Need help creating a merchant NPC

ContagiousCure

I'm trying to create an NPC that works inside a player house as a bartender. So I've set up a schedule for him to sleep and get to the bar room in the house during the afternoon-evening, ticked the flag for "offers services" and "continue if player near" and created a container with different drinks for him to sell from. The container is owned by the bartender NPC, hidden underneath the floor and is associated with the bartender NPC as a merchant container. However the barter option still doesn't show up when I talk to him. Am I missing something?

If I edit the cell properties to make it owned by the NPC this somewhat "fixes" the issue and he sells me the things I've put in his container, but he also sells me everything else in the room and I can't touch anything else in the room without it considered stealing, which doesn't work given that it's supposed to be the player's house. Is there a way to keep the cell owned by the player but just have the merchant sell me things from the container owned by him?

Have you assigned one of the merchant classes to your bartender? In the Character > Class menu, you can pick one of the default classes (Publican might be good), or create your own class checking off the type of items you want him to sell.

Tried all of the merchant classes, didn't work. I've ticked 'Ingredients" and 'Potions" and gave the NPC 500 Barter Gold but the barter option still doesn't show up. It only shows up if I change ownership of the entire cell to him.

I suspect that merchants will only offer the barter menu when they are in a cell (or at a spot) that they 'own'. For example, if Melliwin (added by the Thieves Dens add-on) is standing anywhere except her 'designated' spot right beside her table she won't sell anything (no barter menu). I suppose you've already seen the CS Wiki My First Shop.

I suspect that merchants will only offer the barter menu when they are in a cell (or at a spot) that they 'own'. For example, if Melliwin (added by the Thieves Dens add-on) is standing anywhere except her 'designated' spot right beside her table she won't sell anything (no barter menu). I suppose you've already seen the CS Wiki My First Shop.

Yeah I did read that guide it that too told me to make the cell owned by the NPC. So I decided to use a workaround by giving cell ownership to the NPC and making it public but setting all the moveable items and storage chests to be owned by the Player Faction so I wouldn't get arrested for moving stuff around. However, is there a downside to this? As in if I put items in display cases will the cell reset remove items I put in this cell?

I would think that if the storage chests aren't set to respawn they would be OK. You could always use the trick I use for identifying safe storage chests in the wilderness .. put three cheap but not commonly found in leveled list items in the chest (I use three iron arrows). Come back after at least three game days have passed (while you avoid entering that cell). If your arrows are there you're golden.

You could have a look at how Bethesda set up Shady Sam outside of the IC. Looks to me like the only AI package they gave him is a travel package that takes him back to his editor location, and he's set up as a MerchTrader. His AI - Object Name dialogue shows 400 gold, with Potions and Miscellaneous ticked. Don't see anything special about the cell he's in (ICElvenGardensEntrance01 5,17), just him and his vendor's chest (buried under the ground at his feet, Sam's marked as the owner). Can't get much more bare bones that Sam's setup I'd say.

I would think that if the storage chests aren't set to respawn they would be OK. You could always use the trick I use for identifying safe storage chests in the wilderness .. put three cheap but not commonly found in leveled list items in the chest (I use three iron arrows). Come back after at least three game days have passed (while you avoid entering that cell). If your arrows are there you're golden.

You could have a look at how Bethesda set up Shady Sam outside of the IC. Looks to me like the only AI package they gave him is a travel package that takes him back to his editor location, and he's set up as a MerchTrader. His AI - Object Name dialogue shows 400 gold, with Potions and Miscellaneous ticked. Don't see anything special about the cell he's in (ICElvenGardensEntrance01 5,17), just him and his vendor's chest (buried under the ground at his feet, Sam's marked as the owner). Can't get much more bare bones that Sam's setup I'd say.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think either I missed something or the CS is just strangely sensitive. I actually copied the AI script for the Fighter's Stronghold merchant in the Merchant's Inn in the IC Market District since he sells things from a cell not owned by him. Yet strangely it just doesn't work for my NPC (sadface). Anyway, did the 3 day away test (a week just to be safe and also used the console command to pcb) and the items I put in the chest/cell are still there so I guess that means either way my workaround works.

Thanks Striker.

Edited by ContagiousCure

No problem ... I don't often come up with an elegant solution, but back when I worked I found you could 'convince' most problems to go away if you beat on them with a pipe wrench long enough.

Something you should know about using things outside of Oblivion.esm (especially some of Bethesda's DLCs) is that often you'll get results like that due to something called 'mod de-isolation'.