Graphics File Formats

Themisive

I have been playing Oblivion recently (also Morrowind and the expansion packs), however, not too long ago I did ask about graphics file formats. This issue came up since I was producing PDF files and embedding JPEG files for illustration. At the same time I was wondering if I could convert JPEG files to DDS format. I was advised not to do so since both are what are called "lossy" formats. so I was advised to use a system such as Paint System (this uses a bitmap file) . However there were other formats given - all of which I have access to as of the time of writing - indeed I anticipate even more in years to come!

In each case I have made my own mods using the Construction Sets - which I am sure you will agree are fairly basic as far as Morrowind goes. However I do possess DDS Conveertor v 2.1 (as far as I know, the latest version). Obviously I do not wish to place the wrong type of graphics format in the wrong systems. In case you are wondering - I am working on a large-scale system for PDF modification. I have around 11 issues of a magazine to edit!

Anyway that is not your problem, what I would like to know is the following: What graphics types (jpeg &c) are "lossy" and which are not? That is the question.

JPEG and GIF are the most common lossy formats. They are used frequently for posting images online due to the compression saving a lot of space.

.BMP, .TIFF and .PNG are lossless. BMP are essentially uncompressed, as are TIFFs, PNGs are compressed in a lossless way, but because of how they work, they can lead to a large variation in file sizes (which is outside the scope of this discussion anyway).

Thanks, that gives me what I need; I want to get some images into a DDS and n.DDS format. as you will be aware, the onlyy way that is presently available is via a DDS converter. Unfortunately, you do need lossless images to start with as the DDS system is basically a loss system anyway.

For proffessional use I make my files in Adobe CS (.psd) and save in either .pdf or .png which are lossless. I use .pdf for sending to the printers.

.tiff is good but most people won't know what they are and may not be able to open them.

I recommend getting Adobe CS (Photoshop etc.) or GIMP. You can convert into most formats from the programs and choose compression levels. I haven't used GIMP but I understand it can do most things Adobe can.

I agree with your outlook

As I have found, Adobe (both Photoshop and Acrobat) tend to be extremely expensive. The reason I wanted a lossless graphics file is so if I decided to publish the document as a PDF file, I would not have troubles with compatibility issues.

I have published quite a few PDF files on my my website - all have JPEG illustrations - and without fail I get an error warning with respect to these files.

My site is devoted to various game walkthroughs and there is a link to the Adobe site, as all you need to read these files is the fre Adobe Acrobat Reader! The URL for my site is is My link ,. I hope you find this area to your needs

For proffessional use I make my files in Adobe CS (.psd) and save in either .pdf or .png which are lossless. I use .pdf for sending to the printers.

.tiff is good but most people won't know what they are and may not be able to open them.

I recommend getting Adobe CS (Photoshop etc.) or GIMP. You can convert into most formats from the programs and choose compression levels. I haven't used GIMP but I understand it can do most things Adobe can.