help fixing CTD when loading save

emieri00

Hello there, I've tried posting in the technical help, but sadly, hardly anyone leaves responses in there.

Basically, my game crashes when I try to load my current saves.

after a LOT of research, I found out thanks to this topic that when editing the skyrim.ini file, if you edit/add the line 'uGridsToLoad=x' (x = any number, recommended is 5...) and remove it for some reason in the future, the save that had this becomes dependent on that line.

So, I went on and typed the line again [i removed it at some point] with the value it had before [9 - My computer is strong, but the game really was somewhat unstable after that] and CHEERS! the game DID load!

When I went on with the rest of the guide for restoring the save completely and removing that high ugrid value, the game itself received messed colors [i use fxaa, so I think the configurations got merged for good in the ini. Highly considering removing it] and the save isn't loading again.

I wonder if I did something wrong. [i did a clean install before to fully remove fxaa, but it didn't fix the save. Now not only the save, but the colors too are messy.]

to use quotations in skyrim, if you can't type it because your keyboard layout is different, you'll need to do this:

1: assure the keyboard language tool is appearing near your clock, in the start bar.

2: click it with the right button. There should be something like "Restore language bar" in the first option. click it and a bar with the keyboard options will appear near the top of your desktop

3: launch skyrim in fullscreen mode. After it's launched, hit alt + tab to return to the desktop.

4: hit alt+tab until you select skyrim again in the window list. If done right, instead of going back into the game, a "maximized" window with black interior will appear. That's the game window.

5: While this window is active, you can use the language bar that we opened earlier to change the keyboar layout for skyrim. After the change, just click the window, use alt + tab again to reselect skyrim, or click in its icon in the taskbar

6: back to the game, you can press the quote key when typing a name or in the console, but it won't appear just now. You need to press the quotation key, and then press space. The quotation will appear.

Just so you guys can see what I've been through when trying to fix this, and hoping to help others with part of my problems...

clean all the mods that you using, delete skyrim.ini and skyrimpref.ini (if you alter them, or being replaced from mod). if still no luck, re-install..

some of my friend said this trick save them from CTD problem..

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/503105-fix-for-ctds-and-missing-textures-32bit-large-memory-access/

Win 7 64 bits... :ohdear:

Well, I'm trying to clean skyrim again before a second clean install.

Any help with uninstalling the FXAA tool? Do I just need to run the uninstall tool?

Edited by emieri00

It's... actually an installer. :facepalm: I'll try to open it with winrar.

No luck.

----

I... Just deleted the folder with backups of the mods downloaded by skyrim mod manager... together with the game :facepalm:

The game is back in place, but the rest...

Well, colors are fixed, and off to fixing the sve again...

Edited by emieri00

This is a pretty serious glitch with nmm I've found. There is an internal debug routine within Skyrim that makes your loadscreens pink/red tint when it detects problems with the mod order and/or loose files. Deleting the file nmm generates will fix this, then you have to manually re-enable your mods. Messing with uGrids can also bork your game.

This is a pretty serious glitch with nmm I've found. There is an internal debug routine within Skyrim that makes your loadscreens pink/red tint when it detects problems with the mod order and/or loose files. Deleting the file nmm generates will fix this, then you have to manually re-enable your mods. Messing with uGrids can also bork your game.

Wait, really? I thought it was related to FXAA, since before the bronze look of the dragon emblem, it had a yellowish/golden look because of the fxaa configurations I've been using! Also, I did not add anything with an esp recently, the game was working fine, it was just the ugrid part that messed my game...

I'll try to fix it again soon, but I might ask someone to try and do it for me if I can't again. My save suposedly isn't mod-dependent, since most stuff I installed is model and texture replacement...

1. Backup SkyrimPrefs.ini, Skyrim.ini and your Skyrim ‘Saves’ folder.

2. Right click on Skyrim.ini in My Documents\My Games\Skyrim and uncheck ‘Read Only’ in the file’s properties.

3. Load your last save game.

4. Press tilde on your keyboard, most commonly placed directly to the left of ‘1.’ If it is elsewhere, the keyboard symbol should be ` or ~.

5. In the now-visible in-game console type setini “ugridstoload:general” 5

6. Hit Return on your keyboard.

7. Type saveini

8. Hit Return on your keyboard.

9. Type refreshini

10. Hit Return on your keyboard.

11. Close the console using tilde.

12. Create a new save game.

13. Exit Skyrim.

14. Delete Skyrim.ini in My Documents\My Games\Skyrim.

15. Reload the Skyrim configuration tool.

16. Close the tool.

17. Re-tweak Skyrim.ini if necessary (and SkyrimPrefs.ini if it has since been modified).

18. Reload Skyrim and your most recent save.

19. Enjoy the game.

The red tint from before, it was caused when I was following steps 13 and onwards. Also, the new save looks completely broken. The old one works when adding ugrids line to skyrim.ini, but no value of ugrids allows me to load the new save once the screen goes red. Hints?...