Why do NPCs keep walking backwards out of their own melee range?

Question2

Using Veronica as a companion and it is extremely frustrating watching her try to kill some low raiders. She constantly walks backwards out of her own melee range, which means she only attacks once per 3 seconds (or even slower!). I gave her a ballistic fist and T-51b armor and she almost died fighitng the gang members in the Monte Carlo suites, because of the constant walking backwards.

I modified her combat style to attack 100% of the time, no dodge, no hold/idle timers. No effect. She still walks backwards out of her own melee range. I changed some game settings to set all AI dodge chances to zero...no effect, she STILL walks backwards out of her own melee range constantly.

Even against a stationery enemy (I used the console command setRestrained 1), she will still walk backwards all the time constantly. Why?! In Oblivion/Skyrim, if you were knocked down, NPCs would stand next to you and hack you to death, but in NV NPCs just keep walking backwards!

Just why are NPCs constantly walking backwards when using melee/unarmed weapons?!

Might be a weapon reach issue....i tried increasing two step goodbye's reach to 2x and veronica stopped doing it. There are obvious problems with this approach however.

Edit : Okay I think i figured out a fix. If you set the NPC combat style to use chance instead of movement, and set backwards chance to 0, the NPC wont keep backing out of melee range.

Edited by Question2

After fixing that, ive noticed another problem : When the NPC is too close, they will walk forward instead of running. This is normal behaviour, but in combat, enemies that backpedal (or creatures with high reach) can keep a NPC away as they are walking too slowly to get into range, and they will not run to get into range until the enemy is too far away (which might never happen).

Any ideas on how to fix this?

• 2 months later...