International Relations Omnibus

sukeban

Thanks Nintii for the response,

I pretty much agree with a lot of what you and Sukeban have pointed out.

The question for me has been that it has been reported the protests began as a part of the Arab Spring with human rights activists protesting and advocating change for democratic reforms, and to address a number of internal issues (poverty, corruption, etc.).

I was aware that Assad had spoken of some type of government reforms in Syria and it seemed he was willing to look at some (perhaps) less oppressive changes as a result of the Arab Spring movement and that there was some movement/activity/progress in regards to some reforms.

So the question that comes up for me is what happened, why did it break down and why so severely? It seemed a number of pretty good things were resulting from the activities in the Middle East and North Africa and the “5th wave of democracy” as it were, was underway, including in Syria. Suddenly, here is a pretty violent civil war that seems to be escalating and no clear information on what is happening, so what happened?

If this is not a human rights protest but a take over by extremists, then this makes some of what happening more understandable. The thing is there isn’t much of any value from the media on what is going on and most of what I see is political BS, with the need to send in troops being the only solution.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Ihoe "What makes Self Proclaimed Human Rights Right???" ....................... I uh, do it by the barrel of my gun ?

Elaboration is Bliss, especially to one that did not get the Sarcasm/ Joke/ Serious Fact.

Edited by Ihoe

@ Ihoe "What makes Self Proclaimed Human Rights Right???" ....................... I uh, do it by the barrel of my gun ?

Elaboration is Bliss, especially to one that did not get the Sarcasm/ Joke/ Serious Fact.

Probeer is die beste geweer ...

@ Tidus44 ... honestly, I don't know where it was supposed to break down ... it was all uprising everywhere and whoever could tumult did so ... What started off against

corruption and favoritism - Tunisian government money spending in the north of the country where all the tourists were and the failure to address lack in the rest of the

country and it's overthrow soon became an excuse for the radicals to run with their vision.

As much as I hated Gadaffi - so many reasons - it was so incredibly obvious what was to follow, see this quote four days old:

"Dubai: A year ago, it was about freedom of speech and the promise of secularism the fuel that drove the Arab Spring. Today, as many fallen regimes install new governments, the focus is Islamists.

The past year toppled the dictators of Tunisia, Egypt and Libya, while the fight continues in Syria. It was a year that witnessed the germination of democratic change as an idea but finally the Islamists grew into power.

The Muslim Brotherhood took the majority of the parliament seats in Egypt and Tunisia, while Libya is still getting ready for elections.

They were expected to win but had stressed their readiness to work with the secularists and always reassured to protect secularism. Suddenly, as they find the mantle of governance handed to them, their take has become more aggressively conservative. And this is leading to fear in the Arab World.

With Islamists in the region taking the lead in the first elections in Egypt and Tunisia following the Arab Spring, the concept of an emerging Brotherhood Crescent seems to be more likely. While the Brotherhood Crescent, which traditionally includes North Africa, Syria and Jordan, is not a new term, it is one that is slowly gaining momentum. And there is a country worried Jordan, as it could pose a threat to its stability.

If Bashar Al Assads regime in Syria falls, leaving in its wake chaos in the country, the political instability will also cross the border into Jordan.

For Jordan, the possible rise of Islamists in Syria, particularly the Muslim Brotherhood, is worrisome. This will help the Islamists in the kingdom demand power, expanding the so-called Brotherhood Crescent, said political analyst Mohammad Abu Rumman in an AFP report.

Up to this point in the Arab Spring, Jordan has remained relatively unscathed, quieting any protests that emerged in the kingdom, but if the Syrian uprising gives Islamists another political platform in the region, and Jordan could face even more pressure.

Hassan Abu Hanieh, an expert on Islamist groups and issues, said in an AFP report: Jordan will have to give concessions to Islamists in the kingdom, where they have been leading pro-reform protests since last year. This will make the country fall into the circle of an 'Islamist spring'. It is definitely a problem for Jordan."

This pretty much sums it up for me.

Edited by Nintii

Pacifisme is My Ideaal

Is dit wat moeilik om te antwoord nie? Ek vind jou kommentaar dof, met 'n gebrek aan hoflikheid, soos die vertel van iemand wat Jy is laer as slang kak se skaduwee op die seebodem, 'n Afrikaanse idioom.

