gandalftw

howdy gandalf,

that is an interesting future project to be sure.

I'm cautiously optimistic, given what H G White of eaglewerks had to say about it in '14.

plasmonic WEAV and "Project WEAV",

flux-pumping and quantum interlocking/quantum thomson switch etc,

all of that is an interesting factor to what is essentially a MAGLEV train hehe.

I do invite you to consider some other perspectives on it though;

particularly,

Fenner Conference '15 day 3 side panel.

MAHB's reflection, IEEE's '16 2nd quarter feature piece,

CASSE's econometric total-systems review,

thunderf00t's critical vid based on ERoEI and EMERGY

and Erin Brocovitch's reflections to name a few.

hopefully, the meta-materials used in the project

prove to make this project viable,

it'll probably be a plasma-cushion maglev, not a 'vacuum tube'

unlike some clearly 'overhyped' projects in recent times such as "solar freakin' roadways" etc.

Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible. - Lord Kelvin (1824-1907), ca. 1895, British mathematician and physicist

...no possible combination of known substances, known forms of machinery, and known forms of force, can be united in a practical machine by which man shall fly long distances through the air... - Simon Newcomb (1835-1909), astronomer, head of the U. S. Naval Observatory.

I confess that in 1901 I said to my brother Orville that man would not fly for fifty years. Two years later we ourselves made flights. This demonstration of my impotence as a prophet gave me such a shock that ever since I have distrusted myself and avoided all predictions. - Wilbur Wright (1867-1912) [in a speech to the Aero Club of France (Nov 5, 1908)]

Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value. - Marshal Ferdinand Foch, French military strategist, 1911. He was later a World War I commander.

This foolish idea of shooting at the moon is an example of the absurd length to which vicious specialization will carry scientists working in thought-tight compartments. Let us critically examine the proposal. For a projectile entirely to escape the gravitation of earth, it needs a velocity of 7 miles a second. The thermal energy of a gramme at this speed is 15,180 calories... The energy of our most violent explosive--nitroglycerine--is less than 1,500 calories per gramme. Consequently, even had the explosive nothing to carry, it has only one-tenth of the energy necessary to escape the earth... Hence the proposition appears to be basically impossible. - W. A. Bickerton, Professor of Physics and Chemistry at Canterbury College (Christchurch, New Zealand), 1926.

There is not in sight any source of energy that would be a fair start toward that which would be necessary to get us beyond the gravitative control of the earth. - Forest Ray Moulton (1872-1952), astronomer, 1935.

To place a man in a multi-stage rocket and project him into the controlling gravitational field of the moon where the passengers can make scientific observations, perhaps land alive, and then return to earth--all that constitutes a wild dream worthy of Jules Verne. I am bold enough to say that such a man-made voyage will never occur regardless of all future advances. - Lee deForest (1873-1961) (American radio pioneer and inventor of the vacuum tube.) Feb 25, 1957.

Space travel is utter bilge. - Dr. Richard van der Reit Wooley, Astronomer Royal, space advisor to the British government, 1956. (Sputnik orbited the earth the following year.)

Computers in the future may...perhaps only weigh 1.5 tons. - Popular Mechanics, 1949.

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home. - Kenneth Olsen, president and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977.

Howdy,Hehe,just teasing, :tongue: I have no idea if it will actually happen but it's fun to imagine that it might.

Edited by gandalftw

We already have the tech to do it. As demonstrated already, what we DON'T have, is the money to make it happen..... Unfortunately, our government would prefer to fritter away money on meaningless projects, because 'they look good'... rather than spend the money on something that will actually HELP.

We already have the tech to do it. As demonstrated already, what we DON'T have, is the money to make it happen..... Unfortunately, our government would prefer to fritter away money on meaningless projects, because 'they look good'... rather than spend the money on something that will actually HELP.

From what i understand Elon Musk is planning on funding the project himself.