Load Order Rights and Wrongs????

naomis8329

Used the load order as per Oblivion and ended up after adding the new Texture files to my Skyrim.ini (not default) losing my voice files. No voices, not a single sound uttered by anyone other than animals and ambient noises.

Reinstalled the game but no joy. Took out the ini files and hoped that they would be reloaded as Oblivion used to do (Oblivion would recreate the files if you deleted them) but no I had to reinstall the game yet again after deleting everything from each place the game loaded to.

So after 24hours plus of downloading the game (which is a pain in itself) and still waiting another hour as we speak, I'm no closer to finding out what the hell happened.

To save me pain again, I will be backing up all files so there should be no reason to download again however I would still be interested to know if anyone has any ideas on a load order eg, putting on

1. Textures

2. Game Overhauls

3. Cosmetics

4. Weapons, Armor and Clothing

5. Game play

6. Quests

The above is an example of how to load mods not an accurate way, but I used something similar in Oblivion and it tended to work either using the Mod Manager or Bash.

Any assistance, ideas would be gratefully received.

Load orders for textures? What? Shouldn't those just drop straight into their appropriate "data/whatever" folder? I find BOSS (Better Oblivion Sorting System) is the best program for load order setups along with some common sense to make the more stubborn things work. Tbh you'll have to explain further because what you're saying really isn't clear.

And if the bug still persists, after re-installing Skyrim from scratch, you've definately ruled out a hardware/driver fault or something to that effect?

Indeed, textures should "never" have ESPs. Albeit is good seeing users worrying and willing to learn about the load order, there is a utility called BOSS that has been around since Oblivion's time (hence its name) which works for Skyrim and automatically puts the ESPs in the best known (and tested) load order.

Is highly advisable to get it, as much as good idea trying to understand how load order works by yourself. Keep it on :)

Edited by nosisab

Could be your stereo setup as far as voices. I had the exact same issues with all sounds but no voices. Turns out it was because I had a setting turned on with my Logitech speakers which routed sound equally around the 5.1 rather than natural stereo with panning.

That said, load orders and textures generally could not mess up your audio. You should investigate your audio system it's self. They are complicated creatures.

Thanks for your replies. The new texture packs from Bethesda do have esp's and there is a workaround to get rid of them and use the BSA's without them. By textures I also mean mods that change the look of something like Whiterun Greenized, to me that is a texture mod with an esp lol.

I do use BOSS but as the majority of mods are new they show up as not known etc. Like I said for Oblivion there was a load order which is posted on the forums here and I tended to use that. Something however went terribly wrong.

I did look at my sound but that was ok too so I'm at a total loss as to what caused it.

In all likelihood you didn't edit your ini correctly when adding the high res packs to the archive load list.

This is what the ini should look like:

[Archive]

sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa, HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.bsa

sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa

But, if you add the high res packs to the sResourceArchiveList2 line instead of the sResourceArchiveLis the voice archives won't load, ergo you get no voices in the game. Other sounds will still work.

Oh heck that's the problem then I put them at the end of the one saying ArchiveList2 blooming heck what a nut lol.

Thanks hun you are brill, I'll just change the ini in my games too right??

Your help is appreciated