Why the stupid horse keep returning to the stables?

kurecore

Horses are not greatly implemented in the game.

Bethesda said in the keynote at DICE 2012, that they didn't focus on some things in the game, because it wasn't important for gameplay.

http://www.gamespot.com/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/videos/skyrim-todd-howard-dice-2012-keynote-6350048/

(mentions horses and why they didn't get many features at about 15:50 and forward)

There is a specific horse-mod called Educated Horses, which implements some features. F.e. horses following you, and you can command them with spells that tells them to stay or come to you.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=8744

Edited by MrBuio

• 1 month later...

I now have shadowmere and she can't die. Even from dragons. She just takes every hit and she's still fine!

That's what I thought until she got killed last night by a beam trap :confused:

And nobody has really addressed all of kurecore's issues. Let me try ...

1. Someone said you probably didn't actually legitimately acquire your horse. I'm not going to make any accusations, but just assume that you did what you said you did. If so, that's a glitch that was even present in Oblivion. Obviously it hasn't been fixed in Skyrim (not terribly surprising, I suppose, since horses are implemented very badly in this game -- even worse than in Skyrim).

1a. Possible solution: Click on your horse in the console. Type "disable" and then hit the <Enger> key. Immediately type "enable" after that. This will probably reset your horse's AI, restoring normal behavior, although you might have to type "moveto player" to get him back to your position, depending upon where his body is.

2. You can't fight from horseback because Bethesda has been systematically ignoring all player requests for mounted combat. M'aiq the Liar (the Khajiit that wanders around in all the games and says weird, funny, and informative things) even jokes about this ("I do not wish to fight on horseback. It is a good way to ruin a perfectly good horse... which is, to say, a perfectly good dinner." -- in Oblivion). You aren't going to get mounted combat in Elder Scrolls games. I think that's pretty much settled.

Now, regarding the gender of Shadowmere: In Oblivion, Shadowmere is clearly a "she", since her owner, Lucien Lachance specifically addresses her as "she". In Skyrim that's not the case, and I don't know of anyone who has ever addressed "him" as "she". It's always "he". This, in spite of the fact that Lucien, in Skyrim, recognizes his "... old and dear friend." I suspect this is just another of many examples of how Bethesda throws Lore out the window with every new installment of the Elder Scrolls series of games.

Regarding Shadowmere's essential status, she is essential in Oblivion and he is not essential in Skyrim. They also made cosmetic changes (different color, for instance). Note that he does have a health of almost 900 and regenerates almost 30 points of Health per second, so he can be tough to take down, but his attack (a measly 10 points) leaves a lot to be desired. If he is killed, and his body is not available for resurrecting, you can respawn him with "player.placeatme 9ccd7".

when you first acquire your "Essen für einen Drachen" (horse) , open consol.

select your horse and type in "prid". write down that number

whenver you want a horse, your horse (or a cheap copy of it) , from the consol type "player.placeatme #" <--- the # is the number you copied down

you may end up with multiple copies of your horse, but if you are so concerend about using a horse and cheating to get it, more is always better. ;D

Edited by Brandy_123