Why an Orc would side with the Stormcloaks..

J_R

i play orcs (Ragna-Rok) since back in morrowind. first time i played skyrim with this char, i tended to the stormcloaks... then, while infiltrating the embassy i figured out that ulfric is a wuss... stopped proceding further. then i sided with the imperials in another playthrough after dawnguard came out, and i found that much more my taste.

and now the most epic of all: the emperors somtimes are dragonborn. as listener, i wasted the emperor, and also killed the guy giving me the contract for that one. then siding with the imperials, and becoming the legions main skyrim-axxkicker .. em... i mean, peacemaker ;) ... so now its time to go to cyrodil and ... look for promotions :D

ALL HAIL RAGNA-ROK THE FIRST!! :woot:

I think it's interesting that your character, Elder, holds so steadily to traditional orc values like honor and what not, but also breaks Orc tradition by practicing. Other than tribal wise women, pretty much every orc is a warrior (even the wise women are more alchemists than mages). Going on the belief that fights should be fought face to face and measure one belligerent's strength against that of another, magic is pretty dishonorable; you can destroy your enemy with the flick of your wrist, without having to actually fight him.

Also, speaking of orc traditions, every orc we ever met in Skyrim either lives in a stronghold or fights with the Empire. That's the way things go. If an orc decides he/ she wants to shame his tribe by leaving the stronghold (thereby departing from tradition and going against the will of Malacath), they almost always join the legion for the simple fact that that's where they find straight up fighting. I think it's interesting that Elder dislikes the politics of the Empire, but seems willing to ignore the politics of the Stormcloaks (i.e. the debate about Ulfric's tue motives). No matter which side Elder joins, the fighting will be the same.

That being said, as much of a staunch Imperial as I am, I respect your decision. I think everyone agrees that the order of the day for the fourth era is to destroy the Thalmor. In my opinion, a unified Empire is a better entity to do so than a band of racially homogeneous rebels. Honestly, now that I think about it, Ulfric and his boys would get smashed pretty hordcore by the Thalmor. Anyway, good on you for putting so much thought into your character. I think it really enhances gameplay.

An Orc simply wouldnt care enough to join either side. But if is to chose, I would say join the empire.

- Orcs values only strenght, and if the nords really need help from orcs that dont even care about Talos to change the way the war is going, than it is just to weak to be.

- Nords are also xenophobic, always saying that "Skyrim belong to the Nords", so there is no reason to help someone that will inevitably push the orcs around in the future. A weak empire that left the strongholds alone is more intereting.

- They respect strenght above all else, and so they would indeed agree with Ulfric killing the high king in combat. But the talmor dossier make it clear that Ulfric is just a puppet and that the duel was, in reality, a political maneuver to intimidate the other jarls. A true Orc whould take it by force, not by plots.

If Orc's respected strength, they'd side with Hammerfell (who kept on fighting) - certainly not the Empire who essentially surrendered (accepting the very terms being shoved down their throats which started the war) even after defeating an entire army at Red Ring..... The Empire was weak and couldn't leverage a position of strength - it's whats caused this whole bloody mess to begin with.

Nobody should confuse the Empire with being strong, they are struggling to even deal with a simple uprising in one of their (few remaining) territories. To make matters worse, they are essentially powerless to stop the Thalmor from doing whatever they want in their own territory - including letting them set up a "chop shop" at Northwatch Keep.

Edited by fraquar