'out of memory' issues questions

alarmedxclock

Hi everyone,

I'm having some out of memory issues and had some questions to help me optimise my build order properly.

My Specs: i5 3750k, AMD 7950 3GB, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 256 GB SSD

My Load Order

FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
ClassicPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
CaravanPack.esm
YUP - Base Game + All DLC.esm
Sortomatic.esm
SomeguySeries.esm
Ambient Temperature.esm
JIP Selective-Fire.esm
Advanced Recon Tech.esm
NVInteriors_Core.esm
Interior Lighting Overhaul - Core.esm
Detect Traps.esm
New Vegas Redesigned 3.esm
ELECTRO-CITY - CompletedWorkorders.esm
NVInteriors_ComboEdition.esm
Lucky38Suite_Reloaded.esm
Tales from the Burning Sands.esm
FCOMaster.esm
Gomorrah Redesigned v2.esp
NVInt_ARoomWithAView.esm
Interior Lighting Overhaul - L38PS.esm
ELECTRO-CITY - Highways and Byways.esm
Caliber.esm
CaliberXgunrunners.esm
CaliberXhonesthearts.esm
Bitter Springs Redesigned.esp
Military NV Backpacks.esm
Casa Madrid Redesigned.esp
Project Nevada - Core.esm
D.E.I.M.O.S..esm
GRARG.esm
Project Nevada - Extra Options.esm
oHUD.esm
FPSWeaponWheel.esp
JIP Realistic Weapon Overheating.esp
JIP Companions Command & Control.esp
JIP Improved Recipe Menu.esp
The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
The Weapon Mod Menu.esp
FlashlightNVSE.esp
CASM with MCM.esp
Centered 3rd Person Camera.esp
Better Game Performance.esp
Interior Lighting Overhaul - Ultimate Edition.esp
Vurt's WFO.esp
CutContent.esp
Tweaks&Fixes.esp
Better Burned Man.esp
EVE FNV - ALL DLC.esp
Legion Quests Expanded.esp
YuriTweaksMerged.esp
JSawyer Ultimate.esp
vault22FloralOverhaul.esp
WeaponModsExpanded.esp
MiscGameplayModsMerged2.esp
WMX-DLCMerged.esp
TheInheritance.esp
tmzLODadditions.esp
Unofficial Patch Plus.esp
TrooperOverhaul-Dragbody.esp
RaestlozFactionArmorEnhancement.esp
NewVegasBountiesIII.esp
EMR-StealthSuitMkII.esp
MachienzoGameplayMerged.esp
MTB.esp
OWB-Path Lights.esp
ADAM Complete.esp
ADAM - MERGE.esp
NewVegasBounties.esp
NewVegasBountiesII.esp
ILOMerged.esp
Laurens_Bathroom_poetry.esp
housemod.esp
Boacombat2glove.esp
Distributed Necklaces and Chains.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main NV.esp
Ragdolls.esp
Conelrad 640-1240.esp
ImmersivePickupSoundsFNV.esp
LightUpAndSmokeThoseCigarettes_edisleado.esp
Mojave Arsenal.esp
Ultimate Illness Mod.esp
UnderwaterFX.esp
LootMenu.esp
TakeYourTime.esp
IMPACT.esp
ILO - NVInteriors Project.esp
ReconMerged.esp
Project Nevada - Dead Money.esp
Project Nevada - Gun Runners' Arsenal.esp
Project Nevada - Honest Hearts.esp
Project Nevada - Lonesome Road.esp
Project Nevada - Old World Blues (No Cyberware).esp
Economy Overhaul.esp
NewGameplayMerged2.esp
DYNAVISION 3.esp
Improved Sound FX - WMX - Merged Major DLCs.esp
Improved Sound FX - Merged Major DLCs.esp
christinecos.esp
FNV Realistic Wasteland Lighting - All DLC.esp
New Vegas Redesigned 3.esp
Bashed Patch, 0.esp
F&L V2 Merged Patch 2.esp

The main texture packs I'm using (in order)

MGs Neat Clutter

Textures over Time

NMC High

Ojo Bueno High

Book of water

First, I'm having a lot of out of memory bugs which I presume is just coming from having too many high texture mods. I've gone through all the troubleshooting options on the nexus http://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Fallout_NV_Mod_Conflict_Troubleshooting

with the exception of ENB Boost as I know this may help but I value having decent AA and when I did try it I still got the same errors. Is there any other ideas anyone has, maybe a load order issue or a dodgy mod which can cause big memory leaks?

