Redesign Launch - Stage 2 in progress

Dark0ne

I checked my Forum profile and found I've been posting in the wrong threads. Even though I posted in the other New Design threads, no admins or designers have seemed to comment on the issue of eye strains from the new design. Can I please have some comment on the plans to address this? That's all I care about.

Several supporters of the new design have commented "just decrease the page size" which would help, but it then makes it even worse to read.

Edited by Aoikani

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even with all ad-blockers off (which I use for safety to avoid malware injections through add servers)... when searching mods, only the first page ever shows. No matter how many additional items (say, over 600) were available to be displayed, only 1 page appears. I'm no premium member, so only 20 items appear per page.

Until this "feature" is fixed to enable non-premium members to browse all entries, I'm done here. Steam workshop is good enough for me!

In response to post #55812791.

morgante wrote: Even with all ad-blockers off (which I use for safety to avoid malware injections through add servers)... when searching mods, only the first page ever shows. No matter how many additional items (say, over 600) were available to be displayed, only 1 page appears. I'm no premium member, so only 20 items appear per page.

Until this "feature" is fixed to enable non-premium members to browse all entries, I'm done here. Steam workshop is good enough for me!

I fail to see how turning off adblock would help. You can still see all the entries, you just have to click the Next button every 20 entries.

In response to post #55811631.

Aoikani wrote:

I checked my Forum profile and found I've been posting in the wrong threads. Even though I posted in the other New Design threads, no admins or designers have seemed to comment on the issue of eye strains from the new design. Can I please have some comment on the plans to address this? That's all I care about.

Several supporters of the new design have commented "just decrease the page size" which would help, but it then makes it even worse to read.

You really expect a comment for every person that leaves feedback?

In response to post #55813686.

themrspartan wrote: If you're going to switch it back to the regular interface, can you at make the manual download button work the same way as the new interface? It was pretty good being able to click manual and have it just start when there was only one file.

Who said they're switching back?

Aoikani wrote:

No, I don't expect a comment for every person, that's just foolish and selfish maybe even borderline trolling. It's just, I'm not the only one concerned about this one issue and all the other posters that I have followed who share the same concerns had no response or feedback. I don't know if this is being addressed and I don't know if there is a thread that informs the community of the changes. I'm just trying to find out if this is being worked on. Seriously, I've been checking everyday on the progress.

In response to post #55815126.

Aoikani wrote:

Aoikani wrote:

No, I don't expect a comment for every person, that's just foolish and selfish maybe even borderline trolling. It's just, I'm not the only one concerned about this one issue and all the other posters that I have followed who share the same concerns had no response or feedback. I don't know if this is being addressed and I don't know if there is a thread that informs the community of the changes. I'm just trying to find out if this is being worked on. Seriously, I've been checking everyday on the progress.

I don't think the progress is public a lot aside for the visible changes and possibly closing solved bugs on git. There's already improvements coming in place as a follow-up of the feedback the community gave. Edited by Ethreon

In response to post #55731251.

DiaborMagics wrote: Alright, I see there are many people with (mostly valid) complaints, others whom just say 'I hate it', without offering any constructive criticism and lastly, people whom actually help with usable feedback. And more than I could add at this point, because I must admit I have not used the new layout for more than 5 minutes.

Instead of doing any of that, I would like to ask a question (and okay, state 1 thing clearly, even if I know it's in vain: I would very much like it if the old.nexusmods.com would not disappear and for us to get the option to turn it on or off by default. If we are logged in, www.- will redirect us to old.- if we desire that).

The question is: why is there this much focus on mobile use?

The reason why I ask you this, is because Skyrim is a laptop/desktop game, not a mobile game. I use the website on my phone, too, but that is only to quickly check things. I believe that the new design takes us away from the heart, the main focus of the website: to find mods quickly, along with all the needed information and to download and track them when wanted.

The downloading part - I don't think any user does this on their mobile devices, correct me if I'm wrong. And even if some do (although I wouldn't know why), I think that is only a really small percentage there.

I personally feel like the new design impacts desktop/laptop use negatively, for as far as I have seen it - it hurt my eyes in a litteral, non-exaggerated sense when I first saw it, as there was too much strain put on them all at once - everything is designed in tiles/images too big for good usability with a mouse and everything is slower and harder to find.

In my opinion, desktop/laptop use should always take priority for sites such as these, because they are mostly directed at computer gaming and thus computer users. Not mobile users.

In short, we are moving too far away from what I believe this website should focus on and that is a waste of time and effort on not only your part, but on everyone's. I must admit I have not even used the new website on even my phone yet, because I have old.nexusmods.com/skyrim on its home screen. I almost have no doubts about the new design working very well (maybe too well (too big images and buttons perhaps, if the desktop version is any indication)) on phones and tablets, but again, that should not be the focus in my opinion. Even if I check the website with my phone, the previous version was easy enough to navigate on a smaller iPhone 4 and it is also easy to navigate on a tablet, or bigger Galaxy A5 2017. All I have to do is zoom in and I can use the old version perfectly fine, no matter on which mobile device I use it.

And even though I use it on my phone, 95% of my time spent on this website, is through Google Chrome and Firefox on either a desktop or laptop.

Do with my explanation as you will, but I would very much appreciate an answer to my question.

Just to be thorough: The question is: why is there this much focus on mobile use?

Thanks in advance,

DiaborMagics

To answer your question from my perspective, playing Skyrim is 100% at the desktop for me. However, about 85% of my time on the Nexus is on mobile. I travel extensively for work and precious time at home I want to game, not read the Nexus. Even when I'm home gaming, I'll check the Nexus on my phone, well, because my PC is running the game, duh. So I am constantly on the Nexus while mobile keeping up with new mods, posting, watching videos, etc.

Mobile use for Nexus is essential IMO. Edited by jbvertexx