The mods Skyrim NEEDS

andiders

Skyrim needs extended dialogue for NPC's. Who is Ulfric Stormcloak, as a person? In what Hold was he raised, and who were his influences? General Tulius? The same. I want to know the men I fight for. Know them deeply, personally. On a level with Chief Hanlon from Fallout: New Vegas. They paid a professional hollywood actor for tons of optional dialogue in that game, and Bethesda couldn't do the same here? Why not?

Options in quests: Bethesda relied too heavily on Radiant Story in this game (an awful system, in fact) to generate quests for them. These quests require no thought, and evoke zero emotional response from players. There are far too many quests in game with no real stakes, no real consequences.

More choices and more consequences: Why did a certain character not try and kill me, when I refused to kill another character who had helped me during the MQ? Instead, they just...walk away. What about their convictions? And why could I not try and talk them around to me view? (And I still cannot do so now.)

More NPC's: Travelers on roads. Wandering gypsy-like nomads. Soldiers drilling or marching to new camps. Skirmishes like those in Warzones. Maybe not as big but something to add atmosphere to the war. Even Fallout 3 had some of these now and then.

Better use of time: If I am asked to fetch a magical artifact - and I am, far too often - and then I am told others need to 'discover what it is' I should have to wait a few days, or even weeks, for the quest to move on. Instead, its about 24hrs in game, and oh, they mysteriously figure it out. Why not make use of time to allow people to explore this huge world you created? Elapsing time in this way adds immersion to the quests. And Skyrim needs more immersion.

• 5 months later...

ClueyCLueless

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

"I am new to this forum etc and im really tired so i havent had a full browse so im sorry if this is mentioned somewhere.. I personally think Skyrim BADLY needs some sort of location search/filter keyword or something search function as there is a lot of places in Skyrim and you may/may not remember them all"

TOTALLY AGREED. I looked around and saw no mods for this, which was actually quite surprising. Skyrim needs this and i hope somebody with the skill to produce a nice mod for this sees this post, I dont know how to redirect or put this somewhere such that mod devs can see this but that would also be appreciated. Dying for this.

I remember Todd Howard bragging Skyrim was the ultimate assassin's game, felt more like hype.

Not enough assassinating kill animations, just the simple amateur throat slitting every time. I prefer this animation in its place (with the added option for those who want both).

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5102/5595612107_762850a8b8.jpg

Really satisfying every time, never got old for me, and more effective too.

http://www.dignews.com/legacy/screenshots/splinter_cell_chaos_render_01.jpg

More please...

http://www.dignews.com/legacy/screenshots/splinter_cell_chaos_08.jpg

Imagine doing this in Skyrim...

One mod i think Skyrim Needs is Throw-able Potions.

i mean right now we have 2 choices drink it or put it on our weapon

wheres the alchemy potions you chuck at people, set traps with (witch is an other mod that might be fun setting up and using traps), and use to give a piece of armor or weapon a temporary bonus? (other then poisons that is)

I agree 100% on the magic.

Speaking of which, Skyrim needs to bring:

1. Some awesome Morrowind weapons. Jesus, whatever happened to my beloved crossbow? I pulled off ridiculous stunts with that, not to mention, isn't Skyrim supposed to be AFTER Morrowind? There should be at least some form of weaponized explosives by now (Bomb crafting anyone?)

2. Some sort of vision enhancing item, LIKE A FREAKIN' TELESCOPE. Galileo had one, jeez, and it had about 3-30x magnification. Very useful for spotting stuff on High Hrothgar.

3. Some sea-sailing mods. Seriously. Boats were a huge part of Norse life. WHY ARE THE ONLY ONES I SEE IN PORTS OR ARE CRASHED?

These are just a few of the improvements I think Skyrim desperately needs.

1. Combat in Morrowind suffered because there were too many weapon types. Crossbows are the Dawnguard expansion, has your head been stuck in the sand lately? And someone has made a mod for weaponized explosives I think, just search for poision overhauls and alchemy additions on the Nexus.

3. Someone has also made a boat mod, I believe its on youtube.

I am new to this forum etc and im really tired so i havent had a full browse so im sorry if this is mentioned somewhere.. I personally think Skyrim BADLY needs some sort of location search/filter keyword or something search function as there is a lot of places in Skyrim and you may/may not remember them all

Hi. I don't know of any mods that do this, but there is this other option: UESP Skyrim Map

It's basically just like the Google-maps website, but of Skyrim. And it does have a search bar where you can type in keywords to find a place by name (even if you only remember half of the name of some place, the search bar will still find places from it). It's pretty useful, the only caveat being that you have to pause the game and alt-tab out of it in order to check the map for a certain place that you forget the location of. (Although if you're playing on a console & you have your computer right nearby, that would probably work easier).

