Load Saved Game - Missions & Mods RESETTING: Deleting mod content, re-installing mods, starting completed quests from scratch

Kolyana

So, I had this problem surface up for me couple of days ago. After two sleepless nights I think it's fixed, for now.

(i.e., I can continue, save and load my current playthrough seemingly without any game-breaking consequences)

In my case the culprit was me getting over 255 active plugins limit (was 258 or 259 in my case). Here's what I did to fix the problem, step-by-step.

1) Located the latest savegame I could load without the game going haywire. More on that in the note at the end of the message, be sure to read it.

2) Deleted all savegames made after that point. All in all, lost about an hour of scavenging/OCDing my Sanctuary. This step might not be necessary per se, but you won't be using those saves anymore, might as well clean up some.

3) Quit the game, opened NMM. Located some plugins I could safely disable without wrecking my build even further. Reduced the number of active plugins to 255 eventually. This was the hardest part by far.

4) Quit NMM, opened the game, loaded the savegame located in step 1. Selected 'OK' when prompted with missing dependencies warning. Again, take care in what you're going to disable, game can be finicky about that (i.e., some mods you can disable without a thought, some will make your game CTD on loading when disabled).

5) Poked around a bit, crafted some minor things (yay carry weight), saved the game and quit to desktop. I use that one mod that allows saving in Survival by smoking stuff, if that makes any difference.

6) Launched the game again, loaded the savegame made in step 5. Loading went as normal as it can be. Poked around again, saved the game again, quit to desktop again.

7) Loaded the savegame made in step 6, could play/save/load as normal afterwards.

IMPORTANT: as far as I understand, the game sort of 'bakes' the expected plugins list into a savegame at the moment of its creation. This means that even if you disable any excess plugins past 255 and load the save that was made when you'd exceed the limit, THE GAME WILL THINK THAT YOU ARE STILL OVER THE LIMIT AND WILL BUG OUT ON THE NEXT LOADING EVEN IF EVERYTHING LOOKS FINE AT FIRST GLANCE! It is of utmost importance in step 1 to locate the save that was made when the plugin count was still 255 or lower!

Hope this will help at least someone.

Cheers.

Edited by allofthegoats

• 3 months later...

So, I had this problem surface up for me couple of days ago. After two sleepless nights I think it's fixed, for now.
(i.e., I can continue, save and load my current playthrough seemingly without any game-breaking consequences)
In my case the culprit was me getting over 255 active plugins limit (was 258 or 259 in my case). Here's what I did to fix the problem, step-by-step.
1) Located the latest savegame I could load without the game going haywire. More on that in the note at the end of the message, be sure to read it.
2) Deleted all savegames made after that point. All in all, lost about an hour of scavenging/OCDing my Sanctuary. This step might not be necessary per se, but you won't be using those saves anymore, might as well clean up some.
3) Quit the game, opened NMM. Located some plugins I could safely disable without wrecking my build even further. Reduced the number of active plugins to 255 eventually. This was the hardest part by far.
4) Quit NMM, opened the game, loaded the savegame located in step 1. Selected 'OK' when prompted with missing dependencies warning. Again, take care in what you're going to disable, game can be finicky about that (i.e., some mods you can disable without a thought, some will make your game CTD on loading when disabled).
5) Poked around a bit, crafted some minor things (yay carry weight), saved the game and quit to desktop. I use that one mod that allows saving in Survival by smoking stuff, if that makes any difference.
6) Launched the game again, loaded the savegame made in step 5. Loading went as normal as it can be. Poked around again, saved the game again, quit to desktop again.
7) Loaded the savegame made in step 6, could play/save/load as normal afterwards.
IMPORTANT: as far as I understand, the game sort of 'bakes' the expected plugins list into a savegame at the moment of its creation. This means that even if you disable any excess plugins past 255 and load the save that was made when you'd exceed the limit, THE GAME WILL THINK THAT YOU ARE STILL OVER THE LIMIT AND WILL BUG OUT ON THE NEXT LOADING EVEN IF EVERYTHING LOOKS FINE AT FIRST GLANCE! It is of utmost importance in step 1 to locate the save that was made when the plugin count was still 255 or lower!
Cheers.

THANK YOU BROTHER, THANK YOU

This solved my problem. KISS ME!

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers.

Well, I'll be, it worked! THANK YOU!!

• 2 months later...

Since i used this ratchet stupid launcher tool, from billabong or what ever his name is. I have the very same issue.

I have one save file where everything is in order, but the rest. EVERY MOD is fresh installing, and every preset, every structure i once build is gone. Also my mod weapons, all gone.

Same thing here and what I am going to say will be taken very bad by some. I do not have any evidence but those updates Bethesda has done recently to both games are probably the cause of all this.

It would not surprise me if thru those updates, Bethesda is adding some kind of intentional bug to both games that is causing all this. Why ? Because they do not want us anymore to continue playing those two games and they want us instead to play their upcoming new game. They need this solid and huge fan offline base to get tired of these two games due to bugs, and make us to jump to their new universe.

Since my update in Skyrim ( 2 days ago ), my game started to freeze unexpectedly and to CTD in areas I have never had a CTD before. Really ? The previous version of the game was solid and never experienced a freeze or CTD. I have not added any new mod to my load order, I have not done anything that lead me to believe it is me that is causing these problems in my game.

That is why some time ago I was wondering why Bethesda obligated us to participate in the CC update or to have the CC in our games and why they did not let us decide if we wanted or not ? Why do we have to have it and why do we have to go thru all this hassle to update our games that are supposed to run smoothly instead experiencing freeze and CTD ? Those updates, instead fixing issues, are adding issues to our games, so how come ? I have no other choice to think that they are doing this on purpose.

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same issue It seems to happen in Saugus Ironworks for me , first I crash but I usually save before entering, the game auto-saves when I enter, going back to the save before entering same result, both saves are toast everytime, haven't found a fix .

• 6 months later...

I'm having the same issue. I was so proud of myself after installing a whopping amount of mods and having zero CTDs and only one instance of blackface that I fixed instantly. I'm so put down that this is happening. I started my game, loaded it later and found I was having this issue. I spend over a week installing all of this, adding to almost 30 total hours. Please don't tell me I have to reinstall everything.

Edit: This is for all saves, by the way. Every single one.

Edited by Squeecky

a few tips that may or may not help but I thought I would point them out.

a) never install steam in (\program files(x86)\) if it already is, uninstall steam and reinstall it in its own root folder C:\steam for example. Yes this will take a little while but save you from a LOT of headaches down the road

b) downgrade fallout 4's exe with steam database and keep that version from now on. in steam set it to only update when you launch the game then only start the game with the F4SE loader. I've been using 1.120.0 for ages now without any problems. Some of the newest versions of Fallout 4 are kinda wonky with mods go here and follow this: https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/1483235412212904010/

You can also start steam in offline mode which will keep it from updating altogether.

c) Find a good load order guide (like Gambit77's) and follow it. It helps a lot.

These are just off the top of my head, hope it helps a little.

• 6 months later...