Skyrim Freezing Randomly

Christoph117

That type of message occurs when you remove a mod that you were previously using, and it has placed things into the save. There is also the possibility that updating to a new version of a mod which no longer has that type defined is causing that. That error normally occurs during initialization when the save is first loaded by Skryim, and should not be repeating over and over. It's actually a good idea to check the papyrus logs after removing any mods, to see if there are scripts or types in the save that cannot be resolved at startup. I start new games regularly due to problems caused by uninstalled/upgraded mods. The game is much more stable when your save exactly matches your current mod configuration. This does not apply to simple texture replacers, or weapons/armor mods of course, but any mod that adds scripts or introduces new types to the save. Edited by blitzen

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general, you can't. This is one of the problems with using Skyrim mods. If you can determine which mod that was coming from, you could check to see if there are any special uninstallation instructions where you use console commands to stop the scripts before uninstalling. In this situation, you would have to reinstall the mod, then follow uninstall steps, if any even exist. Adding a mod with scripts to Skyrim is risky, since the scripts will go into the save. Skyrim starts to have issues over time if you install and uninstall mods while continuing to use the same character. I have found that it makes sense to start new characters regularly, due to older character saves referencing scripts and types from mods that are no longer installed. Even upgrading a mod sometimes causes similar errors, if the author has made changes that drop scripts that were present in previous versions. It's a little hard to tell exactly what's happening for this specific error, since there isn't anything logged that identities a script, but it may be that a script is referencing that missing type. Edited by blitzen

My game freezes only when I enter a walled city. Everywhere else is fine. I don't have any mods that really affect the cities that don't effect everywhere else. It's kind of odd that it's that specific.

Man, I'd hate to have to start all over.

Edited by Trinsic75

Typically when I enter a walled city. Riften, Solitude, Whiterun, etc. Dungeons are fine, small towns are fine. But if I go into a city I might get a few seconds of action and then freeze...or it simply doesn't load up at all and I'm stuck on the loading screen. Edited by Trinsic75

When you say reinstalled, did you actually completely remove skyrim, not just the steam DLC but everything that process leaves behind, including savegames, mods, etc?

Did you start from the beginning with no mods and a new game/character? If not you are just recreating the same environment where your troubles began, and you would naturally see the same issues.