Creation Club Summer 2017

N7R

I mean the biggest question that has to be answered ASAP, how much is Bethesda paying its creators?

The 25% revenue share under the Valve steam workshop paid mods system was the biggest ripoff of all time, it was simply Bethesda/Valve imposing the rate it used for Dota 2 skins on paid mods and ripping off mod creators big time. Hopefully once Bethesda starts replying to the creators that apply we'll see how much they're paying.

I can easily see Bethesda paying modders 500 bucks to make a horse armor skin for their game, then making hundreds of thousands off microtransactions in Skyrim/Fo4/future gamebryo games because "we had to QA test it extensively therefore we keep all the profit from tens of thousands of sales to ourselves." If instead they shared that revenue 50/50 with partners, it would make much more sense.

From what they wrote on their FAQ you are going to be paid like a regular Bethesda employee probably at entry rate wage meaning 33,970 yearly, roughly if you make a weapon mod you will get paid 80$.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt mind that they were willing to pay a percentage last time, that was the upside in my mind. $80 for something that could generate them hundreds of thousands if not millions is a giant middle finger to everyone after modgate 1.0.

Hiring them as employees could be okay too.

Either way, ZeniMaxProfits has done a fine job of muddying the waters.

I didnt mind that they were willing to pay a percentage last time, that was the upside in my mind. $80 for something that could generate them hundreds of thousands if not millions is a giant middle finger to everyone after modgate 1.0.

Hiring them as employees could be okay too.

Either way, ZeniMaxProfits has done a fine job of muddying the waters.

A poster in another thread post this link and that how Bethesda should have done this : https://www.everques...m/player-studio

Here a quote from the Everquest website from the link : "Revenue from the sale of these items will be shared back with the creative player."

That what i call a sharing spirit to redistribute the wealth!

Saw Dogtooth's chinese stealth suit in there...

He stated on his forum it wasn't his, so they're making "new" mods from old ones as well.

Now that you mention it... the visor is a different color... and there may be some other tiny differences in the model if you look at it long enough.

This still presents the obvious problem of free and paid mods that deliver the exact same damned thing.

That is correct; neither the Chinese Stealth Suit, nor the Hellfire featured in the Creators Club are my works.

Maybe its nothing,but I find it highly worrying that mods that already are being currently worked on or done are being used as promo material.....I mean I know bethesda owns the rights,but this seems wrong.

DT, I think you need to repeat what you just said. Some don't seem to get it.

I thought DT said it wasn't his what don't I get?

I've also got to say all of this gloom and doom cracks me up!

This is not payed mods it's Bethesda commissioning mods!

It's not about it being "paid mods" or not (it's paid mods), it's about the precedent of throwing money into the mix. More people will want to produce simple content for money rather than continue to support the community freely and it will tear it apart.

It'd be different if they were presenting serious content like fleshed quests and new lands with their previews or even large packs of stuff like gun runners arsenal, showing that they demand serious content from creators. But it seems clear they are enticing people to present mostly micro-transaction content like single weapons and armors, the kind of stuff we see get released on the nexus freely almost on a weekly basis.

Edited by Guest

Saw Dogtooth's chinese stealth suit in there...

He stated on his forum it wasn't his, so they're making "new" mods from old ones as well.

Now that you mention it... the visor is a different color... and there may be some other tiny differences in the model if you look at it long enough.

This still presents the obvious problem of free and paid mods that deliver the exact same damned thing.

That is correct; neither the Chinese Stealth Suit, nor the Hellfire featured in the Creators Club are my works.

Maybe its nothing,but I find it highly worrying that mods that already are being currently worked on or done are being used as promo material.....I mean I know bethesda owns the rights,but this seems wrong.

DT, I think you need to repeat what you just said. Some don't seem to get it.

I think what they just meant is that they are showing a lot of new micro-DLCs of stuff that has already been done freely in the past.

Seriously, can't avoid that it's kinda shitty to offer content that's already been done for free by somebody else. It's crystal clear that they are doing this to gouge money out of the starved PS4 users for sure.

Edited by Guest

Somehow, I suspect this is a way to circumvent season pass owners... -_-

I'm loving when I hear this "Season Pass" argument!

The season ended with "Nuka-World"! If you buy "Season Tickets" for your favorite sports team that doesn't entitle you to the same seat every year! You also don't get "Play Off" Seats if your team makes it that far!

