in those screenshots, but yes. The diffuse is pretty much white. It's got grey I guess, but I mean the point was to make a kind "white plate".

*EDIT*

Well its certainly not "stormtrooper" white.

Edited by Sader325

Just test the specular strength at 1 instead of 2.2.. all the env map effect will be unaffected and the bling in direct light should be subdued, allow at least areas that would be occulded to be darker, which should give it some depth and make it pop, but in a good way.

edit: storm trooper white is like 200-220RGB iirc and not 255RGB. if the diffuse was any whiter then there wouldn't much point to even having a spec map as the render pass couldn't lighten those pixels in direct lighting

edit edit: its about 200RGB for my white plastics.

Edited by Ghogiel

Just test the specular strength at 1 instead of 2.2.. all the env map effect will be unaffected and the bling in direct light should be subdued, allow at least areas that would be occulded to be darker, which should give it some depth and make it pop, but in a good way.

edit: storm trooper white is like 200-220RGB iirc and not 255RGB. if the diffuse was any whiter then there wouldn't much point to even having a spec map as the render pass couldn't lighten those pixels in direct lighting

edit edit: its about 200RGB for my white plastics.

Just got home, I'll give it a shot.

Another thing I notice is that inside your NIfs the texture path does not start at textures\ instead it starts on directory lower --- which might cause problems in game -- might want to change your Nifskope path for the game in the Render - Settings - rendering tab the path shoudl be D:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\Common\skyrim\Data not D:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\Common\skyrim\Data\textures -- Yours will be different depending on where your game is installed but it should point to the Data folder not the texture folder so that it will set the texture paths in Nifs correctly starting at Textures\xxx\yyy where right now they all start xxx\yyy so the game may have problems finding the textures. ( I noticed because when I loaded one of the textures it was white instead of having the texture in the render window. Edited by JDFan

Another thing I notice is that inside your NIfs the texture path does not start at textures\ instead it starts on directory lower --- which might cause problems in game -- might want to change your Nifskope path for the game in the Render - Settings - rendering tab the path shoudl be D:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\Common\skyrim\Data not D:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\Common\skyrim\Data\textures -- Yours will be different depending on where your game is installed but it should point to the Data folder not the texture folder so that it will set the texture paths in Nifs correctly starting at Textures\xxx\yyy where right now they all start xxx\yyy so the game may have problems finding the textures. ( I noticed because when I loaded one of the textures it was white instead of having the texture in the render window.

As this is simply a copy of the Ebony Armor nif, I don't see why or how this would cause a problem.

Especially since it hasn't at all yet.

@Ghogiel

I tried messing with the specular map, settings. It doesn't really help that much, if at all. The game just doesn't seem to handle bright colors very well, and other then editing all the weather shaders there doesn't seem to be any simple solution.

So, I'm just going to give up on this for now.

Edited by Sader325

No idea if this was mentioned already but the Specularity is defined in the Normalmaps Alpha channel, so the transparency. If you expor the edited normals aggain make sure to use a compression that supports the alpha channel, for example DTX5.

The ShaderProperties in NIFscope allow for tweaking of the overall specularity too.