Oblivion Crashes On New Game

Xamrin

Well, since I can't identify an issue in your load order, I'll go for the primitive solution here. Set all your mods to inactive, and try starting a new game. If it works, it's a mod problem.

Then, if it is a mod problem, to identify the mod that's causing it, activate one mod and try if it works; if it does, activate another mod, and try. And so on until you find which activation is the one that sets the problem on.

You can do it in set of threes, since your mod list is long. Activate three mods and try; if it works, do it again and so on. When it doesn't, you'll know is one of the three last mods you activated the one causing the problem.

I know, I know, it is pretty basic, but it should work; and if it seems that it takes too much time, it probably is faster than expecting a solution from someone here on Nexus Forums. So, with that taken in consideration, I'd say this is the best move.

Well, since I can't identify an issue in your load order, I'll go for the primitive solution here. Set all your mods to inactive, and try starting a new game. If it works, it's a mod problem.

Then, if it is a mod problem, to identify the mod that's causing it, activate one mod and try if it works; if it does, activate another mod, and try. And so on until you find which activation is the one that sets the problem on.

You can do it in set of threes, since your mod list is long. Activate three mods and try; if it works, do it again and so on. When it doesn't, you'll know is one of the three last mods you activated the one causing the problem.

I know, I know, it is pretty basic, but it should work; and if it seems that it takes too much time, it probably is faster than expecting a solution from someone here on Nexus Forums. So, with that taken in consideration, I'd say this is the best move.

Nope. Even with the mods off it crashes.

(Verifying game cache doesn't help)

Edited by Xamrin

So strange. Try deleting the Oblivion.ini in /*YourUserName*/Documents/MyGames/Oblivion.

I recently had a problem I couldn't solve and it was an ini issue. If you delete it, Oblivion will create a new one at the moment you execute it again, so if it is the .ini it'll be solved then. Of course, the new .ini will have the default oblivion configuration; if you had mods that requested you to tweak the Oblivion.ini file, you'll have to do it again. As I said, it happened to me recently with another problem and it worked. The .ini file tends to mess up when you use several mods, I don't know why.

So strange. Try deleting the Oblivion.ini in /*YourUserName*/Documents/MyGames/Oblivion.

I recently had a problem I couldn't solve and it was an ini issue. If you delete it, Oblivion will create a new one at the moment you execute it again, so if it is the .ini it'll be solved then. Of course, the new .ini will have the default oblivion configuration; if you had mods that requested you to tweak the Oblivion.ini file, you'll have to do it again. As I said, it happened to me recently with another problem and it worked. The .ini file tends to mess up when you use several mods, I don't know why.

Deleting the INI didn't help.

If your game crashes only on new game, it could be an issue with the Race menu (this is, race_sex_menu.xml file) or with the CharGen scripts, since both are immediately ran at new game. So, in order to see if this is the problem, I must ask whether you use a mod that plays with the UI, like DarnifiedUI, since this touches the race_sex_menu.xml, or if whether you or some mod you installed changed the initial part of Oblivion, like the SkipTutorial mod, or messed with the CharGen quest.

EDIT: I see now that you installed Better Menu Controls. Maybe this added a new race_sex_menu.xml file, since it messes with the menus in general. You should check that; this is, if in Data, in the Menu/s folder, there is another folder called CharGen with a modded race_sex_menu.xml file. If you do, delete it; the game will start using the original .xml file (contained in one of the .bsa files that Oblivion has by default) and with some luck your new game will run.

Edited by PkSanTi

If Pk's suggestion doesn't fix things all I can suggest is to start out with a completely vanilla re-install and install one mod at a time and test thoroughly in between.

When you add one mod to a working game and then it breaks knowing where to start troubleshooting becomes a trivial task.