How to place dead NPCs in Creation Kit?

Sky999

I've made a cave where I'm trying to place a Vigilant of Stendarr who's dead and I want to be able to place him in certain pose/position.

How do I go about doing this? I've clicked 'Starts dead' in the edit section of him, but I can't figure out how to alter his body in the CK, he just stays in the default rigid standing up position? :confused:

I know I can click on him, then run the havoc sim and see the body go all 'floppy' but I still can't alter individual limbs?

Edited by Sky999

I don't think you can actually place the in a particular pose.

To get them to lay down and die, drag them into the scene and press the Havok Settle button and they will collapse in a heap. Lift them up high and then press the Havok Settle to have a laugh. :biggrin:

Once the are a position that you're happy with, turn off Havok settle and move them to a position you want.

It should be noted that any weapons they are carrying can fall off their body.

You can move them, albeit a very little bit. Once you check the box for "starts dead", make sure the NPC is highlighted in the editor. Toggle the Havok Sim, and let them fall. Once they're down, hold alt then click and drag the individual body parts (arms, legs, head, etc..) to move them slightly. Almost as if you were in the game, and moving the NPCs yourself via the use key. It's hard to do, and they won't always go the way you want them to, but it works.

You could also try placing obstacles for the dead body to land on, get them in position that way, disable the havok sim and remove the obstacles. All in all, it's a pain. Haha. Especially if you have them fall into water, and you want their bodies to be floating by the time you enter the room.

• 1 year later...

where is this so called "Starts Dead" tickbox I am trying to place dead bodies and there is no such tickbox to be found anywhere on the actor menu in the CK??????

Drag the actor in the worldspace/cell editor; once you double-click on it you'll see options like initially disabled, starts dead etc.

• 1 year later...

If you look at the toolbar on the top there is a button with a ball bouncing with HK on it. That means Havok which is the physics engine Skyrim runs off of. If you press this button, the dead body will fall to the ground dead. Dont know if this helps, but good luck.

• 10 months later...

Trying to make a skeleton sit on a ledge, dead and harmless... and it is really hard! Also trying a similar thing with a dragon having crashed through a wall, breaking it. It is REALLY difficult to get them into a good position! Try to make a skeleton sit leaned towards a wall! I am still having extreme issues with this!

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to make a skeleton sit on a ledge, dead and harmless... and it is really hard! Also trying a similar thing with a dragon having crashed through a wall, breaking it. It is REALLY difficult to get them into a good position! Try to make a skeleton sit leaned towards a wall! I am still having extreme issues with this!

I am trying to make a skeleton sit leaned on a wall as well. So difficult. Using the Alt Left click on the head made it easier though.