Those two things aren't same. Beth DLC isnt organized into "seasons" at all, at least not in the same way as sports that have official season contracts and the length of a season is indicated in multiple legal agreements, and the season pass itself entitled owners to all dlc relating to FO4 (not even mentioning actual "seasons" in advertising or the purchase agreement).

Neither did beth officially indicate that the season pass ended with nuka world, either while selling the pass itself or nuka world itself. All beth stated was that nuka world would be "the last dlc" for fallout 4.

I could honestly see why people might think the pass would cover any future paid content developed solely by bethesda but the CC could be used to circumvent that issue.

I've also got to say all of this gloom and doom cracks me up!

This is not payed mods it's Bethesda commissioning mods! This will not stop accepted modders from still releasing and working on their free mods simply because every mod they do will not be accepted into the program and not every proposal they make will not be accepted. If I first pitch a mod to the Creative Club and it's not accepted there is nothing stopping me for still making it.

We also have no clue on how the system will really work! How much they are willing to pay and if their will be download Royalties after project completion.

I'll openly admit I have applied to the Creative Club! I've done this for several reasons,

1. Bethesda is likely to never publicly disclose the monetary side of this project and the only way to get this info is to be accepted into the program. (So until I have this info I don't know if it's even worth my time)
  2. I want to get more information on how the other aspect of the system will work. Everything that was vaguely talked about in the Creative Club FAQ.
  3. I want to know how much support Bethesda really intends to give to modders. Will Creative Club modders get access to the real Dev tools or will they still have to work with the free version that everyone else gets?
  4. I also just wanted to see if they would even consider me worthy of working with!

Applying for the program does't mean I even have to accept the terms or even if I choose to produce mods for Creative Club. There would likely be an NDA so I wouldn't be able to talk about it publicly.

To be honest I have to disagree. What makes more sense if you are rejected to the CC? Keep making free mods or come up with another idea to try and get into the paid modding system? If mod authors are rational human beings I find it hard to believe many wouldn't shelve their free work to try and create something that would make them money (or even worse somehow convert free projects currently in development to paid ones I.E SKYUI). It really is only natural.

My issue with paid mods (which this basically is if the video and the kind of things they are selling is anything to go by) isnt that mod authors get/want to be paid. Its that for some reason there is this delusion that such a concept would be remotely successful. Ultimately you have SELL these mods to the consumer and the consumer OVERWHELMINGLY hates the idea before they have even seen it in action (dislike ratio on the announcement video as of right now is 2k likes to 40k dislikes).

The idea that such an unpopular concept is going to get ANYONE paid let alone be remotely successful is just delusion honestly. Bethesda is pissing off and alienating the very people they are going to ask to make purchases from CC before the thing even launches.

Basically I believe free modding is going to take a huge hit because bethesda is desperately trying to break into the micro transaction goldmine and its obviously going to fail.

My issue with paid mods (which this basically is if the video and the kind of things they are selling is anything to go by) isnt that mod authors get/want to be paid. Its that for some reason there is this delusion that such a concept would be remotely successful. Ultimately you have SELL these mods to the consumer and the consumer OVERWHELMINGLY hates the idea before they have even seen it in action (dislike ratio on the announcement video as of right now is 2k likes to 40k dislikes).

Double check what console users are saying. They're starved and they will eat this stuff up. Bethesda has been counting on that from the beginning, and the PC users who make up the majority of community mod users don't actually matter to them.

Edited by Guest

eh im pretty sure the majority of console users aren't for it. Especially since they've had free mods for over a year now.

Maybe ps4 users think its a good idea but thats such a small market by comparison.

Wouldn't be surprised if this attempt goes exactly the same way as the first one. Beth is just rolling the dice hoping something will stick and they can charge 5.99 for different color horses in skyrim. The entire thing is laughable from a business standpoint.

On top of all of this, making official content that's worthwhile is further hampered by the fact that THE MAIN CHARACTER IS VOICED. WHY DID YOU DO THIS BETHESDA WHY?

It's not actually possible to even make a fleshed out quest mod that can be released through the club. I doubt Bethesda would let people push out quests with edited voice clips and I REALLY doubt they have the voice actors on call for these community creators to utilize in their own work. I also doubt they'll let anyone touch leveled lists or make new enemy types either.

Basically the only thing you're going to see is weapons and armor that are just placed in the worldspace somewhere, settlement objects, and maybe some small utility mod, but nothing more elaborate is likely even possible.