Very weird issues with the game on GTX 1080/7700. Loud noise/shutdowns

fftfan

I believe I have found a solution by setting an FPS limit of 60 in nVidia Inspector.

I'd go ahead and delete this topic but AFAIK we can't?

Short version: Can these sort of occurrences lead to actual damage to my components? How can I run & save benchmarks so I can record and go over exactly what was happening as the loud noise + shutdown occurred? I don't know if this will always happen but it happened once and I want to be sure I'm not in danger of destroying my PC.

Hi I've been using current PC for about a month now and I just tried installing an old game on my new PC because I just wanted to see if it'd look any different on my new PC which is a lot stronger than my old one. I used to play TES IV Oblivion on my old PC and was just trying it last night on my new PC.

Old specs: GT 330m, i5-480m 2.67Ghz, 8GB ddr3 700mhz, 600GB HDD(Pre-SATA)
New specs: MSI GTX 1080, i7-7700, 8GB DDR4 3200mhz, 500GB 850 EVO

But when ingame I get a loud noise like maybe fans are on max and it made my PC restart after a few minutes just simply standing in the cell at the very beginning. I am only trying New Game, I don't care about continuing with my old saves since it's been years. I'd like to benchmark my system and save the results since I'm concerned if the shutdown could have been due to overheating and stuff. It even happens when I turned the settings way down & use 800x600, there are no apparent differences in running 4K or anything all the way down to 800x600. I believe my system should be okay since I can run Fallout 4 on 4K maximum settings w/ HD DLC/200+ mods and still can get like 40fps average so it is producing results that are consistent with what a 1080 w/ i7-7700 should be getting. It still runs if I throw in an ENB on top of it, I wouldn't say the performance is great but the game ran and there was no hard crashes shutting my computer off. GTA V more or less getting perfect 60fps with everything maxed on 4K, if there are any drops I haven't noticed them after playing half the story. Just saying since I don't think my components are all defective

I've tried stuff like MSI Afterburner but as soon as I alt-tab out the fans/noise stop and temp appears normal. I do not get any major noise or shutdowns when playing new games on 4K like Fallout 4, GTAV, Skyrim, Dark Souls 3. I am not sure if the noise is from the fans because system stays pretty quiet on the newer games. There are random "clicks" but I think it's the fans stopping, they probably are running on a lower % and it can happen also shortly after exiting a game. They appear to being working great for everything else I play.

I would like to record results of my gaming session to see if there's anything weird like GPU/CPU temp going really high before shutdown or power usage going really high. Also I can't find any option to try running the game on integrated graphics. That was what I was thinking of trying next since Oblivion is an 11 year old game maybe the iGPU would work but no option in the menu for Intel HD Graphics 630.

I want to try XP compatibility mode since I read that being suggested for Oblivion on Windows 10 but I'm hesitant until I know why this stuff is happening. I don't want to damage my components. I am not running any mods other than CCC & OCO2 just the official patches and DLC. I just want to go see in-game first & customize my character on a new game so I didn't install stuff yet. I had a bit of stuff before but I was getting CTDs so I just figured let's just turn off everything but the official stuff and appearance stuff

Edited by fftfan

I believe I have found a solution by setting an FPS limit of 60 in nVidia Inspector.

I just set a global limit in it to 60fps(why not since my display is 60hz?). Noise is gone in game so far and utilization values are normal. I was seriously wondering why Oblivion caused 100% utilization when even Fallout 4 typically doesn't.

I guess there are issues caused by super high FPS since 2006 hardware is a lot weaker. Didn't figure this would be necessary since Skyrim & Fallout automatically limit FPS to 60.

Back when it was released Oblivion was the benchmark for bringing the latest and greatest hardware of the day to it's knees. In fact Oblivion enjoyed a long tenure as a benchmark, and only fell out of favour because of it's age, not because later generations of hardware could run it with ease. Doesn't surprise me that it didn't come with a FPS throttle.

Back when it was released Oblivion was the benchmark for bringing the latest and greatest hardware of the day to it's knees. In fact Oblivion enjoyed a long tenure as a benchmark, and only fell out of favour because of it's age, not because later generations of hardware could run it with ease. Doesn't surprise me that it didn't come with a FPS throttle.

I guess that is true. It is quite shocking to see what used to be considered "good" specs back then. Some people talked about running SLI, I can only imagine how unstable the game must have been when using 2 graphics cards.

An alternative to using Nvidia Inspector is to simply enable vsync in Oblivion's setup program (oblivionlauncher.exe). It accomplishes the same thing by limiting FPS to your monitor's refresh rate. Nvidia cards/drivers including your 1080 also have a nifty "Adaptive" setting for vsync, where this FPS limiting is done only when necessary.

Edited by TheMastersSon