ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Can't Start Game All Of A Sudden

indycurt

Was playing Fallout 4 this morning with no problems (have 800 hours in this playthrough). Saved and exited as always to eat lunch. Came back, and now the game won't start. The "preparing to launch" comes up and the box to hit "play". When I hit play, the game acts normal as if it is loading, but nothing happens. Just a black screen with the twirling circular blue cursor. Can't clear the box from my screen and end up having to shut down the computer.

Can someone help me with this? I have no idea where to even start. This has never happened before.

Thanks in advance!

First thing first. If your computer freezes to death, it could be hardware.related. So first make sure, your computer is okay. For example, if other games from the same hard-drive run smooth and fine, you may proceed.

Second: Let Steam verify your game files. FO4 is know to kill something without reason.

And then: move the last savegame to another location and test again. Its a know problem, that corrupt savegames cause startup problems.

Shara:

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate you.

Hardware is fine. I've realized now that the game is actually "not starting", but is actually taking a long time to start. I found this out because I left the room for awhile to wait and see what happened. Sure enough, when I came back 10 minutes later, the game had started. So it is horribly slow in starting. This has never happened before. I actually did do a verify with Steam, and all files verified fine. I've moved my saves to another file, but the game is still slow to load. However, sometimes it starts up as normal. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason for it.

Actually, you just brought up something that I hadn't thought of. I ran my clean up routine (PCMatic) prior to this problem. I ran a defrag that it suggested. That was before this problem cropped up. I think that my be the answer. Also, some weird message is coming up when I shut down the computer at night. But it is too quick to read before it goes away. Something about needing to shut down an "application" before turning off.

Anyway, don't waste time on me and my issue. You've been great in responding and again, I appreciate you.

Have you tried verifying the Fallout 4 game files?

Yes, that was the first thing I did. But quite honestly, I think that task is a real waste of time. Never once has doing that ever solved a problem for me. One of its side-effects is that it clears all of your computer game settings for the game which is a pain in the ass to have to go back and reset.

I actually timed the game start yesterday. It took 1:48 to start the game. Still, no reasonable explanation for it. The other weird thing is that once the game starts first time (the long start), when starting it later after quitting, it starts normally. Something is just not right, and nobody seems to know what the symptoms are caused by.

One moment here... It takes very long the first time, and then it starts normal?

Check your anti-virus software. Maybe make an exception for your game folder (and maybe mod folder if its an virtual one, and for the mod manager).

The thought here would be, that your scanner wants to verify the game files, and when its done, its okay for the rest of this session.

Hey there!

LOL Yeah, not the issue either. I have PCMatic and this game has been in the "approved" files from the beginning. Nothing has changed since this has been happening.

The mystery continues. . .