Load Saved Game - Missions & Mods RESETTING: Deleting mod content, re-installing mods, starting completed quests from scratch

Kolyana

• 1 month later...

Here is my solution: Before you start a NEW - CLEAN GAME.

1 - Turn OFF / DISABLE all mods. DLC's are not mods.

... NMM makes this very easy. I have no idea about Vortex as I simply do not use it.

2 - Play the intro until you get to the place to pick-up the Pip-boy and are ready to exit the Vault.

( Sometimes I had a different result doing after I exited from Vault -vs- just before. I think it had to do with having already entered the outer-world cell. So I just saved it / loaded just before Exiting the Vault. )

3 - Save game. ( Back up this game to a saved directory to fall back onto. Just in case. )

> TURN ON / ACTIVATE your mods.

• Make sure you used a Mod Organizer, IE: LOOT or whatever you use.
  • Make sure you are not over the MOD LIMIT count and / or close to it. Yes, this can create " issues ".
  • Make sure - Double Check you have NO mods that conflict with other mods.

Also, as I found out, a MOD that I had suddenly quit working and caused some issues in that the mods that it was related to, was updated and it was not. It worked fine, even a recent game. But I was unaware that an update to another mod created a " sudden " conflict. :tongue:

4 - Load game and play.

Hope this helps. :smile:

I do have that saved game if anyone wants to try this. It DOES HAVE all DLC's but ZERO MODS turned on. It starts just before he picks up the Pip-Boy. Also you can change anything you do not like as you Enter the Elevator.

Also go into your steam settings, and disable steam.

Also make sure that you disable steam's ability to update the game during gameplay. That can be a bad one if you're running an eariler version of the game.

make sure that you are running this mod through f4se https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/42497 it's a must have, since the updates last november.

make SURE that all of your mods that you want are active. Check either via the in-game mod manager or by checking your plugins.txt file located in C:\Users\YourNameHere\AppData\Local\Fallout4\Plugins.txt Tho, you probly won't have a folder that reads "YourNameHere" That will be whatever username you use to log into the computer when you have to put a name and password in to get the computer started.

So, I had this problem surface up for me couple of days ago. After two sleepless nights I think it's fixed, for now.
(i.e., I can continue, save and load my current playthrough seemingly without any game-breaking consequences)
In my case the culprit was me getting over 255 active plugins limit (was 258 or 259 in my case). Here's what I did to fix the problem, step-by-step.
1) Located the latest savegame I could load without the game going haywire. More on that in the note at the end of the message, be sure to read it.
2) Deleted all savegames made after that point. All in all, lost about an hour of scavenging/OCDing my Sanctuary. This step might not be necessary per se, but you won't be using those saves anymore, might as well clean up some.
3) Quit the game, opened NMM. Located some plugins I could safely disable without wrecking my build even further. Reduced the number of active plugins to 255 eventually. This was the hardest part by far.
4) Quit NMM, opened the game, loaded the savegame located in step 1. Selected 'OK' when prompted with missing dependencies warning. Again, take care in what you're going to disable, game can be finicky about that (i.e., some mods you can disable without a thought, some will make your game CTD on loading when disabled).
5) Poked around a bit, crafted some minor things (yay carry weight), saved the game and quit to desktop. I use that one mod that allows saving in Survival by smoking stuff, if that makes any difference.
6) Launched the game again, loaded the savegame made in step 5. Loading went as normal as it can be. Poked around again, saved the game again, quit to desktop again.
7) Loaded the savegame made in step 6, could play/save/load as normal afterwards.
IMPORTANT: as far as I understand, the game sort of 'bakes' the expected plugins list into a savegame at the moment of its creation. This means that even if you disable any excess plugins past 255 and load the save that was made when you'd exceed the limit, THE GAME WILL THINK THAT YOU ARE STILL OVER THE LIMIT AND WILL BUG OUT ON THE NEXT LOADING EVEN IF EVERYTHING LOOKS FINE AT FIRST GLANCE! It is of utmost importance in step 1 to locate the save that was made when the plugin count was still 255 or lower!
Hope this will help at least someone.
Cheers.

