Can Paid and Free Mods Coexist?

Fkemman11

all iknow is this will kill console modding for majority will see it as paid mods do same story as steam again

It won't and it's not. You're making assumptions. Don't do that.

i am scared ok so i am ready too belive the worst

Scared of what? Do you think free mods will suddenly magically disappear once Creation Club gets put into place? Creation Club is not paid mods, nor is it the same system they tried 2 years ago. That system was flawed and exploitable beyond comprehension, which is why it was removed. There is no reason to panic and no reason to expect the worst. I get the sense you haven't, so I suggest you read on what CC is before you make assumptions.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all iknow is this will kill console modding for majority will see it as paid mods do same story as steam again

It won't and it's not. You're making assumptions. Don't do that.

i am scared ok so i am ready too belive the worst

Scared of what? Do you think free mods will suddenly magically disappear once Creation Club gets put into place? Creation Club is not paid mods, nor is it the same system they tried 2 years ago. That system was flawed and exploitable beyond comprehension, which is why it was removed. There is no reason to panic and no reason to expect the worst. I get the sense you haven't, so I suggest you read on what CC is before you make assumptions.

not that beth will do it but how people sees this it sounds like this will cause same effect as before

Perhaps the main fear I've heard of among opponents is that free modding will be terminated by Bethesda for some reason, in favor of paying mod authors for their work and going through them directly. While this theory may be a fear, it really has absolutely no basis in anything Bethesda/Zen has ever said or done to make anyone believe that they will go in that direction. Frankly, it doesn't even make much sense that they would ever consider this since they have benefited greatly from the productions coming from the free modding community. They've just gone through a massive overall of their website to accommodate free modding and to open up free mods to consoles.

I don't see any end in sight for free modding; rather, there is now an opportunity (and a very small one at that) for very talented mod authors to see 3rd-party development of some of their work through Bethesda directly. Bethesda certainly will not be taking in every single mod project proposed to them. It's no different then any free-lance developer seeking to do a project for a game company.

Yes some major mod projects that may have become available for free may go paid now, but, in all fairness, shouldn't modders spending years on projects get something out it besides a 10% rate of endorsement? There will always be people who want to stay on the free side of the fence and there will be others who will do both.

Perhaps the main fear I've heard of among opponents is that free modding will be terminated by Bethesda for some reason, in favor of paying mod authors for their work and going through them directly. While this theory may be a fear, it really has absolutely no basis in anything Bethesda/Zen has ever said or done to make anyone believe that they will go in that direction. Frankly, it doesn't even make much sense that they would ever consider this since they have benefited greatly from the productions coming from the free modding community. They've just gone through a massive overall of their website to accommodate free modding and to open up free mods to consoles.

I don't see any end in sight for free modding; rather, there is now an opportunity (and a very small one at that) for very talented mod authors to see 3rd-party development of some of their work through Bethesda directly. Bethesda certainly will not be taking in every single mod project proposed to them. It's no different then any free-lance developer seeking to do a project for a game company.

Yes some major mod projects that may have become available for free may go paid now, but, in all fairness, shouldn't modders spending years on projects get something out it besides a 10% rate of endorsement? There will always be people who want to stay on the free side of the fence and there will be others who will do both.

the people arent false reporting of mods (yep you can bring down any mod if you report it enough times)

and its better too expect the worst than hope and get disapointed

Edited by Guest

The issue I got with paid mods, is a simple matter of ethics. Etc, are people getting what they paid for, as it was advertised? But that can mostly be solved if there was a 24hr trial period for any paid mods.

Whoever sets up the online marketplace to sell mods, needs to set some guidelines for the quality standards for which mods can be sold, and which can't. It'll be a subjective interpretation, sure, but the ones who got the highest standards, will get the most trust from the gaming community. I think the standards should be extremely stringent. I think a good way to handle this would be to put mods up on a community beta, where people can test mods for free while they're being improved, and people will give feedback, and once it reaches a finished state, they can sell it on the marketplace if it meets the website's standards.

Edited by Beriallord

The issue I got with paid mods, is a simple matter of ethics. Etc, are people getting what they paid for, as it was advertised? But that can mostly be solved if there was a 24hr trial period for any paid mods.

Wouldn't that be covered by a release from Bethesda as a DLC? Official DLCs don't provide a trial. Any mods released officially are dlcs and are officially released by the publishing co.

I don't support Bethesda capitalizing on the work of others. They're essentially getting unpaid personnel to make DLC for them. For which they'll get a lion's share of the cut.

If developers start releasing tool kits, and let communities make games for them, while reaping most of the profits, I don't like where that is going. That's just my opinion, but I don't like it.

If paid mods are a thing, I want to see most, as in greater than 50% of the proceeds go to the mod authors.

I would rather developers just sell someone a tool kit directly, for one sum.

Edited by Beriallord

I don't support Bethesda capitalizing on the work of others. They're essentially getting unpaid personnel to make DLC for them. For which they'll get a lion's share of the cut.

If developers start releasing tool kits, and let communities make games for them, while reaping most of the profits, I don't like where that is going. That's just my opinion, but I don't like it.

If paid mods are a thing, I want to see most, as in greater than 50% of the proceeds go to the mod authors.

but if you got money for i can seriusly guess it wouldnt sound so bad with some extra money in your wallet XD

What difference does that

Isn't it up to the mod author to negotiate with Bethesda on the conditions of their contract, including compensation?? Why in the world would that concern others who are not a part of the project? Publishers are always going to get the "lion's share" of profits. It's that way with every creative work. They will bear all of the production and promotion costs, providing the tools and the support, not to mention QA. The mod author is not being forced to do anything or accept compensations they find unsatisfactory, so I don't see why it concerns anyone else really how much they are paid by Bethesda.