Making addictions pass with time

Crowley9

Thanks for the work towards forum posterity :thumbsup:

Is that a pun on how I made multiple edits to my previous post instead of making each bit a new post?

A pun as in making fun of you ? No , not at all.

If anything Its making fun of me , because I wasn't much help except to confirm that mod's method was broke , and the one I suggested was also broke.

You did all the work in figuring out how to do it , then posted it here to help others. Which is a good thing !

Forum Posterity :wink:

Oh, I didn't think you were making fun of me. I tend to be fairly pun-minded when it comes to humor.

Anyway, I've got all the addictions set up to pass with time. I'll tweak things a bit here and there and then release the mod. Add some minor visual effect when the addiction ends, change the script for doctors curing addictions to just have the effect of taking a few doses of Fixer and such. Personally I am glad I can do that without actually altering the dialogue to minimize any potential conflicts with other mods. That will cause some disparity between dialogue and the effect, but that is acceptable for me.

Edited by Crowley9

• 3 weeks later...

While trying to polish up my mod, I ran into a problem. Something I did with the addiction seems to have broken Fixer. It does show "Temporary Addiction Removal" in the list of status effects, but it does not override the actual addiction penalties. Examining Fixer in GECK (with the permanent addiction removal bug fixed) only has it connected to a script that handles the visual effect. I suspect how it affects the actual negative effects of the addiction is somehow hardcoded, but how?

None of that helped with the issue. I did some testing with removing and adding bits, and it seems if I add a new Base Effect to an addiction, Fixer stops working on it. I still suspect this behaviour is hardcoded. However, this is easily circumvented. Instead of setting the addiction timer to begin when addiction starts, I instead set it to begin when the effect of the drug ends, with an added check whether the player has a corresponding addiction.

• 2 weeks later...