A Neverwinter Nights 2 Nexus?

casadechrisso

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I've always used the NWN Vault for NWN2 mods, it's has it's flaws. It's been very stagnate as of late, impossible to find unless your looking for it or someone linked you too it. Plus it far better setup for builders rather than players. The Nexus is a far more player friendly environment, much better organized and much more assessable since a multitude of games are hosted. I was thrilled about going through the DA mods when I first found this site, though I have to say I was a little disappointed. There were only about a dozen standalone adventure mods for DA, most of which just expanded the original game. There are currently over 150 standalone mods for NWN2 that have capped 5000 downloads (Not the least of which is the new Icewind Dale remake), and the modding community is still going strong despite how old the game is.

I think a NWN2 nexus would be a spectacular addition for both communities, bring a strong collection of mods to the Nexus' already spectacular collection and free us undead members of the NWN2 community from the oppressive reign of the NWN Vault Master Archlich (not to imply the vault is evil, it's just, well... undead).

The NWNvault always was hard to navigate. I'm still playing NWN and NWN2 to this day, so I would support this.

Its too bad that there were never too many new modules released for DA:O, but it was likely because of the lack of enemies (bandits, darkspawn,, animals and demons. Thats it.), as well as the toolset being harder to learn.

I'm not convinced. :(

The Nexus has some advantages over the vault that I'd really like to see made use of...

Honestly, the vault would need an almost impossible overhaul at this time to compete. A few points...

- it's horribly slow

- hard to find what you're looking for

- It's run by one person alone and depending on him, almost nothing is automated

- File size limit, upload moderation

- SPAMBOTS!

- Old design, hard to navigate, not newbie-friendly.

.. that's just some things coming to my mind right now. The vault was a great resource once, but at this time it's just not userfriendly enough. I was really hoping a Nexus alternative would bring some new life into NWN2 again, not as a direct competition, but for making the life for players and modders a bit easier. It's sad that Maximus didn't participate directly in the discussion too, to get an idea why some people would like this.

Well it looked like Maximus was getting things together with the Vault so I didn't think a Nexus would be necessary.

As much as I would love to see a Neverwinter Nexus, I do understand the amount work and resources that would need go into it's creation. However know that you have full support from the NWN community, and should you ever decide to go through with it, we of the NWN2 community will flood the place with awesome content as soon as it comes online.

I played NWN until NWN2 was published and have played that ever since. The community survived the loss of the original forum, but a lot of people dropped out with the move to the Bioware Social Network. We'll survive the demise of The Vault if it comes to that, but a new home at Nexus would be a huge help. This game has a hard core of perpetual fans and mod/module builders. If you consider all together 1) graphics, 2) toolset versatility, 3) established database of fan-made haks, modules, areas, upgrades etc etc, 4) established interest (it's Dungeons & Dragons), 5) fan base and 6) active, enthusiastic modding community, nothing else even comes close. Sure it's 5 years old, but why do you think it's still around? I've tried the rest (Dragon Age, Witcher, Elder Scrolls) but this is the one I come back to.

New content? I play this game almost exclusively and there are still lots of modules I haven't gotten to. This year we will have remakes of Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate available for NWN2. Why? Because people love it and love the module builders who put in hundreds of hours to make professional quality stuff for FREE. A Nexus site would expose a whole new "generation" of gamers to this wonderful game. Please think about it. I'm new to this forum, but I'll be here every day of there's a NWN2 section.

Regards,

Sieben Elfriend

p.s. I've been cruising around the site to get familiar with it, and noticed some people wanting to delete their accounts so they wouldn't have to pay for it. If you start a NWN2 sub-forum, I will pay for it. Promise.

Lifetime Membership purchased today.

Edited by Elfriend

I think the biggest thing to understand is the differencebetween the modding being done for NWN 1&2 and that of other games. For games like TES, or DA you see a lot ofmodding being done that add to the core game and not a lot of modding that addnew adventures that are separate from the original SP games.

With the NWN series of games, the modding community took theopposite approch and spent the lion share of their time modding with new,separate adventures that do not depend on the original campaign. Most of the custom content created for theNWN games was created, not for use in the original campaigns, but for use innew, user made adventures.

The main affect of this is you have a large, thriving PWcommunity, as well as several enormous SP module projects in progress. These generally take longer so you see lesserfile traffic, but this does not mean that there isn't anything going on

As far as community, these boards, and the IRC chat are itas far as discussion boards, which is pretty much the fault of the gamecompanies that produced the NWN games. Bioware got absorbed by EA and then they wrecked the community forums,so a ton of the community jumped ship and never found their way here. The NWVault forums have always been a havenfor spammers and trolls and no real community effort surfaced there.

A nexus site for NWN 1&2 would be a great boon for thecommunity and would allow people to see what is really going on...which is a lot for such an old game series.

Edited by MokahTGS