Performance Problem, Low FPS Drops with GTX1080ti

kammi

Hey there,

so my problem are very heavy FPS drops in some city areas (down to 30FPS) or in heavy built up areas (for example: below 20FPS in heavily built up Sancuary)

my game is heavily modded with visual enhancements (ENB, 4k texture packs) i know, you want to say: "too heavy modded, turn down shadows, deinstall 4k packs"... BUT.

The thing is i updated my grafic card to a 1080 ti amp extreme. Through fallout monitor i could see that my former GPU was at 100% limiting in sanctuary, so it would explain the drops,

But since the upgrade nothing has changed FPS-wise. Now Im only at 71% gpu max (in worst areas). And all other Components aren´t limiting too. cpu: 60 - 70% max value, vram: 8gb max value (11gb available), RAM 4-5 GB max. value (16GB available) .so i kind a dont know what the problem is. maybe anyone here knows the trick.

specs:

4790k i7 4GHZ

GTX 1080 ti Amp Extreme (newest driver)

16GB RAM

Installed on SSD

WIn10 64Bit

i use enboost and shadow boost.

greetz, kammi

The only difference between your rig and mine is the video card. Mine is GTX 1070 and i7-6700 .... I only have 83 mods and none of them are texture / graphics mods ... why ? First of all, Fallout 4 is very demanding and no matter what video card you have, you will suffer fps drops in the city and in certain other areas, especially if you have texture / graphic mods.

On my first play through I did exactly what you did; I downloaded every single texture mod out there : Grafix, Fallout 4 Texture Optimizer, Fallout 4 seasons, vivid fallout4, fallout texture overhaul, grassland, vivid weathers, WET, FlaconOil, Water Enhanced, etc, etc, etc ..... and I was suffering fps drops, sometimes even 15 ... I decided to go nuke and reinstall the whole thing again and this time, I did not install any texture but I tweaked my video game configuration : 2560x1440, AA ( Anti-Aliasing filter ) set to OFF and god rays set to low and everything else in Ultra ... believe it or not, my game graphics looks awesome and I am having 60 fps almost all the time. Still I have fps drops in the city and in certain areas but not inside buildings ... and .... I added WOTC ( War of the Commonwealth ) to my mod list and I have this mod set to Weekend Warrior but spawns set above the default ... this mod is coming to challenge your rig because you will have a lot of NPC's spawning everywhere.

Nvidia suggest to have the AA filter set to ON but for your information, the AA filter soften your graphics and that is why players are downloading a lot of texture / graphic mods to compensate and those mods are the cause of fps drops because they apply globally to every single corner of the map and not even with the best video card, you would be able to avoid fps drops.

For your information and for example, the Nikon camera D810, does not have an AA filter and this camera has 36 mega pixels in the sensor and that is why photos taken with this camera, are very sharp and super crispy in details. I am a photographer and I speak based on true information and experience after more than 15 years taking pictures.

The same principle apply to video cards. Do yourself a favor, get rid of all your texture mods and set your game ( options ) video as I did and you will see the difference in performance. It did work for me and I think it will work for you since between your video card and mine, there is not much difference but yours is better which will help you to play smoothly and much better with the settings I do recommend, otherwise, I do not know what else can you do.

With the help of the WOTC's author, I placed this mod in the right load order and since then ( more than a week ago ) I have not had any CTD at all. My game is running preciously and again, I am having fps drops but only in certain areas which are being known as heavy areas for any video card ( city and certain more areas ).

I am also playing Skyrim Special Edition with the same video settings and my fps are always, and I mean always, 60. Skyrim is not that demanding as Fallout 4 though, so there is a difference but again, my fps in that game are steady 60 all the time. Regarding Fallout 4, I can say that 85% of the time, my fps are 60 and if not, still I am not getting any stuttering when fps drops to 35, 40, 45, 50 or 55, still my game is smooth which is what I really wanted and avoid CTD's at all costs.

Happy gaming.

I would like to add that from immersive game standpoint, I prefer not to have vivid weathers or true storms because I found more immersive to have a storm that I cannot turn off rather than have a better one that I am able to turn it off. When I had Vivid weathers and True Storms, I was constantly turning those storms off so I was cheating my own game practically so I decided not to have those mods and let Fallout 4 to give me any storm which I cannot turn off because is part of the game, so which one do you think is more immersive? For me, the one that is coming with the game since no matter what, you have to play till it disappear by itself.

Last but not the least, some of my mods are : Live Dismemberment, Enhanced Blood Textures, Gore Overhaul, Improved map with visible roads, pool HD tables, mega explosions, fallout 4 enhanced color correction and customizable targeting HUD. I do not have any "per se" texture mod like Grafix, etc. Do not get me wrong, those texture mods are awesome and I appreciate what the authors of those mods did, but in my case, I prefer not to have them and play my game as smooth and free of CTD's as I can and I was able to achieve my goal by doing what I did.

