Behtesda jsut announced locking mods behind a pay wall

rwillia157

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been pointed out by others but the real money to be made here is from the largest group of Skyrim SE owners and those are the PS4 players and they are absolutely RABID in their desire for access to what many here seem to take for granted...new content.

They will gladly pay for a sword that isn't simply a retexture of a vanilla asset.

I have no special knowledge of course and I refuse to try and divine the intentions of BethSoft but it's pretty clear where I'd expect the lions share of the purchases to come from...after all they didn't even mention Skyrim VR in the E3 presser and yet there it is and that's all the proof I need that they are squarely focused on milking the PS4 for every cent Skyrim can make before they move on and they aren't nearly done milking yet.

As far as PC modding and it's future...think of it like college sports...the true stars turn pro..that doesn't mean the end, it means there's room on the roster for the next class to come in and grow and evolve.

If Bethesda Game Studios never released another game (God forbid) I think there would continue to be people who would push the current tools to their limits creating new and interesting content.

Call it a mod...call it "Official DLC" it makes no difference.

And for the record I'd pay DLC money for mods like Campfire, Hunterborn, Frostfall, Ordinator, USSEP, and so very many more including those already mentioned..

Free..is because of the love these creators have for the game

it doesnt speak to the VALUE of what they have gifted us.

What are 200 hrs of anyone's life worth because I've given more than that of mine JUST since I started playing with mod content..

And it's been a joy and worth every second..

Just my 2 cents

This is all conjecture and speculation on my part, but this could be why we are not seeing or going to see a SKSE64. I will make it quick and simple. Why would anyone in their right mind buy "free" mods off this creation club when they can be done on here. I am betting the SKSE64 team were told to conclude their work (I know they do this for the love of the game and not for profit). That way the Beth mods would have access to all the hooks that SKSE64 would have had, but the good folks here on the NEXUS do not... We get good mods here, but having access to all the hooks and code in the game would make one heck of a Creation Club. Here is my issue, I am torn on this. I love the SKSE team, but like me they are beginning to look into the horizon (getting older) and they can not do this much longer. There needs to be a new batch of 20 somethings to take the lead. Unfortunately the SKSE team are a rare bunch. SOOO having bethesda officially overseeing a paid group may be our next best bet... or not...

Edited by avahzd

This is all conjecture and speculation on my part, but this could be why we are not seeing or going to see a SKSE64. I will make it quick and simple. Why would anyone in their right mind buy "free" mods off this creation club when they can be done on here. I am betting the SKSE64 team were told to conclude their work (I know they do this for the love of the game and not for profit). That way the Beth mods would have access to all the hooks that SKSE64 would have had, but the good folks here on the NEXUS do not... We get good mods here, but having access to all the hooks and code in the game would make one heck of a Creation Club. Here is my issue, I am torn on this. I love the SKSE team, but like me they are beginning to look into the horizon (getting older) and they can not do this much longer. There needs to be a new batch of 20 somethings to take the lead. Unfortunately the SKSE team are a rare bunch. SOOO having bethesda officially overseeing a paid group may be our next best bet... or not...

there are one good side now beth wants too improve the game they will probly give this group all the tools they need too make the dlc

Personally I'm pretty excited about this, not just for the mods that will come out the Creation Club itself (I'm entirely happy to pay money for good, quality-assured mods,) but also for the mods that will come out of the amateur modding community now that there is a real possibility of becoming a professional modder.

I'm also wondering if maybe this Creation Club is going to be Bethesda's answer to the Fallout4 mod community's issues with the fully voiced player character. I presume that if your massive quest goes through Creation Club you'll have access to the game (and its translations') original voice actors?

Maybe instead of being pissed off about the Creation Club we should refine how to compensate the ones that contribute to the Nexus. Obviously the donation system isn't very effective or can't compete with what Bethesda offers so what about creating a better way... how about this for example. Nexus could offer, for lack of a better word, endorsement cards. Say an endorsement card costs $20 for 19 endorsements (nexus keeping 1 to help site operations) and the rest can be used to endorse a particular mod. While $1 for a mod may sound silly, but after a while It would add up to potentially 1000's. I'm sure not everyone would use them but it could be potentially better than the donation system. Donating $20 for a mod I really like doesn't sound that appealing to me, but donating $1 to 19 mods seems a lot better for some reason. IDK maybe this is a stupid idea, but if it were implemented in a similar way it could potentially keep modders from neglecting the Nexus and compensate them for what they've done as well as giving them more incentive to create bigger and better things for us in the future. Look i know that's a crude layout but it could be refined by people with better understanding how to divvy up the endorsements and obviously we can't change the endorsement system so it would have to be called something else ... but if it were based on sort of a donation system in itself, why couldn't it work? Finally - and I can't stress this enough - It would be OPTIONAL.