Legal limits of official/vanilla assets

pra

A user keeps nagging me to include a Far Harbor texture with my mod, so that I can drop the Far Harbor requirement.

I somehow doubt that this would be legal. But now I'm wondering: inhowfar am I actually allowed to reuse and redistribute offical assets? Where are the limits? Is this even defined somewhere?

I mean, it seems to be ok to use modified meshes and textures in mods. But, just packing a DLC texture for users who don't have the DLC, isn't that the same as the oh so evil usage of those paid mod assets? Nexus seems to consider that to be "piracy", but I can't seem to find any actual written rules in regard of the whole thing...

It's not your fault that the user doesn't have that DLC. You can't care for that. If you include that you get in trouble, not him. It's as simple as that.

From the ToS:

• Absolutely no copyrighted work is to be used without permission of the original creator. This includes content from other games, from DLCs, music creators or from other file authors. This also includes members from countries that do not recognise copyright laws.

I'm not a staff member but I am quite sure it applies between games in series too. People can't port Oblivion stuff to Skyrim so the same should apply for Fallout 3 to 4.

I accidentally removed the need for DLCs in two of my mods and as soon as I realized, I pulled them down... It's against Nexus rules...

Now I'm using the assets from that mod and creating a new one with everything from NPCs to quests and a new interior cell... However, some of the dialogue for the player comes from the DLCs as well... So I created a simple version, without the DLC meshes or textures and without the quests for non-DLC users, and the full version for DLC users...

So if you really want non-DLC users to use your mod, strip out the DLC items... Otherwise, though for them...