Hey Sopmac45!

thx for your reply and your suggestions. and i am pretty shure that your solutions will solve the fps drops. but a clean re-install would be the very very last solution.

the thing is that i do not get what actually causes the performance drops. as i said i monitored my hardware while attending fps intensive spots (maxed out settlements, downtown etc.).

but on all hardware compnents i had plenty of headroom, and none was limiting, so there must be another problem besides my mods and grafic enhances.

i also think that we have a little different taste in what we think looks great ;-) i know how fallout looks unmodded in wqhd, settings ultra. the problem in my eyes isn´t the sharpness but the overall lack of quality textures in vanilla game. some are ok, but some are just a joke (in an otherwise amazing game) and yeah i know... grafic isn´t everything, but in my case it is a big aspect in my overall gameplay experience.

so to make a long story short: reinstall ist my last option if i cannot manage to fix the issue otherwise. it has a couple of more reasons besides my needs to play in maxed out grafics :-D (like rare playtime, risk of loosing my safes) By the way, when i compare my fallout 4 to some others it´s not that heavy modded. and there are (at least if i believe what some people are writing) less powerful setups that can run modded fallout 4 on stable fps and at least do not drop below 35-40 fps (wich would be totally ok for me)

so if there are any other suggestions, tips and tricks, they are highly appreciated. if you need infos on specs, mods, ini config, just ask.

best

kammi

I would like to add that from immersive game standpoint, I prefer not to have vivid weathers or true storms because I found more immersive to have a storm that I cannot turn off rather than have a better one that I am able to turn it off. When I had Vivid weathers and True Storms, I was constantly turning those storms off so I was cheating my own game practically so I decided not to have those mods and let Fallout 4 to give me any storm which I cannot turn off because is part of the game, so which one do you think is more immersive? For me, the one that is coming with the game since no matter what, you have to play till it disappear by itself.

100% agree on this, though. I dont use any of them. i think i tried true storms and another one (NAC?) ... deleted both and stick to vanilla.

Kammi,

I hope that you find the proper solution for the problem you are facing and I am also like you in the way that, I love excellent graphics and textures but unfortunately, using a lot of texture / graphic mods in fallout 4 did not cut it for me. I would love this game to looks like The Witcher, which has ( out of the box ) the best graphics out there.

Also, I agree with you that reinstalling the whole thing again is a pain in the butt. I am kind of new to playing in PC ( started less than a year ago ) and modding so I had to reinstall this game and Skyrim, several times by mistakes that I made in the beginning. Now, finally, I found a good balance between acceptable graphics and performance.

I hope that next game from Bethesda, has much better graphics than these two so we would not have to worry about enhance it via modding which on one side, fix what we want but on the other side, might be the cause for CTD's and poor performance.

Cheers

Hey,

yeah i hope so, too. What i can say, after a further testing. Its not the custom textures. disabling them had no fps gain or did reducing the drops. Its not the ENB either. Deactivating it gains about 3-5 FPS overall in some area but didn´t do anything to the heavy drops below 30FPS or sometimes 20FPS, maybe messed up ini, i dont know... sooo long story short: fallout 4 downloading again right now. didn´t know what else to do. It´s not that the whole reinstalling, modding, tweaking is a pain in the ass for me. it´s more out of time reasons that i was trying to avoid it. it´s even kinda fun modding and optimising all that stuff. And i will not quit using my 4k textures/enb/workshop mods ;-), but this time i will first have a clean install and have a look how it runs and then add mod after mod, tweak after tweak to see what is possible and where the fps went. let´s see where this will lead me to :-)

but overall nothing explains my initial problem why my hardware still had enough headroom while having low fps. so there must be something else. and if somebody knows anything concerning this i am still interested in finding solutions for the future.

best, kammi

Well, just had a quick jump into the game yesterday night, when the download finished. since i have some stuff and work to do, i am not sure if i will manage to get some further hands on today. First impression is very disappointing though.

- Clean Vanilla Game install

- No Mods

- No Tweaks

- Maxed out vanilla graphic

- Played in WQHD

Haven´t installed an fps counter/monitor on my first hands on but the impression is like nothing has changed. drops to the 20ies in sancuary/heavy built area and drops in vanilla downtown (no settlements). im kinda frustrated. this seems to be a bad joke. but i will start further testing/monitoring when i can spare some time :-/

greetz

Sorry to hear that ... don't know what to say but it is not normal that in Sanctuary you are having such low fps, it should not be like that .... sorry for the question but did you deactivate all mods and deleted them from your hard drive before installing the game ?

cheers