skyrim getting boring

gengar807

1.Skyrim is getting boring because the questing leaves a lot to be desired when compared to oblivion.

You're playing fetch with most of Skyrim's quests, it feels like you're doing the same thing over and over again on the first play through. The only thing that keeps you playing beyond that point is wanting to find out what happens next in the quest line. After awhile, you pretty much know what to expect from nearly every quest in the game, they're repetitive and uninteresting. And there's just too much dungeon crawling...

2. THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO! You basically complete quests, sell loot, upgrade, back to questing... Its a sandbox game with almost linear gameplay. Since there is so little to do in Skyrim, you start to notice just how bare the game really is. No spell making, no arena, no loot playing, no horse racing, no fight clubs, no disposition system for conversation, no sexy parties, no oblivion realms, no worshipers, no fame, no vampire clan, you can't join vampire/werewolf hunters, no acrobatics, no dragon pets... I think you get my point. Imagine if Grand Theft Auto started with really weak graphics but it had a lot to do. Buy property, drive anything, workout, date, learn fighting techniques, wield a bunch weapons... etc. Then with each new release of the game, the graphics got better, but the story got weaker and elements of the game were removed until the only thing you could do was steal cars(Cars with great graphics) and follower the main missions.

3. Nothing matters.

You save the world from dragons... Not only does no one care, but the dragons are still there, hell, there's more of them now.

You become listener of the Dark Brotherhood, but you still have to go out and kill people like a low level member.

Become leader of the companions... Okay, good for you.

Get married. No one acknowledges it and your spouse is boring! 100 gold a day and a home cooked meal that you'll never actually use.

Eh...

4. Minor improvements...

*Save the world from dragons: Everyone calls you "Dovahkiin" or "Dragonborn". Weaker dragons flee, named dragons land and challenge you.

*Become Listener of the Dark Brotherhood. Promote remaining members to Speaker, hire more speakers, have them recruit members. Hear the Night Mother, pass it on to your speakers, get paid if all goes well.

*Become Leader of the companions. Recruit members and have the option to turn members into werewolves. Wadge war on the werewolf hunters.

*Get married: Have a real wedding with every dressed properly, a kiss, and a honeymoon of some sort. An option to have/raise children. A wife/husband that gets angry/upset/worried when you're away.

Expanding Skyrim's little features could make the game a lot better. -_-

Too late for that I guess. The game is still somewhat enjoyable to me.

I think I can paraphrase your major points (with which I agree), like so: there's NO character development. IMO, the game would have been a whole ton better if, rather than having umpteen gazillion same-as-the-last companions, they had concentrated on actually developing character for a few of them. Rather than umpteen gazillion small same-as-the-last quests for your char, concentrated on making a few in which your char can develop an actual personality, I.E. "role play" - what a concept for a RPG!

Having said that, I do still enjoy playing Skyrim. Though I stopped thinking of it as a RPG quite some time ago. It's more just a wander-around-the-pretty (with tons of graphics mods to help that out, mind you) -environment-and-kill-stuff, adventure game.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did a lot of great things with skyrim, but I think they overlooked some points in favor of things like world design and dragons picking up random creatures (that's an example, not the only thing). Things like combat, quest quality, and exploration are all lacking. The world is great, and there's lots to see, but when you really examine the world it is very linear in design, where as Oblivion was very large and open. Hopefully with the next game they will focus more on content quality and combat.

If they could improve the creation kit just a bit more there might be more interest in mod creation. The mods for skyrim seem mostly dull, not very many big or interesting ones. I'm new to the mod scene so maybe I'm missing a big reason for that? Perhaps we will see more big mods come out over the next few months.

I've got over 1000 hours on 4 characters and two platforms and I'm not bored with it. Still finding new areas.

Sometimes I don't even think I speak the same language as everyone else. Oblivion? I can't get into it at all. People are complaining about Skyrim's landscape being drab? Is miles and miles of green grass and trees supposed to be better? In Skyrim I can tell what hold I am by the vegetation.

Skyrim's UI is broken? I don't get it. Oblivion's UI was crap. Everything squeezed into a little box. Even the map. What's good about that? I guess maybe because I'm not a WASD mouse clicker?

Even with the mods you still have to suffer through the shrek-like NPC heads.

Towns are too small in Skyrim? Ok... but I walked through the Imperial City in Oblivion and found a bunch of duplicate shops (pointless) and about a total of 8 voice actors for all the characters. Granted, I'm sick to death of hearing Stephen Russel's stupid voice in skyrim, but it's better than Oblivion.

Characters don't level well passed 40? Well... that's because enemies only level to 50. What do you expect? By level 50 you have more than enough perks to develop whatever type of character you're playing as. Anything else is a bonus, and has a lot to do with why leveling slows down after 50. Because the skills you use for that character are already leveled. Any leveling you do after 50 is because you're playing outside of your normal style anyways.

I don't know. All I know is I still love this game and I haven't used a single mod outside of a little fiddling I did myself with the CK.

Skyrim maybe boring on Consoles because there's no Mods!, but with mods the game is much more fun, and if you play in Melee or Mage base charchter that may be the problem, I think the Stealth System in Skyrim is amazing and it's never get boring to Packing a group of bandits when they doesn't even know that you behind them.

Same thing happens with all games if you take them to overkill. I DO think Oblivion was FAR more boring though; simply because everything EXACTLY the same. Every city looked identical, every cave was the same, every dungeon and eylied ruin was an identical, carbon copy of the last one you raided.

Its called modularitis, by my own terms. Another game that had this desiese is the Assassins Creed series, and practically every free-roam game in existence.

Edited by shuriken88

Only thing I feel missing in Skyrim in comparison to Oblivion were all the different artifacts and cool items you could find, sweep away, collect and put up as decoration in your house. Overall I've clocked in 120 hours in Skyrim and I still haven't started the main questline, along with not having grown tired with the game yet.

"Then with each new release of the game, the graphics got better, but the story got weaker and elements of the game were removed"

Yeah, I'd say that's a pretty fair description of the Elder Scrolls series.

I got bored with Skyrim months ago, but was going to play the other night. Unfortunately, I would have had to clean up all the pre-creation kit mods I had installed, and do several updates of the stuff I wanted to keep. Was not in the mood so played Borderlands.

I get tired of hearing the same dialog over and over again when you go into a hold or town from the same people, even the dialog from the bandits and such is still the same although the other night i got called a bastard while fighting a chief bandit.

I get tired of hearing the same dialog over and over again when you go into a hold or town from the same people, even the dialog from the bandits and such is still the same although the other night i got called a bastard while fighting a chief bandit.

Exactly right. "Thank you -so much- for retrieving the claw" Hey Lucan Valerius,...STFU ! Save the world from dragons, and no one cares. Get Lucan's claw, and you never hear the end of it. :facepalm: