Why an Orc would side with the Stormcloaks..

J_R

You speak of the Orc mages from an era long gone. The orcs are back to their tribal roots and seem to be prospering. Orcs still have a holding in the College. The librarian is an orc of good standing. Attack a stronghold and see how you get opposition of the magical nature. The orcs have positioned themselves in a very powerful place. Thae holds typically are located where most all the ores are mined (with exceptions) and are not at war with each other. They have no part in the civil unrest and can fathom this storm with little to no intervention from the outside. Gain their blood confidence and become part of a bigger picture. Listening to the mine workers and talking to the stronghold occupants gives you much, word of mouth history, on the "brutes".

You speak of the Orc mages from an era long gone. The orcs are back to their tribal roots and seem to be prospering. Orcs still have a holding in the College. The librarian is an orc of good standing. Attack a stronghold and see how you get opposition of the magical nature. The orcs have positioned themselves in a very powerful place. Thae holds typically are located where most all the ores are mined (with exceptions) and are not at war with each other. They have no part in the civil unrest and can fathom this storm with little to no intervention from the outside. Gain their blood confidence and become part of a bigger picture. Listening to the mine workers and talking to the stronghold occupants gives you much, word of mouth history, on the "brutes".

And yet, even after querying the mine workers, I have received no real answer to this question: "Why don't the Orcs have a unique racial trait? What happened to 25% magic resist?" This question has gnawed at me for an age (seems like it) or more, every time I get pwnd by a caster whilst "Berserking." Is it because the devs knew that if given a racial trait, all of Skyrim--and then Tamriel--would fall before the mighty Rage of the Orcs? Yes, with 25% mresist, the Orcs would make all of Nirn one large stronghold. This would have pleased Malacath greatly. Beth devs owe Malacath some serious blood-price!

Or, give us the option to lead the Orcs against the Forsworn and take their lands, establishing Novo-Novo-Orsinium!

Edited by sukeban

i read somewhere that someone thanked god that orcs dont ally with each other and take all tamriel! (think it was the 2920 series)

but again in the same series a whole house of peaceful witches got razed by the orc hunter parties resulting in the destruction of mournhold by dagon

Good discussion.

My old orc mage character has somewhat of a mixed identity - on one hand he wants to reclaim his orc identity in the traditional and tribal ways (he doesn't have a stronghold of his own and a large part of him craves that cultural acceptance). On the other hand, he does want something bigger and greater for both himself and his people.. currently he's climbing the ranks at the college of winterhold and mastering the magic arts. I could definitely see him uniting the strongholds and attempting to lift up the orc people later down the line, especially after the main quest and civil war, in which he has represented the orcs and made a huge impact on the land on their behalf. He would then be in the position to expect certain things from the leaders of Skyrim, and while a revolution wouldn't necessarily be prudent, at least demanding certain rights and encouraging his people to gain power would be in order. The orcs do indeed seem to be doing OK though. Self-sufficient and they control several resources. But with all the war in the air, and with the Thalmor leaning on the borders and the possibility that Ulfric might go Hitler on Skyrim after he gains the throne, the orcs need to be ready for the worst, and their annihilation would be far easier with segregated and isolated strongholds instead of at least some cohesion between the tribes.

Leading the orcs as a faction would be a great mod in the game. Having to travel to each stronghold to gain the condifence of the tribal leaders to join in and conduct open warfare. I'd love to play that out as long as we can destroy the Thalmor too :biggrin: Edited by Brandy_123

why thalmor? they dont have nothing against the orcs (they see other races as animal-like people but still) and the white-gold concordant have nothing against them to. why an orc would want to fight them?

Other then the fact that the Thalmor want to control everything. Knowing the mines the Orcs own and have built their holds on, who do you think will be next? I see the thalmor as the evil in Skyrim that festers like a wound waiting to spread its uglyness thoughout the whole at the best opportunity. I have yet to meet a thalmor "agent" who needed any of their belongings after the interaction. Its a good day in Skyrim when you can travel to their Northern stronghold and leave 1 stone short of being over encounbered, with your pack full of their previously needed gear. The Thalmor are just fun to hate.

Even their mothers don't like them. They forced them to leave the beautiful Summerset Isles and sent them to Skyrim. :wink:

Edited by Brandy_123

• 1 year later...

First, i'd like to point out that the Empire did NOT lose the Great War, though alot of people seem to get confused on that. They fought to a stalemate in which the Dominion had no forces to continue the fight, and the Empire had no infrastructure with which to supply an invasion. Orcs very much recognize the concept of compromise and temporary reprieves. Nothing in the Code of Malacath states they much continue fighting when both sides are spent. In fact, to do so would likely violate the terms of honorable combat against worthy foes, to fight against so depleted an opponent would not be in keeping with the Code.

Second, the Orcs tend to follow one of two gods. Either Malacath, or his previous alter-ego, Trinnimac, neither of which are particularly Pro-Man. Trinnimac, in fact, is very Pro Mer, and Orcs following him may even side with the Dominion.

Third... The Warp in the West was a Dragonbreak. We aren't entirely sure how it affected the pre-Daggerfall timeline, as such how Orcs are portrayed in Arena may no longer be relevant.

Fourth, regardless of whether or not the Warp in the West saved, the Empire has protected the Orcs on at least 2 occasions, whereas the Nords have continued to hunt them. You cannot, thus, use old attitudes against the Empire when those attitudes continue to be expressed by the modern Nords.

Finally... Why would a Nord join the Stormcloaks? Why would an Altmer? Or a Dunmer? Or really, any non-Nord? It's entirely subjective based on the personality of the individual. Maybe he was raised by Nords. Or is a rare Talos worshiping Orcs. Maybe he blames the Empire for not being good enough to protect Orisimer the last 3 times it's been sacked. Hell, he could just have suffered head trauma. Regardless of the reasons, it's not a particularly natural fit. The Dragonborn is a unique case, however, and i somehow suspect were it anyone else, they wouldn't ALLOW an Orc into the Stormcloaks.

I always choose for the imperials, if the empire ever has a chance against the Thalmor in the future there cannot be any loose ends that make it weaker, such as Skyrim trying to be independent and starting a war.

Thalmor abuse must be accepted but all the provinces must remain united, Stormcloaks fighting the Imperials only serves the Thalmor even more, its divide and conquer.

Besides Ulfrich killing the High King (who actually supported Ulfrich and hes beliefs in Talos religion), with the power of the Thuum nonetheless, is just unacceptable and even worse than any empire backstabbing.

As Ulfrich said himself, he killed the High King to make an example out of him, so shall Ulfrich become an example in my games.

Talos forged the Empire, only through unity and strength can the Thalmor be defeated.