loading .ess files

First, ess files (save games) are not mods (mods are .esm files) and go in an entirely different place. As Lfact says , On an XP system they go in C:\Documents and Settings\user name\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves. This is where the game looks for saved games - yours as well as any that you add from others.

User name is the name that was assigned for your account when it was set up on the PC.

Second, to use a saved game you MUST have every mod used by that mod in the original game where the save was made. Plus, if they had Shivering Isles or OBSE (Oblivion Script Extender) in their original game you must have them also. Usually the person who made the original save will tell you what mods are needed for the save.

Third, you need to pay attention to the load order of the mods to get the save to look like the original. Then, some people photoshop their pics to make them look better.

Hope this helps

• 4 years later...
Unless Microsoft has changed it since Vista/Win 7 it will be 'Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves'. Edited by Striker879