Skyrim Translated mods

Bancai

My way around this; i added the following to my mod's description and permission notes.

Translation Permission - if you want to translate this mod into another language, YOU MUST FOLLOW THESE STEPS;

1. Upload your translated version to a free file-sharing service, and PM me (my profile on NexusMods) with the link. Do not post the link in any public forums.

2. I will find someone who is fluent in both our languages to check and verify the translation.

3. If i authorize the translation, i will make the file available as an optional file on the main page for my mod. I will include you in the credits, for making the translation.

If you want to add something like this to your mods, feel free to C&P this.

Well my idea, which might be a lot easier to add is simple.

Just like to view, adult content you must "unlock it" within your settings and mods are flagged with adult or not.

So simply when mods upload content, have it select which languages its for, "All, English, Russian, etc".

Then within the settings have people select which languages they would like to see, all, english etc.

This way they can create as many mods as they want, but as my settings would be set to english, i would only see english mods and none of the translations.

"Another idea, if people feel that one is bad is instead of setting which language the mod is for it would be a "Mod" or "Translations". Then in my setting i could turn off translations and they not be listed.

The reason i suggest these ideas, is because they r nothing new this feature is already in place for adult content so it would just be a case of copy/paste code with different varaibles.

**Reason i suggested the second idea is because in some cases, someone could upload a very cool weapon in dutch for example. The fact its in dutch wouldn't bother me and i would be a shame to lose out on if i had my settings to english. Which is why the second is prob better an idea :)

**Also i have spoken to a few authors now, it seams in many cases the translation mods are uploaded without permissions or even without asking for permissions. I find this extremely unsettling people work hard on their work, and have rights. Even if its taken down the damage could be already done.

Edited by IanN1990

From our Terms Of Service

The official language of the Nexus sites is English and English should be the primary language used at all times. We reserve the right to remove any content from the Nexus sites that isn't written in English.

Translations are a courtesy. Not a feature.

• 1 month later...

This problem could be non-existant if the creators of the translated mods just used the tag feature, ie check that it is in a foreign langugage and NOT english.

Sadly though you cant use the tag feature when browsing "latest mods". Perhaps enabling this feature combined with a more strict moderating that forces uploaders to add correct language in mod desciption could be a pretty simple solution?

Also, can i report all these mods that has faulty language description? I am most happy to do so, all these non english mods have slowly driven me to rrrrrrage! :devil:

I don't actually understand why or how translated mods are such a big issue, but I suppose they are for some.

I do not find them to be any problem at all - they are usually well marked, easily recognizable and easy to pass by. However, I would be against taking them off the listings as I - and I am sure others - see mod translations and then find a mod I missed or had forgotten about.

This morning is a good example, there is a translated mod in the listings that I had seen some time ago (in Beta and in English), forgot about, and today the translation is listed so I went back to the English mod version and downloaded it. If that translation had not been listed, I'd never have found or remembered that mod.

I think every mod on the site adds to the site and that segregating mods would be a bit of a disservice to mod makers and those who translate them.

I don't actually understand why or how translated mods are such a big issue, but I suppose they are for some.

I do not find them to be any problem at all - they are usually well marked, easily recognizable and easy to pass by. However, I would be against taking them off the listings as I - and I am sure others - see mod translations and then find a mod I missed or had forgotten about.

This morning is a good example, there is a translated mod in the listings that I had seen some time ago (in Beta and in English), forgot about, and today the translation is listed so I went back to the English mod version and downloaded it. If that translation had not been listed, I'd never have found or remembered that mod.

I think every mod on the site adds to the site and that segregating mods would be a bit of a disservice to mod makers and those who translate them.

Sadly some see scrolling a web page as back breaking work.

On the file upload page, I'd put a box regarding translations. It would ask, first, what the language of the mod is and if it's a translation of another Nexus mod. If it's not a translation, it would ask what your permissions in regard to translations are (optionally, this choice could be with the other permissions). The options would be allow without my approval (meaning translations would be immediately linked upon upload), ask me (meaning you get a request after the upload for the page to be linked, and until you approve or deny the file it's hidden), or no (which would not allow the upload of the file). This option can be changed retroactively, but I don't think the translation should be set to hidden if you set your option to no at a later date, it just seems unfair to the person who put the work into the translation when you were cool with it. You will, however, always have the option to un-link and re-link translations. If they disregard your other permissions (such as giving proper credit) then you can report them.

If it is a translation, you'd then have to put in the link to the original mod. What would happen in response depends on the original author's choices above. Mods marked as translations of Nexus files would be set to a semi-unlisted state. They would only show up on the translator's files list and a new mod list on the main page under latest files labeled new translations (there'd need to be a way to display the language of the translation, though). The reasons for a new section are twofold: More exposure for the original mod (it puts them back on the front page) and easier access for those looking for translations. I think it would be a good idea if you could filter that section by language, too. One thing I'm undecided on is if the new translations box should link to the original mod or the translated file, though I'm thinking the original file should probably be it, seeing as you're likely to need some resources from that to begin with, which leads me into another point.

Translation files shouldn't include more files than are necessary, only the files that are actually translated. As mentioned earlier, you probably don't need a translation for something with only sound files. I say probably, however, because it's possible that speech was translated, or perhaps in-depth documentation if the mod has lengthy install instructions. That's why you can't just limit it to esp files; another example is a mod that translates, perhaps, the textures on signs.

So, how does that sound?