Oh no... this is just what I need! :(

I keep getting random 'static' or 'noise' on my monitor. Naturally, since it's a cheap monitor, I assumed it was the monitor. Instead, I think it may be more disappointing. You see, I installed my own PSU and video card both at the same time, and those were the first PC components I ever installed, so there's a high chance of error. I don't think the fault lies with the vga monitor because when I turn it off and then back on nothing changes, but tapping on the case of my PC clears the static temporarily. Sooo... ****. What loose cable should I be looking for? One from the PSU to somewhere, or the PCI-E connection, or what? No power cord connects to my GTX 460, that's apparently handled through the PCI-E 16x connection. Is it a failing video card, do you think? This really isn't an old one. Could it be because it's factory overclocked? I'm fumbling in the dark here, and I'd appreciate help.

Edit:

I also heard that this can be caused by bad speakers (idk), and my speakers are not only very cheap, but one of them doesn't work half the time. Hmmm...

What do you think the chances are that I'm that lucky?

Edited by Rennn

You can easily find out if it's the speakers, just unplug them from the PC and mains and see if the problem goes away. Also check that your VGA cable isn't laying across the power lead for something.

If the static is a sound, I would suspect the audio and not the video. Unplug the sound cable and see if the static goes away. - wiggle the cable to the monitor and see if it shows then. Clean the conector with a stiff brush. Look in the connector to see if any pins are bent over. If that doesn't do anything,

Reseat the video card. Be sure you power completely down and unplug the power cord first. Then remove the card, use a small stiff brush such as an old toothbrush to clean out the connector on the motherboard, Wipe down the connector on the video card - DO NOT use anything abrasive - such as an eraser - to clean the contacts as that can remove the thin gold plating.

Go ahead and clean any dust that has accumulated on the fan out while you have it removed.

Then reinstall the card, make absolutely sure it is pressed all the way down evenly.

I keep getting random 'static' or 'noise' on my monitor.

How does it look? A photo would be good. Or just describe it better. Is it over the whole screen, is it b/w or color, does it change or stay still, etc.

A few points:

* GTX460 should have a power cable to it. In fact it has two connectors and both need a cable. Are you sure there's none?

* If it's a CRT, try plugging it into something else.

* Nvidia cards are vulnerable to chip desoldering, a severe issue. It often manifests itself as fixed color noise over parts of the screen.

@jim_uk

It's apparently not the speakers, as unplugging them did nothing. *sigh*

@blove

Whoa, sorry, noob mistake. I even forgot about the two connectors from when I installed it. Yes, there are two 6-pin power connectors, in fact, one of them seems to be at an uncomfortable angle because one of the casings of a fan is pressing against it. I'll look into that, but seeing as I'm not getting game crashes I'm not sure what the chances are of it being that.

In addition, I am using a dvi to vga adapter. I'd like for it just to be the monitor, but that's not likely. It seems like if I tap firmly on the case the static goes away. *sigh again*

@FMod

The 'static' isn't exactly like static, I'm just not sure how to describe it better. You know if you go into a photo editing program like Gimp or Photoshop and 'slide' every-other pixel over across the screen? That's what it looks like. It's like rows of pixels are being offset horizontally and creating a static effect. There's no sound, by the way, and it's on the whole screen.

Edited by Rennn

Make sure that the connections on the adapter are screwed together and that the adapter is screwed into the video card. Try using another adapter if you can. Oh, and no VGA cable kinks, no hard turns. If the molding on the VGA cable is "wrinkled" it is or has been bent too far. Edited by blove

Well, a photo would describe it. It's just not clear.

Anyway, make sure the video card is connected to the PSU. It has these 6-pin connectors. Or that the card really has nowhere you could stick a 6-pin. It's supposed to have these connectors, two of them.

I more firmly affixed the power connectors and so far I haven't had the problem again. In fact, the bands on the screen (faint moving bands that show up on dark colors), are now so faint as to be virtually unnoticeable. I'm hoping that it's fixed, especially as I doubt it would show up on a screenshot.

Ok the faint bands your talking about is definitely graphics related ..The video card is not rendering correctly , could be the video card itself (uh oh), faulty PSU or it could be you did something wrong installing it .You described things pressing against things , so things are tight in your case, if its the video card being affected then there can be a slight twist or bend to the connectors of the video card itself in the motherboard slot. My suggestion is check every connection and make sure everything is connected that needs to be and securely .Then check to see how those cables are lying or arranged in your case, if your dealing with a micro case many of these are fold over types and when you fold it over , cables tend to shift. .Hopefully its just this , cause what your describing is a rendering issue and that over time could burn your video card out and in the meantime you will be getting annoying crashes and such and it could happen a year or 2 down the road.. Hopefully of the faulty PSU , faulty chipset on your video card , faulty drivers its this whole connection cable thing or just drivers cause the last 2 you can fix on your own other two are hardware.

If this problem persists it might be helpful to post what it is you have for hardware and the case also.