⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Tutorial: Adding Custom Voice even if the CK won't

SinderionsBones

@SinderionsBones

Quick question... I want to create a mod that will add a greater variety to established NPC's (like guards, bandits, necromancers etc.) I'm not looking to redo the LIP files, just want to import additional audio assets for the engine to pull from so that you aren't hearing the same 5 voices over and over again... Is that even possible given the CK in it's current state?

As they touch on in one of the quest tutorials on creationkit.com, the only issue with this is to make new files you need the original voice actors... or someone VERY close. Doing it is not the issue at all. In fact go over to the last few tutorials on the creation kit site related to quests and dialog and they talk about how to edit things like npc's hellos and goodbyes. The engine is built for doing exactly what you're talking about with minimal fuss EXCEPT NPC's talking with several different voices would be very odd.

Actually, I'm more interested on focusing on non-named NPC's. There are common things said by everyone regardless of city, gender, etc. "Arrow in the knee" for example. I don't want to have people impersonate the named NPC's so that it matches... I want to have a mod that just adds a great deal of variety to the radiant dialogue (said mostly by guards, etc) but also yelled out my forsworn, necros, bandits and whatnot. I've exported all the dialogue and I know where the .fuz files are... just not how to throw my pre-recorded audio files from other people into the pool that the engine uses when assigning a radiant voice... "keep your hands to yourself, sneak thief..." that sort of thing.

That's literally just a matter of placing the .wav file in the proper voicetype folder. Each voice/response has its' own unique filename (located halfway down on the response tab where you would record the audio) so export from your external appication the batch voicetype folder using that name. Generate a lip file to go with it and bingo. I'm not messing with the batch folders for fear of breaking everything but let me know if this works.

• 5 months later...

Bizzarely, having managed to get a partially voiced new NPC of my own creation that worked outside of follower dialogue, I lost my recorded voice files with a file problem. I tried re-recording. NO joy.

I tried editing my existing mod taking away the dialogue, quest, voice and follower status and starting again. Nothing

I tried creating a new mod with one npc and one line of dialogue using exactly the same technique as had worked before. Nothing.

Now I can't get a single npc to say even hello using custom dialogue, even though the files are in the right place, they are recognised in the CK, play fine on other software and exist in .wav & .xwm format. The character functions as both an npc and follower as long as i don't try to use a custom voice type.

Its almost as if the CK updated and changed its functionality. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing as that seems to fix some bits on the Ck when it breaks down, such as face importing, but nothing.

I'm pretty sure the process should be= create npc in the usual way. create new voice type. Link that to the npc. Create a new quest (say AAAdialogue) - link that so that it only applies to your npc using the question condition.

Go to misc tab - choose topic (Hello) - Create an entry in topic info - add and record using topic text. generate lip file (check recording has been successful) - exit and save.

Is there something else that i need to do that i am missing?

Anyone got any ideas why this process has suddenly stopped working?

• 3 weeks later...
It is still annyoing that you can't find ANY Tutorials for how to make custom combat sounds for an custom race. You can't just add sounds to the Voice Type and if you record some, i replaces all but doesn't show your race in the List. Just the Male, Female of other races but not the custom one.

• 4 months later...

Thanks a ton for posting this. I wasn't just doing it wrong, there was a lot more to the process than just recording. Thanks, thanks & thanks.

Do you have any comments on how to get the actors to speak without the need to save the game, restart Skyrim and then talk to them? Sometimes this isn't needed, sometimes it is.