3rd-person Action Game Movement Animations

antirobot

Hello. I’ve been experimenting with adding new default movement animations (no weapon out, not aiming, etc.) to Skyrim in the 3rd-person view. My goal is to make the view and animations function similarly to how many 3rd-person games such as Mass Effect do.

I’ve been able to import the mt_walkforward and mt_runforward animations into max 2012, rotate the direction of the animation (using the NPC_COM bone, I think), and export them back out and change the animation name in nifscope to the other mt_ directional animations (walkforwardleft, walkleft, etc.). Because the camera is unlocked in Skyrim, the resulting directional movement works as expected, just like in Mass Effect. The character essentially always walks the direction of the left stick or WASD input instead of strafing or walking backwards.

However, I’m having problems with errors in the animations themselves. The sheathed weapon usually sticks through the character model and there are odd problems like the neck being collapsed into the body and the hand being in the wrong position. I suspect this is primarily because I am very inexperienced with the animation process and with 3ds Max, but it sounds like there are a lot of problems in general getting animations into the game without any glitchyness. Nevertheless, I’m sure these glitches are caused by something I’m doing wrong.

I’m curious as to whether anyone is working on a similar mod or has suggestions that might help me make better forward progress with this project. If I’m simply doing something wrong in the conversion process but getting partially desired results, it seems like someone with some actual know-how could do this in a snap. Thanks for reading. Any feedback is appreciated.

I like that idea very much. I hope someone can help you out there.

But i also got a little idea to improve this. You could make (if possible) the head of the playermodel move in the direction where the mouse looks, so if you move the mouse up, the head looks up as well, same for looking down, and to the side. Many people requested this before and i think this would fit perfectly in this mod. :wink:

I agree. I thought about that, but it might be difficult to constrain the head movement when the rest of the motion is completely free of the camera. You wouldn't want your head swiveling around Exorcist-style as you walked the other direction. In Oblivion I think the mod you are talking about was called "Now Look Here You" or something similar, and it looked great.

Yes, thats where i got the idea from.

Maybe you can lock the head direction somehow, so only a maximum of 70-90 degrees to the side and 30-40 degrees up and down are possible to prevent it from beeing free movable? I dont have experience of modding stuff like this at all, its just a thought.