Pacifisme is My Ideaal

Is dit wat moeilik om te antwoord nie? Ek vind jou kommentaar dof, met 'n gebrek aan hoflikheid, soos die vertel van iemand wat Jy is laer as slang kak se skaduwee op die seebodem, 'n Afrikaanse idioom.

Ok you folks need to post something I can read without giving myself a headache.~Lisnpuppy

Pacifisme is My Ideaal

Ok you folks need to post something I can read without giving myself a headache.~Lisnpuppy

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

All hail Voice of Reason!!! (I'm not kidding)

Pacifisme is My Ideaal

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

All hail Voice of Reason!!! (I'm not kidding)

Um, next time please check your "sayings" before posting :facepalm:

@ Tidus44 ... honestly, I don't know where it was supposed to break down ... it was all uprising everywhere and whoever could tumult did so ... What started off against

corruption and favoritism - Tunisian government money spending in the north of the country where all the tourists were and the failure to address lack in the rest of the

country and it's overthrow soon became an excuse for the radicals to run with their vision.

As much as I hated Gadaffi - so many reasons - it was so incredibly obvious what was to follow, see this quote four days old:

"Dubai: A year ago, it was about freedom of speech and the promise of secularism – the fuel that drove the Arab Spring. Today, as many fallen regimes install new governments, the focus is Islamists.

The past year toppled the dictators of Tunisia, Egypt and Libya, while the fight continues in Syria. It was a year that witnessed the germination of democratic change as an idea but finally the Islamists grew into power.

The Muslim Brotherhood took the majority of the parliament seats in Egypt and Tunisia, while Libya is still getting ready for elections.

They were expected to win but had stressed their readiness to work with the secularists and always reassured to protect secularism. Suddenly, as they find the mantle of governance handed to them, their take has become more aggressively conservative. And this is leading to fear in the Arab World.

With Islamists in the region taking the lead in the first elections in Egypt and Tunisia following the Arab Spring, the concept of an emerging Brotherhood Crescent seems to be more likely. While the ‘Brotherhood Crescent’, which traditionally includes North Africa, Syria and Jordan, is not a new term, it is one that is slowly gaining momentum. And there is a country worried – Jordan, as it could pose a threat to its stability.

If Bashar Al Assad’s regime in Syria falls, leaving in its wake chaos in the country, the political instability will also cross the border into Jordan.

“For Jordan, the possible rise of Islamists in Syria, particularly the Muslim Brotherhood, is worrisome. This will help the Islamists in the kingdom demand power, expanding the so-called ‘Brotherhood Crescent’,” said political analyst Mohammad Abu Rumman in an AFP report.

Up to this point in the Arab Spring, Jordan has remained relatively unscathed, quieting any protests that emerged in the kingdom, but if the Syrian uprising gives Islamists another political platform in the region, and Jordan could face even more pressure.

Hassan Abu Hanieh, an expert on Islamist groups and issues, said in an AFP report: “Jordan will have to give concessions to Islamists in the kingdom, where they have been leading pro-reform protests since last year. This will make the country fall into the circle of an 'Islamist spring'. It is definitely a problem for Jordan."

This pretty much sums it up for me.

Is that opposed to amateur beer?

@ HeyYou ... I like beer I'm "pro-beer" lol ...

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff434/yuri-chick/beer.jpg

Black label the best beer in the world ...

it simply means to "try" or to attempt to do", which in this case I was saying that I "was trying" to answer ihoe ... directly translated word

for word it means "trying is the best gun (or weapon)", but that doesn't sound right.

After all, how do you answer "What makes self proclaimed human rights right ?" ... they are set standards formulated by groups of people with human interests, though not

always correct, the fundamentals they preach are valid.

And the fundamentals preached by Sharia Law are in direct opposition to those espoused by the Free world ... therefore, my answer ... " ... by the barrel of my gun".

Because that's what normally has the final say, right ?

@ my dear enigmatic MarxistBastard ... :facepalm: is a symbol that is a constructive image statement (minus the inflammortory) indicating your stupidity, and is therefore,

a directive pointing you away from being an obvious bonehead.

I find that to be pretty constructive, actually, it's a nice way of saying "C'mon don't do/say that ... turn ye, and take yonder path, for the path upon which you now travel is

fraught with many dangers".

And Dr Nintii MD finds that extremely constructive.

Edited by Nintii