Problems making characters essential

GowiHasti

I was modding a few favorite characters as essential and was able to via quest aliases for radiant quests Aela but others without quests I could find such as Faendal even though I hit essential he wasn't. What am I missing? What do I need to do.

I don't want everyone essential, just a few. All I want to know is what exactly it takes to make them essential as simply clicking Essential isn't it and some don't have radiant quests to use their aliases to make them essential.

What that mods does is make all named NPC's "Protected". It says in the title it makes them "Essential" but it doesn't. What "Protected" means is that only you can kill them. The other NPC's cannot kill them - but you can. It is my understanding that this mod will not overwrite "Essential" flags for NPC's that are not supposed to die for gameplay reasons.

And if I prefer they be essential so I can't kill them either then it won't help. Thats why I want to know is what exactly it takes to make them essential as simply clicking Essential isn't it and some don't have radiant quests to use their aliases to make them essential. Maybe it's because my mod is at the bottom of the load order? Or could it be something else?

Well, you would want your mod at the bottom of the load order. This way it overwrites everything else. Something else must be wrong. You said you want to only make a few NPC's essential right? It might be better to just write down their BaseID (which is what I think you need in order to do this) and then use the console to set them as essential. I believe that the console command is something like setessential followed by their BaseID. You can Google that to be sure. If you want to do it all at once, you could probably make a batch list that you can run from in-game and just make all of those NPC's Essential at once.

How to make a batch list:

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:CC:Console_Command_Batch_Lists_(Skyrim)

Hopefully this helps you out.