So is free modding going to die?

LordTonyZ

Modding isn't going to die but Bethesda is not making things easier (again). Our freedom to use game assets for mods will become increasingly restricted.

Right now they probably won't like it if you bypass the cashshop by adding CC stuff in a mod without owning the files being a requirement for users. With big chunks of DLC that is to be expected but with an increasing amount of armor and weapons in the shop the line is becoming more obscure. A potential field day for their legal department.

Looking at long term effects of these cash shops it becomes much worse: if they do make a profit you can expect thinned out content at launch of future games, to promote people spicing their game up by making extra purchases (just like every other game with a cash shop does).

Also a free database like the nexus with player generated content would be detrimental to cash shop profits. Personally I don't have much faith in Bethesda's overall strategies and decision making anymore. Dumbing down, spreading out and milking every route to higher revenues. /sad

Edited by dikr

Hmm - maybe this is out of context, maybe it is not. But I first dicovered modding - or mods to put it more precise- when playing Silent Hunter III. That game was released by Ubisoft back in 2005. I remember DLing a massive 1 Gb! of - mainly- graphic mods for this terrific game. Bethsofts were not the first - nor will they be the last. No matter how much CC stuff they put up :)

My first modding experience was with Half-Life and the level editor WorldCraft (1998).

Those were the days.

http://www.half-life.deltauk.net/JPG/WorldCraft/WC3.3_Preview/WC_Main.jpg

They should release a mod kit/level editor with each game.

Wished they had released one for the Mass Effect series. Fracking around with Texmod and ME3explorer was always a bit pain in the behind.

We've come a long way. Just look a the amazing butt physics with the clip from Fkemman11. And now we got futuristic shizzle.

Just walk around with some VR/AR glasses and put your city in the game. Maybe in a couple of years.

• 3 weeks later...

I get the feeling that Bethesda is gambling their future on console players, and is shifting away from PC players, who's numbers are declining. This is a corporate decision made by accountants and business majors. It happens to every company when they get too big. Time to start buying from other developers.

I get the feeling that Bethesda is gambling their future on console players, and is shifting away from PC players, who's numbers are declining. This is a corporate decision made by accountants and business majors. It happens to every company when they get too big. Time to start buying from other developers.

Yeah. It seems a divorce based on irreconcilable differences between pc gamers and Beth/Zen is almost inevitable at this point. To bad for them I say as their ideas seemed to be getting staler with each game. Not even a plethora of excellent mods could make FO4 more palatable for some people this time around. In the future here there should still be a healthy, vibrant community actively modding their favorite games- they just probably won't be new Beth games.