Found the Railroad, but Tradecraft won't start.

Benjango

If you're on a modded save, check for the cleaner switchboard mod by elianora. That mod is what was causing the bug for me.

Second that. Had exactly the same problem, and removing cleanswitchboard got rid of it. Thanks for posting this after finding the solution bro, saved me a lot of time !

Edit : And I only have myself to blame as it is clearly stated on the mod page to only install after completion of Tradecraft. Fortunately I saw it before reporting, I am sure mod authors are sick of idiots who complain but don't take the time to actually read what modders write.

Edited by Belmakor83

• 1 year later...

I know this is old as hell, but it recently happened to me and it was annoying me. I copied the quest in creation kit and checked "Allow Reserved" on all the quest parts/scripts. I saved it as an esp and started it in console under the new name. I kept using the console to advance the quest until I got to the locked vault containing the prototype at the switchboard. On a whim, I used the console to summon Deacon. Surprisingly, he started talking to me as if we were at the church and just starting the quest. He told me meet him at the overpass and the proper quest line started. From there, it continued like normal, finished, and even went on to the next quest line. I still had the cloned version of tradecraft in my journal, so I used the console to complete it. Can't swear this would work for anyone else or not break something else, but it worked for me regardless of how ugly and clumsy it is. I'll attach the esp I made. The quest name is TCRadioRR102. Sorry, I was trying to do something a lot more complicated when I named it. Attached is the esp. Just rename it.

Everything but the name of the quest is a clone of Tradecraft/RR102 (quest steps)

1. enable esp

2. setstage TCRadioRR102 50

3. continue using console to advance quest if Deacon and the others won't talk to you.

4. Advance quest until you're at the switchboard vault holding Dr. Dickbird's prototype.

5. Summon Deacon to you using console.

6. Talk to deacon. Hopefully, this will start the proper version of Tradecraft. You may be able to get him to talk to you sooner. Idk.

7. Complete Tradecraft normally.

8. Use completequest TCRadioRR102 console command to finish/remove RR102 clone version

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

If you're on a modded save, check for the cleaner switchboard mod by elianora. That mod is what was causing the bug for me.

I just want you to know, some FIVE YEARS after you made this post, I found it whilst searching the interwebs for why I was having the exact same issue described in this thread (re: Deacon & Tradecraft). As a matter of fact, none of my main quests would start correctly, right from the beginning of the game, not even the Concord one to help out Pres & Co. And even after I'd rescued Nicky from 114, the game ground to a halt because all he'd say post-escape was "What happened?" Your solution? FIXED IT. You deserve a five-years-later epic kudo for this. THANK YOU. Sincerely.