Goodbye Preston

Stronglav

I...

actually....

Kind of like Preston.

He's a nice guy.

I do question Bethesda's decision to have the faction's primary quest-giver double as a companion. I'm sure that Preston's minutemen quests would be far more tolerable if he would ever, even once in his life, talk about something other than the minutemen. Even old Paladin Brainwashed occasionally takes a break from yelling 'ad victoriam' to tell you about his social anxiety and his deceased 'friend' and the confusion he feels about being kissed by a girl. I kind of want to hear about Preston. He strikes me as the kind of guy who has a million inspirational stories about his mom, but I never get to hear them because Preston's too busy yapping about making the world a better place.

But I really don't see the whole "Bethesda NPC/Followers are just getting lazier/dumbed down." Like... have ya'll played previous Bethesda games? Their NPCs have always been, uh, quality over quantity. Remember back when Morrowind NPCs were pretty much just a search engine that spat out generic faction dialogue based on a topic of your choosing? Or how literally one Bethesda game ago (Skyrim) the majority of NPCs were the same five voices and personalities replicated over and over and over and i am so OVER with maybe 1-5 personal voice lines unless they happened to be giving a quest?

Followers in particular have come a long way since their debut in Skyrim, where they had absolutely zero interactions (outside of walking in front of your spells, thanks Farkas) and there were literally five 'different' followers who had the exact same voice, dialogue, personality... and you'd open up Creation Kit and find out that the big brawny guy with a broadsword is level 10 in two-handed because Bethesda did not even make a passing effort at making companions into meaningful combat participants.

Fallout 4's followers are fewer in number, but each one is fully unique. They all have personalities (some more than others), they all have meaningful interactions with the player and their environment. They actually left me wishing I could have more interactions, and take them with me on more quests so that I can hear what they have to say about stuff. Their combat AIs, while not perfect, are still much better than Skyrim's, and each follower has unique-lore appropriate combat styles so, for example, there's a practical difference between choosing MacCready's supporting fire over Strong's tanking. To be honest, while I'd love to see Bethesda improve followers in future games, I think they're pretty respectable as it is. Don't forget that they gave us a dozen followers to choose from in an open-world sandbox-style RPG with a 40-100hr playtime--that's hugely ambitious. So while I can think of games with better followers, none of them had anywhere near the sheer volume of content that Bethesda has to contend with. I just don't know how realistic it is to expect much better followers without also drastically changing the qualities that make Bethesda games awesome to begin with.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Press tilde, select Preston, type "disable."

Buh-bye.

:-P

I like Preston, too, and I agree FO4's companions are a bit more interesting than Skyrim's. I would also like to hear more from Preston than the Minutemen this, the Minutemen that, the Minutemen hit some raiders with a whiffle ball bat. Also, he doesn't stop pestering you about how great you are until you pretty much tell him to STFU. And I've had play-throughs where he wouldn't stop hitting on me even then.

Edited by audiodef

• 4 months later...