New here, skyrim is crashing windows completely

ramxi

I have TES V:skyrim on steam. I just recenlty installed it and really wanna mod the game since i got a 1440p monitor with a gtx1070.

But my game keeps crashing my computer completely making me hard restart the computer.

I have been using nexus mods and installed 2 mods, one for lighting and one for grass. The grass mod made me alter the .ini file with a line of code.

Ive tried changing the compatibility towin 7 and running in admin on the skyrim.exe, the only difference i saw was the game wasnt crashing windows completely, it was only crashing to the DESKTOP.

Any ideas here? Could it be because i have NMM and skyrim installed on my D: drive and NOT the C drive?

NMM was also not opening earlier so i had to reinstall it.

I didnt expect this to get so complicated. Hopefully i can get some guidance. Thanks.

ps, ill be going to bed now , got work in the AM, so i will check back tmrw morning.

I have installed real lighting and another one that increases grass and flora.

edit: it was skyrim flora overhaul I believe, im not at home so I cant view which one exactly

Edited by ramxi

Hi. So first of all you don't want to install mods inside the C Drive due to possible permission problems and also if your game crashes on startup (I dont know when it happens) it is because of a missing master file. Do you have all the DLC's for Skyrim?

Yes exactly. Do you crash as soon as you start up the game? Like you only get to the main menu if even that? The thing with not having all the DLC's is that many, many mods actually have something called a dependency on some of the DLC's. This means if you download a mod that requires Dawnguard DLC to work and you don't have the Dawnguard DLC your game will crash upon start up. This happens more often with new users as well since they are not as experienced in what files they should download. I think Skyrim Flora Overhaul and Realistic Lighting Overhaul has some files that require the DLCs. You can try and install the specific files of those mods that don't require any dlcs (if there is any such files.) Or buy all the DLC's and then your game will not crash when using those mods along with the majority of mods on the nexus.

Edited by morogoth35

Just checking, do you have have Special Edition (includes the DLC) or original Skyrim (does not include the DLC).

Did you play through Helgen (and save) before adding mods?

Did you check each mod for required dependencies? Dependencies are NOT automatically added, you have to add these BEFORE you add the mod that needs them.

For example, if you add a follower that requires XPMS skeleton, the game will crash if the skeleton is not present.

Installing to D: drive should be handled by Steam, and should not be an issue to the game.

profbraino, I believe I did load up the last save I had which was in a broken down castle covered in snow? is this helgen?

I guess im going to have to download the DLC then because I really wanna play with mods, the game looks so aged to me. Im picky like that.

Morogoth, should I just delete all save files and start fresh after I get DLC?

Helgen is the very first place, where you define the character race and gender etc. The castle with snow is well into the game, and is not an optimal place to start adding mods, as mods can affect and contradict what is already in the savegame files. Once you get your mods set up and understand whats going on, you can add and remove mods as long as you do it "properly" but to start, you want to reduce the number of issues, hence the recommendation to start a new game.

If you have the NON Special edition version, you do NOT need the DLC. I have non SE edition, and it works fine once its installed correctly.

In any case the key is dependencies. If mods say it requires another mod, then you MUST install that mod first. Be aware that mod authors might not always be clear about what is required, sometimes you have to read the entire description to discover something is required.

In addition to installing in the dependencies, the load order is the other critical aspect. You need a load order sorting tool. I use LOOT (legacy 0.64) since I have old Skyrim and Windows XP.

Remove both mods, and install one, if it does not crash, install the next. This will tell you which mod has and issue, probably with you video driver or other hardware related adjustment.

If you have follower mods, crashes come from incompatible skeletons, etc.

In any case, add and debug one mod at a time. Its quicker.

Edited by profbraino

profbraino, I believe I did load up the last save I had which was in a broken down castle covered in snow? is this helgen?

I guess im going to have to download the DLC then because I really wanna play with mods, the game looks so aged to me. Im picky like that.

Morogoth, should I just delete all save files and start fresh after I get DLC?

Yeah I would recommend doing that.