Secondly, when referring to FNVs 4gb limit is than just RAM, or a combination of RAM+VRAM? When I have memory issues and I check performance monitors I only seem to be using around 2gb of each and I wondered if that was connected.

Finally, does having multiple large texture mods cause more strain, even if only one set of textures is actually used in game. For example, does having NMC and Ojo Bueno cause the equivalent strain of having both full texture packs being in game at once, or are the only textures which matter the ones that are being used in-game?

Thank you for reading through all of this and for having any suggestions

Edited by alarmedxclock

It looks like you only have 3GB of "system ram" and 8GB of "DDR3" VRAM. The 4GB patch will only let you use the maximum of a little over 2GB of "system ram" for your game as it has to keep the remainder for the OS. So that is your primary memory limitation (not the VRAM). See the "2-4GB game memory limits and solutions" article in my signature for details.

Please see the 'Solutions to "Crash To Desktop" (CTD) problems' section in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide. But that 3GB limit is your biggest problem.

Different "texture packs" may overlap to some extent, but also may cover differences the others don't. So combining multiple packs may cause an increase in the total number of higher resolution textures overall. Eventually you can overwhelm the game's builtin video rendering cache system, which will tend to be the bottleneck before you fill up the 8GB of VRAM. However, that is more likely to manifest as "stuttering" instead of as "out of memory" errors.

-Dubious-

Thanks for the replies! I'm already using the latest 4gb patcher and have tried the older 4gb launcher to check that it wasn't an issue the newer patcher.

Just to clarify, my graphics card has 3gb of VRAM and I have 8gb of system RAM so my system is 64-bit and doesn't suffer the problems from the article you linked. Apologies if I wrote my specs confusingly before. When I made a log of my VRAM usage, it only got to around 2gb at any one time.

So I'm wondering whether the '4gb limit' is just referring to system RAM, or to system RAM and VRAM? My question came from looking at how much resources FNV is using and it seems to be around 2gb RAM and 2gb VRAM, rather than getting to 4gb of RAM before saying 'out of memory'.

I've gone through all the out of memory steps on that guide, including changing the heap size via both NVSE and NVSR, using purge cells and enb boost (albeit to a limited extent for ENB Boost as I don't want to play without AA for this playthrough).

Edited by alarmedxclock

The 4GB Patch only affects "system memory" that is given to the game's use. It is not counted with VRAM, which is video card specific and separate. ENBoost takes from the "system memory" remaining after 4GB is allocated to the game to provide additional buffer space to the video card (between the VRAM and disk drive in speed).

If you are usually not getting more than 2GB of either type of RAM, then it suggests your "out of memory" (OOM) error is happening in a burst. Try to see if you can determine a set of circumstances in which you can reliably cause the error. That might provide a clue.

There should be entries in the Windows "Eventlog" around the time of those OOM errors. Please see the "Windows Error Messages" section of the wiki "How to read most Bethesda game error logs" article. Also check the NVSE logs for "error" messages. (There will be "warnings" but you can ignore them.)

-Dubious-

Hi, thanks for your further help!

So I can replicate the issue by running around, particularly in open areas and in and out of buildings. I run out of the NCR correctional factility, go up to get a view of Primm then run back in. I get an out memory error by going into the main building inside the compound. I also found a similar issue at one point going into any goodsprings interior.

The error I recieved from NVAC was as followed:

22224743 e 00ED2C9E C0000005 FalloutNV.exe
22224743 ! _OUT_OF_ _MEMORY_ FalloutNV.exe

I've now managed to get that error multiple times replicating the same walking path. However I get no errors in the NVSE log.

In terms of resource usage, my VRAM never goes above ~2200mb with no spike at the time of crashing. RAM for FNV doesn't go above ~2200mb either. CPU usage never peaks above around 80% so I'm not meeting the 4gb limit or any other physical limits.

Searching around for that NVAC error reveals nothing of use and no errors appear on the windows event viewer. Any ideas?

The NVAC error log is helpful. It's reporting that you are getting an Application Error: "Exception code: 0xc0000005" from FalloutNV.exe. This is actually a fairly common error. Please see 'Cause-3' in the 'Issue: Application load Windows error(s)' entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

The common point in your described activities is transitioning from exteriors to interiors. See the 'Issue: CTD on interior/exterior/"fast travel" cell change' entry in the "Troubleshooting" guide article as well.

-Dubious-