Difference between Deleting and Initially Disabling references in the CK?

SovietSailor

Logically the need arises for either one or the other. Not both. If your mod never enables a disabled (initially or not) reference, there's rarely if ever a need for it to be created in the first place. And if it does enable a given reference then deletion isn't an option. That said, disabling is either always or almost always preferable to deletion for overall game stability. Edited by TheMastersSon

Logically the need arises for either one or the other. Not both. If your mod never enables a disabled (initially or not) reference, there's rarely if ever a need for it to be created in the first place. And if it does enable a given reference then deletion isn't an option. That said, disabling is either always or almost always preferable to deletion for overall game stability.

Most of what I'm deleting in a plugin of mine is stuff like trash and weirdly placed furniture. I probably should've disabled that, yeah?

Isn't there a way to fix that, so I don't have to go back and do all that work again? :confused:

You shouldn't need to start over...you can use the Undelete and Disable function in FO4Edit. It will undelete the refs, set them to Initially Disabled and I believe will place them in -Z coordinate out of the way. Not certain about the last bit since so always do this manually.

But yeah, you never want to delete vanilla refs. Set them to Initially Disabled and move them below ground/floor level. If another mod looks for a ref you've deleted it can cause CTD among other issues.

if you make a mod for your own use, you can delete stuff, but you have to remember what you deleted, in case you make another 1 for own use

if you planning to release any mod never delete anything, disable is the best option

or do what redrocket say

but the best way is disable pull them under the ground in CK, if not under the ground CK will still show the disable stuff when you load the esp again

if i remember correct when you push - in Ck a new window pop up, with that you can mass disable stuff

Edited by speedynl

Also, I just tested a plugin I made where I outright deleted trash in Vault 95, and there were missing walls all over. So I think I answered my question :D

I guess I might just start over.

The missing walls in vault 95 are caused by disabled Pre-Combined meshes and the Roombounds and Portals (that were not very well done) taking over the optimization for the cell. To fix this you'll ether need to regenerate new Pre-Combined meshes and Visibility for Vault 95 (Preferable and the best option) or fix the shoddy work that beth did with the Roombounds and Portals.

Edit for clarification. When you edit anything in the cell Pre-Combined meshes are automatically disabled so when you deleted the trash you disabled them. Setting them to Initially Disabled would have also caused Pre-Combineds to be disabled.