Really need help please dling my first mod. I am totally stuck.

Ok. I have downloaded the fallout Mod Manager. No problem. I then downloaded my first mod called the texture large pack. So far so good. I unzip it to this address which I found on the wiki-C: \ Program Files \ Steam \ steamapps \ Common \ Fallout 3 \ Data.

Each time I extract it says the following:

Operation is not supported.

Now, before I tried to extract to this address it was extracting to this address which just came up as the default:C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\. I am totally new at this and am not a tecke at all. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I have a ton of mods I have looked at and really want to replay fo3 and Newvegas modded but I am stuck. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Chris

C: \ Program Files \ Steam \ steamapps \ Common \ Fallout 3 \ Data.

a protected directory that Microsoft has dominion over

the error was installing steam into this directory

the solution is to use google and find out how to move steam (without having to uninstall/reinstall it)

I read how to do all of that. it's still quite confusing, For example it tells you to do this to backup your files prior to moving the steam location. : Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps & Userdata folders and Steam.exe. Well, the only steam.exe I have is this:Steam.exe.old and even that will not open. Should I simply delete steam completely and reinstall it to a place that will allow me to download mods? Should I just start over? And If I do does steam give me a choice where to install it? Thanks,

Chris

I don't understand this advice about moving steam. I have steam in its default position in program files (win 7) and have had zero issues running games / installing mods.

@OP: are you logged in as an administrator ? I mean, if you don't have control over your ability to put files where you want them on your computer, that would be the issue to solve.

Well now I am more confused then before. I was hoping for an answer to this:

I read how to do all of that. it's still quite confusing, For example it tells you to do this to backup your files prior to moving the steam location. : Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps & Userdata folders and Steam.exe. Well, the only steam.exe I have is this:Steam.exe.old and even that will not open. Should I simply delete steam completely and reinstall it to a place that will allow me to download mods? Should I just start over? And If I do does steam give me a choice where to install it? Thanks,

I will try to log on as an admin and see if that helps. If not, I think i will be forced to play without mods and that blows. At least with the Steam Workshop it was as easy as pie.

I'll let you know old hand. Thanks!

In your case, I would use Nexus Mod Manager instead of Fallout Mod Manager. I like Fallout Mod Manager, but Nexus Mod Manager is much more user-friendly and automates some things you have to do manually in Fallout Mod Manager.

What exactly is the Texture Pack you are using?

What are you using to extract the files?

What wiki are you using for your information on where to install?