ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Companion dialogue

kitcat81

Hey all, need some community help. Ran into a unsolvable problem.

Using some tutorials and Traider Rylee dialogue I have created a simple companion dialogue with 4 choices. Then I decided to create a companion using the same pattern. The dialog worked just fine with a usual npc.

The problem is that my companion is a vehicle. So instead of "talk" activation it has "ride" activation. The "ride" activation is created by some special keyword (HasPassengerMounts).

The ride activation prevents the dialogue from firing. Removing the keyword from the actor is efficient only in the CK, but then the actor can't be riden. Dinamically adding or removing the keyword does nothing. Blocking activation from the script does not help either.

The weird thing is that if I use "SetPlayerTeammate" command on the npc, the generic companion "command" dialogue does work. I can`t figure out how it works and can`t find any quest that is responsible for this dialogue. Might be hard coded, but just a last resort I decided to ask, maybe someone knows the secret.

Oh... those companions who are the vehicles...

I'm thinking maybe you separate RIDE and TALK activation? This way they will not interfere. So your companion is Actor, TALK activation should be available for him by default. What you can do is create a perk with a new activation entry point, lets name it RIDE. What exactly RIDE option does is defined in that perk papyrus field. And in-game it looks like two options are provided at the same time:

THOMAS-THE-TANK-ENGINE E)Talk R) Ride

This is just the way i would approach it, don't know the whole thing in your design.

Edited by werr92

Hey Werr, thank you very much for the advice and trying to help. I was thinking about this too. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. There is no special script function to start a dialogue. The essential keyword somehow makes the game create a different type of actor and it totally replaces the dialogue label with the ride label. The actor can't be changed dinamically. I can remove the keyword in the CK and spawn a usual actor who is available for dialogues, but there is no way to ride the actor even with a script. He just can`t be riden and scripted mounting fails.

I`m going now to try and use the hard coded teammate dialogue options. Though it`s limited in many ways, but better than nothing.

Edited by kitcat81

You can add/remove keywords via script.

I'm not terribly sure what you're trying to do, but the entry point idea is good. Put the whole riding scripting in the entry point's fragment.

Or even, maybe, create a dialog option that does it after Talk.

There's also ways to sidestep the use of keywords for ridability completely, via script.

Anywho, maybe I'm misunderstanding. Not sure I get the 'overall' intention

You can add/remove keywords via script.

I'm not terribly sure what you're trying to do, but the entry point idea is good. Put the whole riding scripting in the entry point's fragment.

Or even, maybe, create a dialog option that does it after Talk.

There's also ways to sidestep the use of keywords for ridability completely, via script.

Anywho, maybe I'm misunderstanding. Not sure I get the 'overall' intention

Hi Blah, great thanks for your input, I will look for the mod. The problem is that adding and removing the keyword dinamically(using a script) does not change anything. Seems like the game bakes the "mountable" setting in the moment of spawning. And the only dialogue that seems to work for a mountable actor is the one added by SetPlayerTeammate function. So I used it to add a few generic companion options. But I guess to create a real quest, I`d need to spawn 2 different actors.

And you've got all your race dialogue settings settled?

You can skip the need for the keywords entirely, scripting in move to node (as an example) and the control of the player.

I do know workshop crafting a companion'ish thing or just a dialogue'd npc will break all sorts of stuff with it, so if you're trying that, there are other ways.

Workshopobjects vs workshopnpcs vs companions scripts. Etc.

Depending on what it is (whether interesting enough to hold my attention or not, heh, being honest...I like silly ridable more than '4 teh ummersionz!!' =P ), I *might* be able to help (as little as my brain remembers anything useful these days) with this if you want to track me down on Discord.

Especially if you don't really want to broadcast your ultimate goal.