---------

Other than that, I have several suggestion of my own of mods that (IMO) this game REALLY needs.

1. Completely get rid of the cinematic sequence of chopping wood & mining ore!

Personally I love gathering & harvesting materials, even in a game where that's not very essential, so when I discover an ore vein I get excited. But when I click to mine it, I then have to just sit there and watch my character boringly swing a pickaxe into the vein slowly several times. I can't do anything while it's happening, just sit there tapping my fingers on my desk. SO BORING! And then there's the job of gathering firewood to sell in Riverwood (when a character is just starting out), I have to spend more time passively watching my character chop wood than I spend running around the town finding all the wood-chopping blocks. The same boring movement, several times each scene, and the scene played over & over. There is no functional purpose to it!

There needs to be some way to just remove the cutscenes entirely. Make it so that when click to activate a chopping block or ore vein, it just instantly goes to showing me how much I gathered, keeping me in 1st-person-view. It's fine if there's a quick "blink" from before what would've been the cinematic to after, and if it still sheathes my weapons and passes a tiny bit of game-time, as long as I don't have to spend all those boring minutes of real-time watching it.

(BTW I don't give a crap about immersion. I'm playing an RPG.}

2. When I'm shopping at a merchant, and I'm on the BUYING screen, for each item available for me to buy there should be number indicating how many of that same item I already have in my inventory. Sometimes I might just want to buy all the things of a certain type that I don't have already, or just by alchemy ingredients that I don't already have a ton of. Supply & demand makes a difference even to us the customers; we can't know what we demand if we don't know how what we already have supplied. And switching back & forth from the seller's menu to my own in the barter screen can unnecessarily tedious.

3. When sneaking, the eye symbol shows whether or not I'm being detected, but it only works on a yes/no basis. If in a place with several people, there is no clue given as to who is detecting me, or how many beings. There ought to be a way to tell if a specific target can detect me at a given moment, regardless of anyone else in the area. Like if I'm sneaking up to a person to pickpocket, but there are creatures nearby who can see me, or I have a companion with me who doesn't mind if I commit a crime, then the eye will be open, but I won't know whether or not the person right in front of me is one of the characters that causes the "eye to be open." Just because there is a cow nearby looking at me, does not mean that the lone farmer I'm standing behind can tell I'm there, so I shouldn't have to worry about, or just have to guess, whether or not the farmer can see me when I reach for his wallet.

I am new to this forum etc and im really tired so i havent had a full browse so im sorry if this is mentioned somewhere.. I personally think Skyrim BADLY needs some sort of location search/filter keyword or something search function as there is a lot of places in Skyrim and you may/may not remember them all

Hi. I don't know of any mods that do this, but there is this other option: UESP Skyrim Map

It's basically just like the Google-maps website, but of Skyrim. And it does have a search bar where you can type in keywords to find a place by name (even if you only remember half of the name of some place, the search bar will still find places from it). It's pretty useful, the only caveat being that you have to pause the game and alt-tab out of it in order to check the map for a certain place that you forget the location of. (Although if you're playing on a console & you have your computer right nearby, that would probably work easier).

---------

Other than that, I have several suggestion of my own of mods that (IMO) this game REALLY needs.

1. Completely get rid of the cinematic sequence of chopping wood & mining ore!

Personally I love gathering & harvesting materials, even in a game where that's not very essential, so when I discover an ore vein I get excited. But when I click to mine it, I then have to just sit there and watch my character boringly swing a pickaxe into the vein slowly several times. I can't do anything while it's happening, just sit there tapping my fingers on my desk. SO BORING! And then there's the job of gathering firewood to sell in Riverwood (when a character is just starting out), I have to spend more time passively watching my character chop wood than I spend running around the town finding all the wood-chopping blocks. The same boring movement, several times each scene, and the scene played over & over. There is no functional purpose to it!

There needs to be some way to just remove the cutscenes entirely. Make it so that when click to activate a chopping block or ore vein, it just instantly goes to showing me how much I gathered, keeping me in 1st-person-view. It's fine if there's a quick "blink" from before what would've been the cinematic to after, and if it still sheathes my weapons and passes a tiny bit of game-time, as long as I don't have to spend all those boring minutes of real-time watching it.

