Moving Installation To Upgraded Computer from Win 7 to Win 10 Pro

OK, first hi folks, this isn't the first time I've moved an installation but this time I'm moving to my existing machine after I upgrade it. I'm presently backing up all my data for the move, right now I'm backing up my steam installation. Long story short I will be rebuilding my system to a new configuration (new mb, new ram, new cpu, etc..) and the main question centers around the fact that I'm installing Windows 10 Pro after using Win7 Home premium and I'm a bit concerned since this will be a clean install of the OS.

I couldn't use sysprep because Brainless here used an OEM version of 7 on my recent system, (not sure how that happened to many os's laying around I guess). Anyway first thing is if anyone has experience using the NMM with Win10, I would appreciate any information you may have. Also any tricks or information in moving the NMM along with existing Steam installations to Win 10 would also be appreciated.

At present I'm running a legacy installation of NMM as well for my older games i.e. Fallout 3/NV as well as other older games I have modded. I'm not sure if this will work as I hear it's hard to run these games on a DDR4 ram setup as well as Win 10 being an issue for older games. Anyway that's it in a nutshell. thanks in advance.

When I went from 7 to 10 on a new machine I created a folder called Steam on the new PC with 10, copied the SteamApps & Userdata folders from the old PC into it and then installed Steam into it, ran Steam, entered my username and password and all was well. As for NMM, I'm using 52.3 for older games and the games (FO3/NV) along with NMM 52.3 work just fine.

Excellent jim-uk, thanks for the response that's encouraging to hear, for my older games I'm using the same build so that's good to know. Most appreciated!! The only difference is I have my steamapps on a separate drive from my programs and this will also be the case on the new build. I believe if I do what you suggest then point the games on reinstall to the existing location on the separate drive I know that it will start to install, then see the games and simply acknowledge the installation sometimes you need to validate files to finish the update, but judging from what you say I should be able to use the same principle in this situation. Thank You.

• 3 weeks later...

Update, thanks to you guys for your help the update went excellent I did a fresh install and moved most of my games over, the system purrs like a kitten, I heard nightmare stories about the i7 7700k but no issues so far and I've been pushing it pretty hard with all my games set at ultra!! Thanks again!