Fallout 4 for roleplaying: yes or no?

valus22

Short version: is Fallout 4 good for roleplaying? (RP only, no main quest)

Long version:

I love Bethesda's games because of how you can forge your own reality using mods. In fact, I always skip the main quest thanks to "alternate start" mods and make my own story. This is what I did in Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

Now... I played Fallout 4's main quest once at my friend's house and while I didn't like the way it forces you to follow certain paths, choices, etc. I like its improved graphics and engine.

What worries me, though, is the very few side quests it appears to have - e.g. http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Fallout_4_side_quests (compare those to Skyrim or to the older Fallout 3 and NV)

So my question is: should I buy Fallout 4 or not? If I skip the main quest, would I find myself in a big empty sandbox with almost nothing to do?

Hmm - I think it's all about your mindset. I'm a long time - as in all the way from Fallout 1- Fallout player. Moreover I cannot help but do screenshots - usually developing into stories.

I was hesitant to buy FO4 because of what I heard of it. But - hey - it was Fallout so......... It is difficult to compare with earlier Fallout games. As I think was FO3 compared to 1, 2 and Tactics. I think New Vegas is a deeper and more - well.... dark game. Much better gameplay wise in my opinon.

FO4 is - to me- superficial, too politically correct and sorely lacking of the dark humor so prevalent in earlier games. Then - why do I play it?? Well - it IS a sandbox. It lets your imagination run wild. I really don't care about building elaborate towns/settlements. It's boring. And yet - as I start doing screens I MUST have some kind of logical background to set my characters against. So I'm off to building. And I DO like the - almost- limitless opportunities provided by mods to tailor your settlements/characters to suit your taste/idea of what this world is like.

My latest addition is one in which Nora escapes ahead of you. That of course is for a male cahracter only. But there are other mods out there allowing you other ways of starting your game once you've tried the vanila approach.

OK - sorry for rambling - I think the sidequests are not too bad. Each of your companions have their own. And then there are the radiant ones that'll drive you mad over time......... Still - mods can take care of that. I've heard a lot fo good things about Fusion City Rising - among others. The Far Harbor DLC is great. And it seems Nuka World is worth a try too.

I don't know if this answers any of your questions. I do not know Skyrim. Though I've heard some saying it is an beautiful but -as far as gameplay- empty game. I've had FO4 since it came out. And I haven't finished it yet. In spite of countless hours playing. You can check out my oics if you want to see waht I mean by doing small stories. And I am not the only one.

Hey, thanks for your reply Bernt. I know the game is a sandbox, but when you use an alternate start mod in FNV or Skyrim, the world feels alive: people living their lives, things happening, quests that have nothing do with the MQ, etc. In F4 my impression was either you play the main quest or you're stuck with some depressing barren landscape simulator... Doing screenshots you can certainly create more interesting stories, but I'd like to roleplay inside the game. Hopefully as you said the DLC and the bigger quest mods on the nexus can help with that.

there are plenty of sidequests. I've had many many playthroughs, and I almost always do different sidequests each time. the lack of different options or choices is real in a way, but there are a few different ways you can play the game. full dialogue is a must, and if you don't like barren, a foliage overhaul is important. the amount of game changing mods is massive, I recently installed a knockout framework and a pacify overhaul that works with it, so I can intimidate enemies, then I can exile them or knock them unconscious.

Roleplaying for me is simply pretending I am a character other than my real life self. Just playing Fallout 4 meets that requirement. It makes me into someone living in the suburb of Sanctuary before the bombs fell. For others, it means they are something superimposed on the game characters Nate and Nora, such as being a rogue thief Paladin Elf Lord who started the game somewhere outside Vault 111 and perhaps is offended at any insinuation they were ever a vault dweller.

Is Fallout 4 big enough for a big imagination? It depends on how imaginative you are.