Skyrim Stability Issues

SilentAegis

I used the Papyrus System GUI which detected about 20 Unattached Instances and 6 Active Threads. It doesn't sound like a lot to me, but perhaps it is or perhaps those things are that detrimental. I'm going to follow some GamerPoets videos and start reinstalling everything. SKSE, the Memory Patch, Crash Fixes, all of it.

Also, would Skyrim.esm be refreshed if I reinstalled the game? I think I accidentally cleaned that ESM. I remember cleaning the masterfiles and I cannot recall if I cleaned that file or if I didn't.

I also recently installed a plugin to allow me to load the game without having to go to new game first. Maybe that's making me freeze for some reason.

Yes Skyrim.ESM would be restored to its original state. You need to find out for sure if you touched it because you ARE NOT supposed to do anything to it, if you did clean it I think your save is toast.

In my experience you tear it down until it works again and then you build it back up. Try to remember when it was working ok. and what you did or installed after that to start giving you troubles. With Sky it could be one of about 10000 things that go wrong. Remember that your load order and merged and bashed patches help to solve many problems when implemented correctly. Trust loot to an extent and then check in x-edit to see where you have more conflicts and adjust your load order. ;Remember to change something and then test on a new char. then change some more things and test again. and test some more. This is the reason it is a bad idea to change anything during a play-through. Don't worry cause I am guilty of doing the same thing. Constantly pushing to see if I can still squeeze in one or two more mods. It is an addiction. Good luck.

Yup, I had the same idea. I decided to completely reinstall the game and then exhaust the S.T.E.P Guide. Everything's been reinstalled, SKSE, my ENB, CrashFixes, the Skyrim Memory Patch, everything. Dawnguard, Dragonborn, and Hearthfire have been cleaned as well. I'll be trying to play the game for an hour.

I used the Papyrus System GUI which detected about 20 Unattached Instances and 6 Active Threads. It doesn't sound like a lot to me, but perhaps it is or perhaps those things are that detrimental. I'm going to follow some GamerPoets videos and start reinstalling everything. SKSE, the Memory Patch, Crash Fixes, all of it.

Also, would Skyrim.esm be refreshed if I reinstalled the game? I think I accidentally cleaned that ESM. I remember cleaning the masterfiles and I cannot recall if I cleaned that file or if I didn't.

I also recently installed a plugin to allow me to load the game without having to go to new game first. Maybe that's making me freeze for some reason.

Yes Skyrim.ESM would be restored to its original state. You need to find out for sure if you touched it because you ARE NOT supposed to do anything to it, if you did clean it I think your save is toast.

My save isn't toast if the game's been reinstalled, though right? And I can still load the save just fine and play for at least 20 minutes. If there was an issue with Skyrim.esm, I shouldn't be able to load it at all, right? Since that's the game itself.

Froze 32 minutes in. I've uninstalled a bunch of texture mods that were apparently supposed to improve stability. I've also uninstalled an animated menu replacer. I don't see why this would cause freezes, but I installed this right around the time I first noticed having this problem.

I also checked the Papyrus Log which had the words "EmptySpell" all over. EmptySpell is a power mod created by a korean user on Youtube. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to playtest his mods extensively. He has a weapon mod, for example, that causes extremely low framerates when smithing.

I didn't use this power too much until I did this modded dungeon mod a few days ago where it was beginning to become necessary. I'll get rid of it.

I've also installed CTD and Memory Patch ENBoost.

Trying again.

Edited by SilentAegis

It makes sense that EmptySpell could've been contributing to the problem since that modder, I don't think he playtested his mods too well. He has a weapon mod, while well designed, causes an extreme framerate drop when smithing.

Anyway, I started up the game again and this time, I decided to let it run once more. I left the game running for well over an hour and came back to find it still running. Then I zoned into High Hrothgar, still no freeze or crash. Spoke to an NPC, came out into Skyrim without any problems. Then I used the Flying Spell power from the flying mod and attempted to fly all the way to Castle Volkihar from the height of High Hrothgar. This is where the game crashed. Though, I kind of expected it to.

I left it continuously run for a long while and flying at a great height seems to cause issues in the game.

I have a theory. It seems if I make my character simply stand there, the game will run for a long while just fine. It's as if the game is having difficulty continuously loading new zones and the things in the direction of where my character is traveling. This makes me think of uGridstoLoad, but I absolutely refuse to touch that. I have been warned many times to never touch that value.

I proceeded to try to play again when I had another idea. Instead of potentially wasting another hour, I'll revert back all the way to the save where I first encountered the issue. Perhaps it'll be easier to fix there and all this tinkering with all these other saves may only be making it worse. I also used save cleaners multiple times during the troubleshooting process which you all have told me are very likely only making it worse. Reverting back seems like a good idea.

I'll lose progress in one extremely long quest, I'll have to completely redo one shorter one, and I'll have to redo a huge dungeon, but if it means even a stable-ish Skyrim, I'll gladly make that trade. This save I'm reverting to will also be before I even activated EmptySpell. Fingers crossed. Like hell I'm giving up.

I'm not sure if this shows progress or not, but here's the report:

The game, instead of freezing, it simply crashed about 53 minutes into playing. I'm not sure if that was a random CTD ( since that sort of thing can happen on a heavily modded "oldrim" ) or if it was caused by an actual problem. Before all of this, I could play the game for quite a few days without any problem, randomly experience a crash, but when I'd play the game again, it'd run just fine.

The stutters have decreased by a noticeable amount, no doubt about that. And this was all before I cleaned the save with Fallrim.

Tomrrow, I'll be attempting to trim my mod order. Obviously, I won't uninstall anything heavily scripted or crucial to the game, but I can think of a few insignificant mods that I should get rid of.

Try to narrow it down if you can to doing a certain thing or in a specific spot. Enter and leave load doors, do the flying the same way in the same direction every time to see if it an area or seemingly random. It does sound like a conflict somewhere to me. Adjusting load order followed by running the bashed patch help me sometimes. The strangest things happen some times. The game will load and run fine one day and then won't load or will crash the next without making any changes! Go figure. :dry:

Played the game again for another hour. I'll be marking this post as Solved since I believe I can take over from here. Thank you all for your help. Hopefully, with a little time and care, I can start fully enjoying Skyrim once again.

I read that generally having a lot of saves ( not to be confused with a high save number ) can bring instability to the game. I have over 5000. :P

Time to trim that.