Removing vertices results in texture bugs ingame

KnorKater

There's a huge broken down ship in Fallout 4, and I'm in the process of fixing it. Originally it consisted of three parts, but I combined those in NifSkope. So far, everything worked fine. I was able to import them into Blender and from there back into the game. But now that I started fixing all the holes and broken down beams, I ran into an issue I can't figure out myself. I removed some beams inside the ship, and everything looked fine in Blender and NifSkope, but using it inside the game results in a weird texture issue. Here's a screenshot of the Creation Kit preview. Looks the same in game:

ergegegr.jpg

This is what it looks like in Blender and NifSkope:

ggggg.jpg

jjjjjj.jpg

It looks like there are textures attached to some of the coordinates where the removed beams were, but there are no vertices of them left, and they weren't connected to other parts of the mesh.

I can, hower, copy the unaltered node from the original file via NifSkope and the problem is gone, so the file itself was converted and saved correctly. I think I'm missing something here. Something I must do when deleting parts of textured meshes, I just have no clue what exactly. Looking at the UV Map in Blender didn't help.

I'd really appreciate it, if someone could help me with this. :-/

in Nifskope

Mesh > Update Tangent Space

Unfortunately didn't help, but thank you for the suggestion. :smile:

Probably making sure smoothing groups and normals are correct in Blender would fix this before export.

I don't know what that is, but thank you for pointing me in a direction. Hopefully that will help.

I got rid of the most annoying ones after syncronizing object and UV selection before deleting vertices in Blender. There is still a small one appearing after converting the BSTriShape to a BSMeshLODTriShape in NifSkope (the object has the same property in the original file), so I refrain from doing so for now.

The normals seem alright in Blender, and that part doesn't use any smooting.

It's for placement in settlements, and since it's an awfully big ship you should be able to see it from far away. I placed it for testing without LOD data, and it looked really weird to have such a huge object pop into view just a hundred meters in front of you. Besides, I copied the settings from the original file, so I thought they'd be fine. Didn't notice that the settings have to change along with the number of triangles.