YOU SAVED ME (2 years later :D)

So, I had this problem surface up for me couple of days ago. After two sleepless nights I think it's fixed, for now.
(i.e., I can continue, save and load my current playthrough seemingly without any game-breaking consequences)
In my case the culprit was me getting over 255 active plugins limit (was 258 or 259 in my case). Here's what I did to fix the problem, step-by-step.
1) Located the latest savegame I could load without the game going haywire. More on that in the note at the end of the message, be sure to read it.
2) Deleted all savegames made after that point. All in all, lost about an hour of scavenging/OCDing my Sanctuary. This step might not be necessary per se, but you won't be using those saves anymore, might as well clean up some.
3) Quit the game, opened NMM. Located some plugins I could safely disable without wrecking my build even further. Reduced the number of active plugins to 255 eventually. This was the hardest part by far.
4) Quit NMM, opened the game, loaded the savegame located in step 1. Selected 'OK' when prompted with missing dependencies warning. Again, take care in what you're going to disable, game can be finicky about that (i.e., some mods you can disable without a thought, some will make your game CTD on loading when disabled).
5) Poked around a bit, crafted some minor things (yay carry weight), saved the game and quit to desktop. I use that one mod that allows saving in Survival by smoking stuff, if that makes any difference.
6) Launched the game again, loaded the savegame made in step 5. Loading went as normal as it can be. Poked around again, saved the game again, quit to desktop again.
7) Loaded the savegame made in step 6, could play/save/load as normal afterwards.
IMPORTANT: as far as I understand, the game sort of 'bakes' the expected plugins list into a savegame at the moment of its creation. This means that even if you disable any excess plugins past 255 and load the save that was made when you'd exceed the limit, THE GAME WILL THINK THAT YOU ARE STILL OVER THE LIMIT AND WILL BUG OUT ON THE NEXT LOADING EVEN IF EVERYTHING LOOKS FINE AT FIRST GLANCE! It is of utmost importance in step 1 to locate the save that was made when the plugin count was still 255 or lower!
Cheers.

YOU SAVED ME (2 years later :D)

YES....This saved the day. So far I'm running good again. I had decided to start a new play through anyway so It was no real loss on the game play time. I couldn't believe how much "FLUFF" I had in my mods/plugins that I had previously downloaded. I didn't loose anything of any real importance so all is good. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Cheers.

THANK YOUUUUU! EVERYTHING WORKS SMOOTH. THANK YOU SOOO MUCH! :D I only lost about an hour of play, but it's nothing:)

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers.

Thank you! I got it working

Edited by DGBC

• 5 months later...

I'm still having this issue, end of 2020.

I was in the Goodneighbor Condo, and when I load my game it puts me in the Sanctuary Cellar with some robot dogs, with all those mod popups like it's the first time, and all the quest popups about radio signal and all.

I'm using Vortex, and when I check my profile it says 317 mods installed. I read for the first time about the 255 limit ,never had any issue and I've been exceeding 255 for a while. Only installed like 6 or 7 mods today, so I might have been at 310 for a while without any issues.

I'm sure I dont want to disable 75 mods, as I'm pretty happy with my build. I read that some people are able to merge mods. How can we do that, and does it help ?

I seems like I'm able to load older saves without that issue, then I'm able to save a few times, and come back and load them without any issue, then I get a message "you cannot run, you're overcarrying" and I'm like how could that happen, I've modified my limit to 26000 a while ago, then I check in my pipboy and I'm 7179/6000 (like the CarryWeight reverted to a previous state). It seems to do this at random occurences, but when I see that message, I know I'm f*cked : I turn off Fallout 4 without saving, then I relauch the game and I know I'll have the issue with the mods and quests resseting themselves.

So yeah, I'd like to be able to merge some mods, as I don't want to remove so many mods to get down to 255. In fact, I was planning on adding more and more mods, as for me browsing mods and adding them is as exciting as playing the game itself. It's like a constant perfectionisation, I love it. Please tell me there's another way.

Also, uninstalling all mods in order to reinstall them all is a pain in the butt with Vortex, because when you select all mods and do Install (or enable), it asks you a confirmation for each one and you cannot say "okay to all" so you have to stay in front of the computer and press "ok" each 30 seconds for a few hours. I had to do it one time and I was so angry, it litteraly took several hours. I was watching some videos in a windows on the left side, and pressing "ok" every 30 seconds for each new mod in queue to be installed.

We need a way to fix this, and to exceed 255 mods if our computer can run it, that's absurd. My build was solid and I was not having any CTD, and the mods I added today were without any conflict and were simple ones that didn't modify anything serious. And I uninstalled them all ad loaded older saves, and it went good for a while , then the carryweight message, then the mods reset themselves...