(BTW I don't give a crap about immersion. I'm playing an RPG.}

2. When I'm shopping at a merchant, and I'm on the BUYING screen, for each item available for me to buy there should be number indicating how many of that same item I already have in my inventory. Sometimes I might just want to buy all the things of a certain type that I don't have already, or just by alchemy ingredients that I don't already have a ton of. Supply & demand makes a difference even to us the customers; we can't know what we demand if we don't know how what we already have supplied. And switching back & forth from the seller's menu to my own in the barter screen can unnecessarily tedious.

3. When sneaking, the eye symbol shows whether or not I'm being detected, but it only works on a yes/no basis. If in a place with several people, there is no clue given as to who is detecting me, or how many beings. There ought to be a way to tell if a specific target can detect me at a given moment, regardless of anyone else in the area. Like if I'm sneaking up to a person to pickpocket, but there are creatures nearby who can see me, or I have a companion with me who doesn't mind if I commit a crime, then the eye will be open, but I won't know whether or not the person right in front of me is one of the characters that causes the "eye to be open." Just because there is a cow nearby looking at me, does not mean that the lone farmer I'm standing behind can tell I'm there, so I shouldn't have to worry about, or just have to guess, whether or not the farmer can see me when I reach for his wallet.

Actually, instead of doing the mine "cutscene", you can equip the pickaxe as weapon, and "attack" the ore vein. Works with dualweilding pickaxes too.

It's great, especially if you're like me and have increased the veins from 3 to 15 (to be more realistic).

Another thing about the magic, companions, and bosses

1. In many RPGs I've played thet had party based combat (Optional or not). You always had the power to buff and heal your partners quickly (and vice versa). How come there is such a limited range of spells for empowering others. I mean I counted only 2 in the school of restoration that allowed healing of others (Healing hands, and grand healing no in between). One in illusion (Courage). And that's it. This issue extends to potions as well I didn't really considered this an issue until I saw that skyrim trailer showing followers giving out healing potions.

2. Also the vanilla companion system sucks hard, not just because you have little control over them. But because they can be hurt (and killed) by you. I cannot tell you how many times I had to restart a fight because my partner got in the way of my charge attach, or fireball splash damage. They need to add an option to turn on or off friendly fire when in combat or various situations. You think it's just me being a noob. But in actuality the thing is THEY CAN'T HARM YOU WHILE UNDER YOUR SERVICE. Seriously I've tested it Lydia shield bashed straight through me and into another bandit who was sent reeling off a cliff. Seriously this is annoying for gameplay reasons only.

2a. Also why doesn't any mod try and add a follower team work system, I mean what about team dynamics healing each other and their leader. Working together to put down a foe, Staying close, spread out, do this or that when in danger. And also allow a sort of ingame ai programming. Similar to the system implemented in final fantasy 12. As you level up speech (Or travel with friends and up relationship ranks as a team) more options pop up, bonuses for traveling with certain classes or species or blessings. And also an excuse to add more deadly enemies or larger more expansive battles

3. Why can't NPCs tell the difference between accidentally picking up something and actively stealing it? Say I'm in the shop and I'm trying to talk with the owner instead I accidentally click too early early and snag a small bag of coins (Has like 3 coins inside). I instantly have a bounty. No chance to explain myself or give the stolen item back? Instead they should have a more complex crime system. Where NPCs actually consider letting you go scot free if you pay up for the stolen item (Effectively buying it), or give it back. And NPCs have to have a good look at you before they can effectively place a bounty on you. As well as make them more cautious or constantly look around when something truly odd happens. Like getting hit with a fire ball or the sound of someone they know (Within similar factions) screaming. Come on give NPCs better logic.

4. What is wrong with species variety. I know this is nord territory and few travel up there. But seriously add more beast races to various places traveling argonain merchants or mercenaries would be nice. In fact...

4a. Traveling/secret/rival boss fights. One thing I love about JRPGs is that they have some neat ways in handling extra bosses. Doing a quest that is seemingly like any other quickly gets out of hand and grows into an epic adventure that spans the country and beyond. Or at random get into a fight with some particularly powerful people or monster. Something that wars in skyrim only partially solved with heroes and villains.

Spears would be a good addition. One's that the player can actually thrust at the enemy, and toggle to throw as well.

Now that they have mounted combat, all they need to do is add mounted spell casting. Adding mounted enemies would be a good touch as well, so you're not always kiting the enemy.

Another mod..that would probably be really really difficult to put in, if not impossible...that would make Skyrim's combat better would be if they had the x-ray mode they have in Mortal Kombat 9.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm7VTbf4Irs