New modder for fallout 4 - invisible mesh (xeno-deathclaw)

WhittzModz

greetings!

so far an invisible XENOMORPH DEATHCLAW!!

I've modded games in the past and trying to get back up to speed since fallout modding seems to be fairly interesting. I've created a nif file that imports into nifskope as well as outfit studio just fine. shows my mesh with texture.

however! loading it into the game the deathclaw becomes invisible and you just hear him walking around.

I've modified the bgsm file to point to the right textures. kept the scale to approximately the same. kept all of the same node settings in the nif file.

just hoping for some feedback and assistance, I've researched some forums with no true fixes that have worked for me.

Edited by jwhittz2020

Did you do the appropriate fixes in the creation kit too?

ah, I suppose that may be an issue. I haven't even downloaded the creationkit, yet alone know that allows fixes! good place to start, thank you

I have no knowledge of how to make mods but I send you my best wishes as I REALLY hope this mod idea becomes reality!

well, so far so good, skeleton will need remapped a little and I'll add the creepy tongue once I've got the basics down!

later one I'd like to either do a standalone mod or a dogmeat replacer! ....xenomeat....

Really hard to guess. Can be many different reasons...Some small mistake in the nif file, some wrong link can lead to unpreddicted effects in game.

Another thing is to check how it looks in the CK. Some settings like armor or skin can be incompatible with the model and can make it invisible.

Good luck with this! I love Alien and would be happy to meet one in FO4.

ok! so slight update...

Found that the biggest issue I had was that my model was not weighted to work with the skeleton. however, I'm now getting a distorted model because I can't get all the vertexes covered in outfit studio weight painting. Gives an error before exporting, supposedly shows a mask of whats wrong, but can't see it and still can't figure out what I haven't covered.

Really hard to guess. Can be many different reasons...Some small mistake in the nif file, some wrong link can lead to unpreddicted effects in game.

Another thing is to check how it looks in the CK. Some settings like armor or skin can be incompatible with the model and can make it invisible.

Good luck with this! I love Alien and would be happy to meet one in FO4.

CK just shows the parts of the mesh I didn't mess with "eyes, tongue" other than that it was invisible.

so far

- all of the linking was proper and tested textures/materials with the original deathclaw meshes.

- new mesh was imported into the nif going by all the semi-recent tutorials. keeping all the ninodes intact with

skin settings and all in the right BBSubindex folders

-double checked my bounding spaces.

thanks for the ideas, I'll get it soon enough!

if anyone has any input or able to assist that'd be great!

ps...I did try to also remodel cats so there would be mini xenos.. still invisible for now

Edited by jwhittz2020

I find that texture compression can have a major influence on whether a model appears correctly or not (or even crashes the game), unfortunately I haven't seen much consistency with reports on which formats to use, nor with just experimenting. The game, frequently, just randomly decides to let something work.

well the game mainly loads texture through looking at material paths , you can use outfit studio to direct them to your custom material to show up in game,

make sure to properly check the paths though as wrong paths may end up having pink texture

anyway saw your mod in nexus and it looks cool but was looking forward for a playable type version

Edited by Dipanjanc33