Would it be reasonably possible to make a Combined Armor(+ maybe also weapons?) ESP?

fftfan

Would it be reasonably possible to make a super Combined Armors.esp or .esm that would add a whole bunch of stuff to Armorsmith Extended's workbench under a Combined category or several by referencing mesh paths from the mods? Or maybe its own kind of crafting bench or unique Store object where the Merchant settler sells everything and makes funny comments about not accepting Bethesda Bux or credit cards, only cold hard Caps that you earned in-game? I think it'd be really cool if there was a Nexus merchant added as a Sim Settlements Commercial Plot. By using separate categories you could keep an armor/weapon mod's esp active if you want like if it has an included quest then disable the mod esp when done with it.

The whole idea being you could choose to not use the included ESPs from each mod and significantly save on the ESP limit. I'm at 242 right now and probably I'd be around 100 possibly less if I didn't use any armor or weapon mod esps although I am doubtful a Combined Weapons esp would be reasonable due to each weapon mod generally always having unique properties. Might be impossible for one plugin to hold them all! There's so much cool stuff and with settlers/companions in the game I end up installing everything I like, with some of it getting given to a companion or settlers.

Ideally it would omit armors if the files are missing or show a generic dummy icon, specifically to avoid any crashing due to missing mesh/textures. You'd hit No when it asks to overwrite files in NMM that way the dummy files only appear for armor mods you don't have. Or it could use a small B2A with an old date set so any loose files or mod-specific B2A's would take precedence. I think the B2A route would be best as you could use the combined B2A and have the combined plugin at the top of the list so everything else takes precedence; this would allow free install/uninstalls of whichever mods you wanted at any time by adding/removing the relevant mesh & texture files. Hopefully this would also keep things working great regardless of whether or not a user has the DLCs or base game only, a DLC-specific dummy icon could appear if the user doesn't have the required DLC. I imagine these as being world objects that look like the DLC posters or for non-DLC mods a Nexusmods poster, anything would be better than just CTD'ing the game. Perhaps it'd even be possible for Creation Kit's scripting or F4SE scripting to check file-sizes and hide it if character mesh file = 1KB which would be a surefire way for a script to identify mods as installed or missing. If you prefer to avoid using loose files as I have read that some users do have this preference you could simply overwrite the B2A's files by following a similar process as mods like the total game texture optimizations like PhyOP.

Maybe a Terminal/holotape could have mod information included and possibly pics(I believe it's possible as Dave's Poses has a reference holoptape with pictures). This could be useful in letting people know about cool mods they didn't know about but might like, a lot of stuff is easily missed if you don't visit Nexus frequently to check Hot Files/new files. This could possibly help increase interest in modding by making it easier to add more mods without hitting the cap and making it easier to find mods you like!

I imagine there are a lot of people who don't install new mods very often and perhaps don't visit Nexus as often due to having a steady but nearly full load order as they'd have to give something up in order to add anything new. If they have 200+ steady mods they quite like and keep installed all the time they might not be willing to lose access to a particular mod and possibly suffer save game issues due to removing mod esps.

Some issues: I don't understand how to potentially carry over Armor Workbench modifications, the stuff like color options and preferences or if it's possible as a lot include indexes of modifications tied to another modification. Or unique Receiver/Stock/Ammo/etc options for weapons. Particularly complicated mods might have to be left out. Inclusion of Power Armor probably not necessary as to my knowledge there are not that many original PA mods compared to regular armors so I'm guessing most people have 10 or less installed at once, although maybe I'm out of the loop.

I was thinking of trying to make an armor before but right now am considering trying this instead since it seems like every other day there's a cool outfit, weapon or a new Sim Settlements Addon! I'm going to have to make room in my load order and I bet others are the same.

Edited by fftfan

I am currently working on a combined armor mod for myself. May share it when it is complete.

Cool. I was also working on one for myself although not sure what to do to carry over a mod outfit's workbench modifications. For now I just picked a usable mesh file for these and live without having the usual options at the armor workbench. Would be a problem for an upload as users who download would be expecting the modifications to continue working like usual.

Were you able to solve this problem?

Edited by fftfan

I am currently working on a combined armor mod for myself. May share it when it is complete.

Cool. I was also working on one for myself although not sure what to do to carry over a mod outfit's workbench modifications. For now I just picked a usable mesh file for these and live without having the usual options at the armor workbench. Would be a problem for an upload as users who download would be expecting the modifications to continue working like usual.

Â

Were you able to solve this problem?

I'm setting everything up to work with the Armorsmith Extended workbench.

Have you tried carrying over modifications like for example the color options and enable/disable belt in this one?

TheKite's MilitiaWoman Outfit

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26025/?

Were you able to do so and does it look like it'd be feasible to do this for a lot of outfits?